Is This Our Worst Team Ever?

class84

I'm going to step in and say that the worst UNT team I ever saw was the 1991 squad. It was my second year at UNT. Nevada hammered us 72-0. We scored 137 points all season and gave up well over 300. We had three wins, one versus Divsion II Abilene Christian. Our other two wins were by a combined 9 points - Stephen F. Austin, 18-14 and Nicholls State 24-19.

Those were bad, very bad days indeed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to step in and say that the worst UNT team I ever saw was the 1991 squad. It was my second year at UNT. Nevada hammered us 72-0. We scored 137 points all season and gave up well over 300. We had three wins, one versus Divsion II Abilene Christian. Our other two wins were by a combined 9 points - Stephen F. Austin, 18-14 and Nicholls State 24-19.

Was that the same season in which during a home game against(I think?) ULM where at one point late in the game we forgot the down and threw the ball away on 4th down, thinking it was 3rd? Then we ended up getting a field goal at the end to go up by 1 or 2 with seconds to play, only to turn around and pooch kick the kickoff giving ULM half the field to work in two quick passes and hit the winning field goal as time expired?

Ah, the great Dennis Parker.

Rick

Was that the same season in which during a home game against(I think?) ULM where at one point late in the game we forgot the down and threw the ball away on 4th down, thinking it was 3rd? Then we ended up getting a field goal at the end to go up by 1 or 2 with seconds to play, only to turn around and pooch kick the kickoff giving ULM half the field to work in two quick passes and hit the winning field goal as time expired?

Ah, the great Dennis Parker.

Rick

:ph34r:

No doubt that '91 team was bad, but unfortunately we have already given up 220 of those 300 points and we are only one third through the season. If we can hold our remainng opponents to an average of 22 points per game, we can avoid giving up 400 this year. Not looking too likely at this point. :(

No doubt that '91 team was bad, but unfortunately we have already given up 220 of those 300 points and we are only one third through the season. If we can hold our remainng opponents to an average of 22 points per game, we can avoid giving up 400 this year. Not looking too likely at this point. :(

If the question of the thread is “Is this the worst TEAM ever?” then, the 91 team probably has this one beat. This team might give up more points, but is a track to score far, far more points.

One memory of that team - if my small brain can remember that far back. North Texas Division I-AA back then, and I seem to remember that the week after the 72-0 shellacking we played Southwest Missouri State, which was ranked in the top 20 in I-AA. It looked like it was going to be another beating, but North Texas managed a tie. I think North Texas blocked a field goal at the end to preserve the tie.

If the question of the thread is "Is this the worst TEAM ever?" then, the 91 team probably has this one beat. This team might give up more points, but is a track to score far, far more points.

Sure hope you're right and I'm expecting the same, but the '91 team scored 47 pts. after 4 games, while the '07 team has scored 68 pts. after 4 games. The '91 team played Oklahoma, ACC (win), Nevada, and Southwest Missouri (tie). Not quite as tough as our schedule thus far, but 3 of those 4 teams were pretty good. I agree with the creator of this thread that it's not even worth arguing about at this point. I guess we'll be able to answer this question better in a month or so.

No, this is by no means our worst team ever. It may be our greenest both in coaches and in players, but by no means the worst. There were some pretty bad teams between 80-00 and the '05 and '06 teams were no jewels. How quickly everyone is forgetting how well the team played against SMU and how much better the D looked against an FAU team that put 40+ on Minnesota. Had it not been for a few last minute mistakes by Meager in both of those games we could easily be 2-2 and this thread would have never come up. Damn me for thinking our fairweather fans would shut up for at least a season once Dickey was gone and let Dodge come in clean house and build a winning football program. Do you think Blakely built Troys program in 1 offseason? and look at Schnelly it took him 4 years to get FAU to a respectable D1A status. Have some fricken faith in Todge and let the man do his job. This class of recruits looks to be our best since returning to D1A football and we have a lot of very talented freshman waiting in the wings for their chance to make an impact. Yeah the team is going through some growing pains but come on if you can't see the bright future that is ahead of NT Football you need to have your eyes checked. Now please shut the hell up for the rest of the season and give the man a chance to work and grow and teach before you condemn this team as the "worst NT football team ever" because its not by a long shot.

No, this is by no means our worst team ever. It may be our greenest both in coaches and in players, but by no means the worst. There were some pretty bad teams between 80-00 and the '05 and '06 teams were no jewels. How quickly everyone is forgetting how well the team played against SMU and how much better the D looked against an FAU team that put 40+ on Minnesota. Had it not been for a few last minute mistakes by Meager in both of those games we could easily be 2-2 and this thread would have never come up. Damn me for thinking our fairweather fans would shut up for at least a season once Dickey was gone and let Dodge come in clean house and build a winning football program. Do you think Blakely built Troys program in 1 offseason? and look at Schnelly it took him 4 years to get FAU to a respectable D1A status. Have some fricken faith in Todge and let the man do his job. This class of recruits looks to be our best since returning to D1A football and we have a lot of very talented freshman waiting in the wings for their chance to make an impact. Yeah the team is going through some growing pains but come on if you can't see the bright future that is ahead of NT Football you need to have your eyes checked. Now please shut the hell up for the rest of the season and give the man a chance to work and grow and teach before you condemn this team as the "worst NT football team ever" because its not by a long shot.

and here is more of the UNT mob mentality of do not question anything that Dodge does because he is "GOD". Give a fricking break he is a football coach who was amazing the last 5 years at the HS level, but what has he done at the College Level?? Also just because we question why our defense is giving up 55+ pts a game does not make us less of a fan, it makes us wonder what the hell happened to a defense with 9 returning starters. Some of you need to get off your soap box, because the coaching staff is getting off easy compared to other coaches at other schools. Once again though here we are showing our whoaa is me poor little UNT Bulls**t that continues to keep us down. Keep it up though I guess burying our heads in the sand is better than acknowledging that we have serious defensive issues.

Other than Meager's interceptions as you say, I don't think that anyone is really complaining too much about our offense. It's primarily the extremely leaky defense that is causing all of the venting. The offense definitely piled up some yardage against smu, but I wouldn't say that we played particularly well OVERALL in that game. As far as the title of the thread is concerned, WE STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF TEAM WE HAVE HERE! We're still a work and progress, and I think we'll start to get it together here over the next couple of weeks. I think we're just in a situation of "no pain no gain" here, and I'm hopeful that the pain will soon go away.

and here is more of the UNT mob mentality of do not question anything that Dodge does because he is "GOD". Give a fricking break he is a football coach who was amazing the last 5 years at the HS level, but what has he done at the College Level?? Also just because we question why our defense is giving up 55+ pts a game does not make us less of a fan, it makes us wonder what the hell happened to a defense with 9 returning starters. Some of you need to get off your soap box, because the coaching staff is getting off easy compared to other coaches at other schools. Once again though here we are showing our whoaa is me poor little UNT Bulls**t that continues to keep us down. Keep it up though I guess burying our heads in the sand is better than acknowledging that we have serious defensive issues.

The question is easy to answer. He groomed what is probably the finest QB to ever don a MEAN GREEN uniform, Mitch Maher. He helped Mitch become, not only a successful QB that led his team to the playoffs. He helped turn him into a fabulous young man and a role model for many young people. Do I want the football program to be successful? Yes. Would I take the success with a bunch of hoodlums representing MY UNIVERSITY. HELL NO. If I wanted that I would cheer for Texas, Oklahoma, A&M or a handful of other programs that do not care about morals and ethics. Do I want to go to New Orleans to follow the SunBelt champion North Texas MEAN GREEN? Hell YES. Am I willing to wait for success as long as the football team turns out quality individuals who play their A$$e$ off and don't point fingers at someone else? YES. Will I be happy with two or three victories this season? NO. Will I be able to accept it? YES, because Todd Dodge will not be satisfied until he has turned the University of North Texas into the best team possible.

I am not willing to accept the "whoaa is me poor little UNT Bulls**t that continues to keep us down.." Most of that comes from unrealistic expectations from fans. Todd Dodge is not "GOD." And that word is used to describe him too often, and I'm sure he would agree with that. WE ARE FANS, our job is to support the team and the coaching staff to the best of our abilities. If you don't want to support them, don't downgrade them. I have opinions on the play of individuals that are just as animated as yours and most on this board. I choose to temper my words with the wisdom of keeping my mouth shut.