The Real Reason We Are Getting Drilled

the real grad88

It has become apparent to me that while we have an awesome head coach, we simply do not have the hosses up front to make anything happen on offense or defense. Let's face it, schemes mean nothing without the beef in the middle to make it happen. You just can't coach size/speed and power on the line, you have got to recruit it. We are like men against boys when we play teams like Ark and OU. If we don't get some real studs on the defensive line, I fear we are never going to win, I don't care if we do get 600 yards of offense. My question is: Do those kind of D-Lineman want to play for UNT and Dodge? He is known as an offensive players dream, but what about defense? Will they come? I certainly hope so, because this ship ain't gonna leave the dock without it. Dodge, get us some beef!

Hey, I noticed one guy in the game chat tonight seemed to be making fun of my town (which is evident from my screen name, I guess). One reason I came up with that name was to call attention to the kind of hard hitting Offensive Linemen AND defensive players we have in the Euless Trinity program. Call me old fashioned, but it's a thing of beauty to watch the local kids moving the line of scrimmage towards the opposing secondary.

It has become apparent to me that while we have an awesome head coach, we simply do not have the hosses up front to make anything happen on offense or defense. Let's face it, schemes mean nothing without the beef in the middle to make it happen. You just can't coach size/speed and power on the line, you have got to recruit it. We are like men against boys when we play teams like Ark and OU. If we don't get some real studs on the defensive line, I fear we are never going to win, I don't care if we do get 600 yards of offense. My question is: Do those kind of D-Lineman want to play for UNT and Dodge? He is known as an offensive players dream, but what about defense? Will they come? I certainly hope so, because this ship ain't gonna leave the dock without it. Dodge, get us some beef!

I noticed we looked undersized compared to these teams we've played, even FAU. I also noticed watching USF and Colorado on TV how much speed their defenses have, very athletic and very fast guys moving to the ball on D; we need more size and speed.

Edited by NT80

I noticed we looked undersized compared to these teams we've played, even FAU. I also noticed watching USF and Colorado on TV how much speed their defenses have, very athletic and very fast guys moving to the ball on D; we need more size and speed.

I think you are on to something. We just need bigger, stronger, and faster athletes. We need to let Todge and his staff aware of this immediately! Damn that Dickey, he was recruiting those smallish slow guys. :lol:

Edited by GreenFlag

I think you are on to something. We just need bigger, stronger, and faster athletes. We need to let Todge and his staff aware of this immediately! Damn that Dickey, he was recruiting those smallish slow guys. :lol:

...and a RB that can run a sub 4.4 40, can throw a 350 lb linemen off the line, can catch out of the backfield, get us 250 yards running per game

...a 6-2 or above QB with the same sub 4.4 40 speed that can throw 500 + yards a game, get 200 + yards running, can run OVER defensive linemen

...placekicker that will never miss from anything under 75 yards away

...and, yes, those OL and DL linemen that are 6-5 or more, 325 or more, and can run a 4.4 or better

Really, I do not see why it is so difficult! Why can our coaching staff not realize the talent we need here!?? Hopefully they read this post and come to their senses...hopefully we have now given them some sage advice on how and who to recruit. :rolleyes:

Or maybe we should recruit from Odessa Permian, after what they did to Trinity...

Ouch.... totally uncool. True, but still uncool! B)

Or maybe we should recruit from Odessa Permian, after what they did to Trinity...

Smitty, based on the results of that game, and the way Permian has played so far, we SHOULD recruit from Permian. However, most of us Eulessers (or whatever we're called) would agree with coach Lineweaver that Permian is good, but Trinity played badly that night. I DO think that, whatever the results of this season (and Trinity's prospects are looking better recently), that Trinity has consistently had strong offensive line play. I don't think they should just be judged entirely on the Permian game, where a Trinity quarterback, starting his 2nd game, as I recall, turned the ball over 5 times. I also think those turnovers make it hard to judge the Trinity defense, as they were defending a short field all night. Living in this area, I don't really know enough about Permian's players, other than hearing their quarterback, Taylor Byrd, being highly praised. I'm not sure we're looking for more QB's at this point. I think many of us will see more detailed media coverage of other Permian players by the end of the season. If we see players in the positions we need, we certainly should make an effort to recruit them. In my opinion, we need better offensive linemen, and a variety of defensive players. Trinity, in my opinion, would be a good place to look for such players. Another question is how much relationships between coaches and programs matter in recruiting. From what I've read about the signing of Micah Mosley, it mattered there. I've read about negative feelings Dodge has had about Permian, but don't know if that's just intenseness of a rivalry, or something that would present difficulties recruiting from there. I know there are personal and professional relationships between Dodge, the Carroll coaching staff, and coach Lineweaver at Trinity. Sorry to go on this long, but feel the shellacking Permian gave Trinity this year was just one game-although I hope they have a rematch in the playoffs.

Smitty, based on the results of that game, and the way Permian has played so far, we SHOULD recruit from Permian. However, most of us Eulessers (or whatever we're called) would agree with coach Lineweaver that Permian is good, but Trinity played badly that night. I DO think that, whatever the results of this season (and Trinity's prospects are looking better recently), that Trinity has consistently had strong offensive line play. I don't think they should just be judged entirely on the Permian game, where a Trinity quarterback, starting his 2nd game, as I recall, turned the ball over 5 times. I also think those turnovers make it hard to judge the Trinity defense, as they were defending a short field all night. Living in this area, I don't really know enough about Permian's players, other than hearing their quarterback, Taylor Byrd, being highly praised. I'm not sure we're looking for more QB's at this point. I think many of us will see more detailed media coverage of other Permian players by the end of the season. If we see players in the positions we need, we certainly should make an effort to recruit them. In my opinion, we need better offensive linemen, and a variety of defensive players. Trinity, in my opinion, would be a good place to look for such players. Another question is how much relationships between coaches and programs matter in recruiting. From what I've read about the signing of Micah Mosley, it mattered there. I've read about negative feelings Dodge has had about Permian, but don't know if that's just intenseness of a rivalry, or something that would present difficulties recruiting from there. I know there are personal and professional relationships between Dodge, the Carroll coaching staff, and coach Lineweaver at Trinity. Sorry to go on this long, but feel the shellacking Permian gave Trinity this year was just one game-although I hope they have a rematch in the playoffs.

Well, that was easy.

I'm sure Coach Dodge is well aware of Trinity, and Permian, and Plano, and every other school in Texas. I'm sure he's recruiting them all. And I'm sure he's not putting too much emphasis on any one performance. What a concept.

From The Magnificent Seven, as Chris and the villagers are recruiting men to fight Calvera:

Sotero: "There's one - look at the scars on his face!"

Hilario: "The man for us is the one who GAVE him that face."

Chris: "Hey. You learn fast."

We need more guys out of the south Dallas schools: DeSoto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill, & Carter!

I had the misfortune of having to sit through the Carter/Mesquite game last week. They paid me, but they damn sure didn't pay me enough. Sub-Dickeyball. 44-7, I believe, and I believe that the 7 for Carter came in the last 4 minutes. Handoff, handoff, handoff. And not much on defense.

If we want anyone from Carter... They sure didn't make me notice them in that game.

Back to the post subject. I was at the game and totally agree. UNT simply was "out-athleted". Size, speed and skill at every position were in Arkansas favor. Losing to them is nothing to be ashamed of, but rebuilding starts with discipline and then add athletes. One thing all should be proud of, the team is not lying down. The effort was evident throughout the game!

Go Mean Green!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Sure, we could use some bigger and better linemen. Couldn't most everybody? but, I think that the offensive line has done pretty well.

Santiago has been much better than expected; pancaking a number of the opponents. Drake ha only made one bad snap in spite of never having played in a no-huddle spread before. Bailey has also been a whole lot better than I thought. He has kept his man out. Menard is still learning and seems to be improving on the penalties and has been pretty effective as a tackle. If Alexander or Peachey had been able to go then I believe that you'd see a pretty decent line although there is little depth.

Most of the problem with sacks, quarterbacks getting flushed from the pocket, etc. have been from blitzing linebackers and that is the job of the running back. The other problems stem from the quarterback holding on too long...usually because the primary receiver is covered and it's taking a while to find the open man. No line can keep all of the defenders out for an appreciable amount of time.

Drake and Santiago are 300 pounders and Menard and Peachey probably could be, since both stand 6'5". If size were the major factor, we'd already have Banks starting, and would've tried to keep Foster and Eidd.

Speaking of Eidd, that was one of your Euless Trinity offensive linemen. He was honorable mention all-state who walked on here and, I thought, should've made the two-deep. He was our best scholar, leading the football in grade point average. He had great size and seemingly adequate speed. I don't know why he didn't make it.

Most of the stellar Trinity linemen have been Tongans. For whatever reason, very few have stayed in Texas for college football. They seem to migrate west, with Brigham Young getting most of them. I can understand why we didn't get any due to our recruiters, but why not TCU? Or Texas? Or Texas A&M?

I will agree with you that they are some of the biggest, most powerful, offensive linemen of any high school program in the nation.

Edited by GrayEagleOne