Evan Roman

agw0038

can anyone provide some incite on Evan Roman?

Why is dodge so high on this guy?

Talking to some of the players, apparently Roman is pretty dominant at the CB position during practices. Some players have said the poor start against Malcolm Kelly(OU) has killed his confidence. He seems to possess the speed neccessary to play the position. My one beef is his height and the fact that it seems he's always playing the other teams tallest receiver. I dont know whether to blame Mendoza for not recognizing the mismatches or maybe Roman just isnt that good. I've been reading other topics on the lack of creativity in our defensive scheme. Perhaps thats what the problem is. Our strategy is so bad, every play our corners are left on a island.

Also, anybody have a recruiting update?

His height is certainly a concern. As far as a recruiting update, Oldtimer does an excellent job staying up to date on the happenings. In order to get into the "VIP" area of the board you need to message Harry and tell him your connections to NT, and then he will give you the thumbs up or down.

haha....

Insight.

dont hold it against me bro...

There are several spelling/grammar natzis on this board and they will jump on you if the jumping looks good. My best advice, don't give them a reason to jump.

I used to think the problem was Ramone. I now think not. When QBs have nothing but time back there to pick a defense apart, no CB can match up with a good receiver. Our defensive woes lie on the backs of a weak defensive line and our scheme. Ain't nothing going to change until we get better DL play and get some blitzing in the defensive packages. Now, if we had a really strong DL, we could get by without blitz packages, but that is obviously not the case. No QB pressure = no wins! I don't understand the mentality that says that blitzing equals opening yourself up to getting burned. What the heck do we have right now? We are getting torched! Let's try some blitzing and create some QB pressure and we will see this defense get some confidence!

I used to think the problem was Ramone. I now think not. When QBs have nothing but time back there to pick a defense apart, no CB can match up with a good receiver. Our defensive woes lie on the backs of a weak defensive line and our scheme. Ain't nothing going to change until we get better DL play and get some blitzing in the defensive packages. Now, if we had a really strong DL, we could get by without blitz packages, but that is obviously not the case. No QB pressure = no wins! I don't understand the mentality that says that blitzing equals opening yourself up to getting burned. What the heck do we have right now? We are getting torched! Let's try some blitzing and create some QB pressure and we will see this defense get some confidence!

you are correct.

Theres nothing wrong with running a defense based on making reads and reacting to what the offense gives you. The problem comes occurs when, like you said, our personnel doesn't fit our strategy. I just truly believe we are not aggresive enough on defense. Aggressiveness doesn't necessarily translate to blitzing. In certain situations we just need the offense to think we're blitzing. Rarely do u see linebackers walk up to the line of scrimmage before the ball snapped. I've yet to seen any stunts by the D-Line. Mendoza seems to be trying to mold his players into a bend dont break type defense. Bend dont break will not work with the players we have now. We dont have enough speed on the edges(thankyou OU), and our running backs bite hard on the run fake. Why? because they are out there trying to the 3-4 with only three linebackers.

With big-hitting LBs like we have, you would think Mendoza would at least zone blitz a little. Dont get me wrong he doesnt need to jail-break it like our neighbors to the south at Rich & Retarded University, but a little grittiness would be nice.

There is no sense of urgency on defense.

Evan plays his ass off. He gives it all he's got. He would make a great nickel back or be good in dime packages but we don't run a whole lot but straight up 4-3 (base).

His hair is his own deal. You take him out of the OU game and nobody would be talking about him (in a negative way).

Leave my boy Evan alone, he is just not a cover 1 corner, against the OU and Arkansas of the world. Evan would be very capable in multiple scheme defenses, coming off the edge, etc. etc.

TD hired Mendoza because Mendoza shut SLC down several games in HS. That is why Mendoza is on TD's staff, he gave TD hell in HS, its the truth, straight up. If you don't believe me, as Todd himself. Hell, Vito can get that info from Todd.

TD made the call on getting Evan, since all of you trust in Todd, believe in Todd, etc., then maybe Evan is being played in the wrong situations. Our personnel adjustments have not been the best, you can't blame that on Evan.

Edited by Dodge2007

you are correct.

Theres nothing wrong with running a defense based on making reads and reacting to what the offense gives you. The problem comes occurs when, like you said, our personnel doesn't fit our strategy. I just truly believe we are not aggresive enough on defense. Aggressiveness doesn't necessarily translate to blitzing. In certain situations we just need the offense to think we're blitzing. Rarely do u see linebackers walk up to the line of scrimmage before the ball snapped. I've yet to seen any stunts by the D-Line. Mendoza seems to be trying to mold his players into a bend dont break type defense. Bend dont break will not work with the players we have now. We dont have enough speed on the edges(thankyou OU), and our running backs bite hard on the run fake. Why? because they are out there trying to the 3-4 with only three linebackers.

With big-hitting LBs like we have, you would think Mendoza would at least zone blitz a little. Dont get me wrong he doesnt need to jail-break it like our neighbors to the south at Rich & Retarded University, but a little grittiness would be nice.

There is no sense of urgency on defense.

Minus Nuradeen and Pruitt this is the same 18 veterans with plenty of starts under their belts and plenty of experience that ranked 64th Nationally in 2006, which held opponents to 338 yards per game and 25 points per game. They ran the 3-4, Mendoza changed it back to a 4-3 and a conservative 4-3 at that. So to me, it's not the players and their abilities, it's the coach and the style of play he's asking them to play. And your dead on, NO blitzes, NO stunts and ZERO penetration. And unlike last years defense, this years defense has the luxury of a completely healthy Ike Thomas who has been playing the majority of the snaps. It makes me sick to see them having to go through this as I know they are proud. All of them came here under the expectations that they were going to be part of a very rich tradition that is MEAN GREEN defense. They came here knowing all about the Joe Greene's, Lance White's, the Kassells, Spencers and Kennedy's and Hit Man Jones and I'm sure they are all looking themselves in the mirror trying to find a solution. I love 'em to death for the fight they keep trying to put on and I know in my heart it's not them alone that's responsible.

Rick

NO blitzes, NO stunts and ZERO penetration.

Really not trying to get in a comparrison debate here, but did Mendoza's defense do any of the above at SLC? If so, why do we not seem to want to do it now? Our opponent's QB's have ALL DAY LONG to pass the ball. FFR posted a stat in the VIP board that simply blows my mind at the number of kickoff returns we have versus punt returns. If you know FFR, how many sacks does our defense have this year?

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Evan plays his ass off. He gives it all he's got. He would make a great nickel back or be good in dime packages but we don't run a whole lot but straight up 4-3 (base).

His hair is his own deal. You take him out of the OU game and nobody would be talking about him (in a negative way).

Leave my boy Evan alone, he is just not a cover 1 corner, against the OU and Arkansas of the world. Evan would be very capable in multiple scheme defenses, coming off the edge, etc. etc.

TD hired Mendoza because Mendoza shut SLC down several games in HS. That is why Mendoza is on TD's staff, he gave TD hell in HS, its the truth, straight up. If you don't believe me, as Todd himself. Hell, Vito can get that info from Todd.

TD made the call on getting Evan, since all of you trust in Todd, believe in Todd, etc., then maybe Evan is being played in the wrong situations. Our personnel adjustments have not been the best, you can't blame that on Evan.

Stopping Dodge's offense isn't as significant at a D-1 level. With the amount of teams there are many many different offensive schemes you will see. Just because our defense can stop our offense doesn't mean that it can stop the multiple formations of an OU, or the running game of an Arkansas. That much is obvious.

Our defense may be used to seeing a spread shotgun offense and working against a no huddle. What happens when another team just wants to cram is down our throats, or throw over our heads? It seems to me that Dodge's offense operates within 20 yards of itself, allowing for high completion percentage passes. It's a smart offense to run, no doubt, but not everyone runs it.

In addition, for all of you new comers and all of you folks who want to give the defense time...

I don't know how long you have been watching North Texas football but the reason some of us are so frustrated with our defense is that we know what THESE kids are capable of. These same players played much better last year. They have proven they have what it takes to be a decent defense. So, I am absolutely NOT buying the "let Dodge get his guys in here" argument.

They have no excuses. They have already shown us that they are playing below capabilities. I will be there next Saturday to yell and lift them up on the field. I am in no way saying they are giving up, that I am giving up, that they don't care, or that I don't care. I am merely saying that this is the reason some of us are impatient with the defense.

As for Evyn Roman. I have said many times that if we had 11 Evyn Romans hard headed play on defense we would be a better defense than the one we are now.

Mendoza coached with TD at SLC for 7 years. Where did he coach when he was shutting TD's teams down?