I Still Believe In Coach Dodge

SUMG

A lot of the rest of you can jump off the bandwagon...if you want to. That's your business.

For me, I'm sticking with Todd Dodge. The man's not an idiot. I believe that he'll get things fixed.

To me, the histrionics on this board.......4 games into his tenure......is ridiculous.

So, I'll be at his radio show tonight. But, I won't be there to lambaste him or Mendoza. I'll be there, to let him know that I still believe in him and THE MEAN GREEN.

Go Mean Green!

I agree. I'm not supporting them because I think what they have done so far is acceptable, they don't even believe that! However, it is 4 games into a season from a team that only won 5 games the past two years. There is a reason for that and it can't be fixed with the waving of a magic wand! This is a team that needed 7 ot's to beat FIU last year. We were, and are at the bottom! It takes time to get the pieces in place and most importantly - to learn how to win! When you lose two 14 pt leads, that tells me you need to learn how to win. You can talk about it as a coach, but until the team goes out there and does it - it hasn't been done!

Let's give these guys some time to get it done. Like him or hate - I believe DD was 0-5 in his 4th year, before he started turning things around. It won't take TD near the same amount of time to get competitive by way of his recruiting efforts alone. Not to mention, they've shown some promise on offense and I believe the D will get fixed.

Edited by GMoney

I don't think you have to worry about people on this board jumping off the Dodge bandwagon.

Of course, support doesn't mean blind support, people can go to every game, try to talk their neighbors into going with them, wear green, tailgate, etc, etc... and still criticize things they don't like.

The people I worry about jumping off the bandwagon are fans that only started following the team after Dodge started coaching. Are they going to be driven away? What buy in do they have?

Who said they were ready to fire Dodge?

"You're either with us or against us" doesn't work for this situation either.

We can be 100% behind Dodge and still want him to do things better.

I am 100% behind Dodge, will be for a long time.... I just don't agree with throwing a pass on 1st and goal, especially with the hind sight that it allows a record-setting return for a 100 yard interception touchdown!

A friend of a friend of a friend had an Indy' 500 car that had had some known mechanical difficulties and for the last 2 Indy 500 races had finished toward the end of the entire Indy 500 pack.

Well, that friend of a friend of a friend's Indy' 500 car owner knew exactly what to do. After the last terrible 2 showings of his car at the "500" he simply went out and hired another driver. Problem is, that that friend of a friend of a friend Indy 500 car owner still did nothing to improve the internal workings of this car; in other words, he still had the same car but with a different driver yet for whatever the reason, he expected successful results. Funny thing is that the results were the same with that same Indy 500 car yet all those who had followed this Indy 500 car owner thru the years just could not understand what the hell was wrong because after all............he had hired a new driver and with that car's same problems, he should have still finished at the front of the pack, right?

Coach Dodge, I am 1976 grad of UNT, a 30+ year follower of Mean Green football, played a little Texas HS football myself, was a Tri-Captain on my HS alma mater's football team my Senior year, was an All District safety my Senior year and if I hadn't been one of the slowest white kids on the entire Gulf Coast of Texas back in the day, who knows, I may have had an (outside) chance to play a little college football but................. to get back to the subject at hand here, I feel I know what you want to do in Mean Green Country that will get us out of this 2 1/2 decade rut and truly get people to quit merely talking about our potential at the University of North Texas--a subject many of us older nestors have (relunctantly) been listening to for the past 2 1/2 decades as we've been on one helluva' roller coaster ride in the NCAA football wildnerness--both 1-A, then -AA and now back in 1-A (see what I mean about the roller-coaster part)?

Coach, you have my undivided support and loyalty (and the patience of Job) to do what I feel you will do to get Mean Green football out of the Bottom 25. If I didn't feel you had all the ability and skins on the wall plus being the former starting UT QB you were in a program I'm sure you learned much down in Austin, I would not be posting this post or any other post about Mean Green football.

Most of us also like your style, your positive'isms on the radio and your availability to talk Mean Green football whenever asked. This means a lot to us. All this will pay off for you (and the rest of us) in due time. Keep the faith that you as a Methodist PK will most likely have. :thumbsup:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I can't believe Dodge called the 100 yard interception play either. What kind of coach would deliberately call a play that will give the other team points? A high school coach, that's who, and there is no place for that in our D-1 program. Between that play call and the simple basic high school cover 1, it's no wonder we got drilled by OU and Arkansas. If we still had the coaching staff that had the good sense to run the ball, and call complex and sophisticated division 1 zone coverages, we would not be getting steamrolled by the BCS schools.

A lot of the rest of you can jump off the bandwagon...if you want to. That's your business.

For me, I'm sticking with Todd Dodge. The man's not an idiot. I believe that he'll get things fixed.

To me, the histrionics on this board.......4 games into his tenure......is ridiculous.

So, I'll be at his radio show tonight. But, I won't be there to lambaste him or Mendoza. I'll be there, to let him know that I still believe in him and THE MEAN GREEN.

Go Mean Green!

Quite agree... Something about "the journey is just beginning".

Right now, I thought we would be 1-3 w/ a win over SMU instead of 0-4... SMU and FAU were close games... OU and Ark were not... Some seem to forget we were 5-18 the last two seasons and that we have a new HC, DC, OC, defensive scheme, and offensive scheme. Also, some forget how bad Texas or Colorado handed it to us, yet we still won the SunBelt and went bowling, not that I think we will do that this year... But DAMN, sometimes this board is such a beat-down!

Well, according to the dictionary, people don't actually "jump on the bandwagon" until it's apparent that someone is about to win (usually an election). So I suppose our "bandwagon" has to do with someone (Coach Dodge) that has a winning "attitude".

I've never been a bandwagon person (politically or otherwise). With the exception of the Helwig years (when the University almost totally lost me) I've always been on the North Texas wagon...regardless of what type it is. And as long as the current coach (or any coach for that matter) continues to believe in himself and this University (and more importantly the fans), then I'll continue to believe in him. B)

I hope the new fans stick with it. They HAVE TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE! I think this coming Saturday is really important. If we win Saturday we're 1-1 and in the mix for conference. Forgive me for getting ahead of myself but it could get interesting and we could look up in late Oct./Nov. and have meaningful games to play. That's all I'm hoping for THIS season. The thing I want to see is improvement from week to week. I think it's been hard to judge so far with our schedule. As far as this past Sat. we had a buzz saw waiting for us in Fayetteville. Not to mention the athletes they have, we went into a packed house of pissed off fans and pissed off players that were waiting for someone to come along to take it out on. Who better than a team that just doesn't have it figured out YET. But we will.

I have found myself telling people (about this season), "Well, two years from now, we'll look back on this season and marvel at how far we've come."

Go Mean Green!

In honor of this thread, I just wanted to take a minute and say that despite all the criticism on this forum, I am still 100% on board with Tamara Torru.

Carry on.

PlumMeanGreen - I really enjoy your posts and respect your long time loyalty. It is obvious you understand the game and bleed mean green! I'm relatively new to the board and did not attend UNT. I'm a Mean Green fan for three reasons; one I love college football and it's simply too far to go see my alma mater as much as I would like (although you would be correct to guess that is where my first loyalty resides), second, I'm a huge fan of TD's and would love to see him build a winning program (metroplex's team) in Denton, and finally, I have a son that attends UNT, so I quess you could say my family is somewhat affiliated (at leat that's where the money goes).

I truely believe in the slogan "you are either with us, or against us" and trying times like these are when everyone needs to stick together. I'm sure that's what the Mean Green team feels at this time and also what the majority who post on this site believe. I also believe that the fans will turn out at the next home game, that these coaches know how to win, and good times are coming. Yeah, the green kool aid is a little sour now, but oh how sweet it will soon be. Keep the faith! I know you will continue to set that example!

Anytime I get down about this season, I always think back to the 1989 Dallas Cowboys when newly hired head coach Jimmy Johnson lead the Dallas Cowboys to a 1-15 season. How many of us Cowboy fans were screaming for Tom Landry back?

Four years later Jimmy Johnson had a Super Bowl win. Not exactly the same scenario, but it shows what a great coach can do with a program that people believe in.

You have to believe.....

Hey, I'm still with Dodge and the Mean Green. I recall stating earlier on this site that what I expected in 2007 was an exciting team to watch (GOT IT!) and a team that plays to the last whistle (SEEMS I GOT THAT TOO!). So, for me...all is O.K. No, I do not like getting the "you know what" kicked out of us, and I did expect that we would play Ark., OU, etc. closer, but....I still got what I asked for this year, and I think we'll see that all year. Could the D play better...YEP! Do we need to "learn" a bit more about D1 and the "big boy football" played at D1? YEP! But, it's 4 games, folks...let me sat that again...it's 4 games!

"The times they are a changin'"...maybe slower than we want...but "you can't always get what you want...sometimes you might get what you need"!

We need Coach Dodge and his positive attitude, positive expectations and his exciting brand of football. Things will begin to look up us Coach Dodge gets his own recruiting classes around him and as his coaching staff gets a little "seasoning" at the D1 level. Keep the faith...I am...AND ENJOY SOME EXCITING FOOTBALL THIS YEAR while we wait a bit on the wins to catch up to the excitement.

GO MEAN GREEN...SUPPORT THE TEAM...FILL FOUTS FIELD....let's not let this start keep us from showing up for the games at Fouts...and the away games whenever possible. The fan of the MEAN GREEN NATION need to do their part also to help bring on the WINS...and that means filling the seats and donating to the program when/if you can! See you at Fouts!

I agree. I'm not supporting them because I think what they have done so far is acceptable, they don't even believe that! However, it is 4 games into a season from a team that only won 5 games the past two years. There is a reason for that and it can't be fixed with the waving of a magic wand! This is a team that needed 7 ot's to beat FIU last year. We were, and are at the bottom! It takes time to get the pieces in place and most importantly - to learn how to win! When you lose two 14 pt leads, that tells me you need to learn how to win. You can talk about it as a coach, but until the team goes out there and does it - it hasn't been done!

Let's give these guys some time to get it done. Like him or hate - I believe DD was 0-5 in his 4th year, before he started turning things around. It won't take TD near the same amount of time to get competitive by way of his recruiting efforts alone. Not to mention, they've shown some promise on offense and I believe the D will get fixed.

The aforementioned post, fellow alums & Mean Green fans was from a former Mean Green football player (and one very involved with our Lettermen's Association).

Yet what you are saying makes sense to me, GMoney.

We are all products of this microwave society that includes the need for instant success. Some coaches do well their 1'st year and then not so well their 2'nd year (and I defer to former Mean Green HFC Hayden Fry whose team won only "2" games his 2'nd year in Denton).

Some of our very best alums are doubtful right now, but hellsbells, we can't all be Tony Robbins or Norman Vincent Peale all at the same time! :rolleyes:

Seems we've all had our doubting moments with MG football the last 2 1/2 decades for many of us--but I think we have a keeper with TDodge and one who will make the proper personnel adjustment if and when he sees the need but...................FWIW..................he just needs more than 4 games into his tenurship as our new HFC to even think about making any semblance of changes.

I agree, GMoney, when you said "it won't take TD near the same amount of time (as it did DD) to get competitive by way of his recruiting efforts alone."

The glass is still half full.

GMG!

Anytime I get down about this season, I always think back to the 1989 Dallas Cowboys when newly hired head coach Jimmy Johnson lead the Dallas Cowboys to a 1-15 season. How many of us Cowboy fans were screaming for Tom Landry back?

Four years later Jimmy Johnson had a Super Bowl win. Not exactly the same scenario, but it shows what a great coach can do with a program that people believe in.

You have to believe.....

People love to throw this JJ argument on here. I loved the Jimmy era Cowboys, but lets not forget these facts:

1. Jimmy worked during a time where Free Agency did not exist.

2. Jerry's open wallet policy meant more in the era of NO SALARY CAP.

3. What did the Jimster ever accomplish in Miami that Shula could not before Don was forced out of Miami?

4. Herschal Walker is Jimmy's best friend to this day. :D

You should still believe! Hell, it's four games! "Believe in the Green!" GRAND days are ahead! From Adversity comes Champions!

If you want to jump off the bandwagon...it is your choice! There will be plenty more to jump aboard when the ship gets turned around...

...and yes you will be welcome to come back again!

See ya in La-La!

ParksAndRecRick