Is This Our Worst Team Ever?

class84

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get all the drama like we are a bunch of junior high girls and the world is coming to an end. Posts with such absolutes and negativity. Like most of us are not able to understand that this is just part of a rebuilding process that in the big picture this will take us to better places.

Jimmy Johnson first year with the Cowboys was a whopping 1 & 15, with three shutouts. (Just a dang college coach) That got better, much better if I remember correctly.

...I don't think anyone REALLY expected us to win... ...but to have another blowout like this, and have virtually zero defense wasn't what anyone had in mind either.

...it isn't the losing to OU and Ark that bothers so many, it is HOW we lost that is the problem.

I think most are willing to give everyone time to adjust, but how many losses created by this terrible defensive scheme do we suffer before we start to adjust?

Now, see, I take the opposite viewpoint. It is HOW we lost that gives me hope. The OU game could have been dickeyballed into maybe a 50 point loss, and Arkansas perhaps a 35 point loss. We could have just rolled over, conceded the game, and then tried to make final margin as nice as it could be.

What's interesting to me is how many folks from the big schools realize that's what's happening. That "never say die" attitude is what has really been missing from the program, and it has been noticed. I heard some OU fans on the way back to the NT Exes bus shake their heads in amazement and say "you guys just don't know when to give up, do you?" My boss told me the other day that the way we fought overshadowed the way we lost.

I am always bummed that we lose. I always hate getting shellacked by a bigger, stronger, and faster team. But I'm proud of the team for not calling it a day until the final whistle. It is easy to talk about these things when you're winning. When you are getting your ass kicked, it tends to be a little harder. But they've done it. And that what makes me proud of the team.

Now, see, I take the opposite viewpoint. It is HOW we lost that gives me hope. The OU game could have been dickeyballed into maybe a 50 point loss, and Arkansas perhaps a 35 point loss. We could have just rolled over, conceded the game, and then tried to make final margin as nice as it could be.

What's interesting to me is how many folks from the big schools realize that's what's happening. That "never say die" attitude is what has really been missing from the program, and it has been noticed. I heard some OU fans on the way back to the NT Exes bus shake their heads in amazement and say "you guys just don't know when to give up, do you?" My boss told me the other day that the way we fought overshadowed the way we lost.

I am always bummed that we lose. I always hate getting shellacked by a bigger, stronger, and faster team. But I'm proud of the team for not calling it a day until the final whistle. It is easy to talk about these things when you're winning. When you are getting your ass kicked, it tends to be a little harder. But they've done it. And that what makes me proud of the team.

You know, I hear you Illuvius. It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Euless Trinity FB program, and was glad to see them handle the 2nd ranked 4A team, the Waco Lions, handily 2 weeks ago. However, I really loved seeing that Waco team keep fighting and finaly getting on the scoreboard with a few minutes left in the game; that almost made me wish their star RB wasn't out from injury. There's something about that never say die attitude! Another North Texas like thing-they had a great band!

This is ridiculous. People said they wouldn't care if TD lost every game this season, and now look at us.

This is the same as Dickey in 05'. People said that all he had to do was beat SMU, yet, after MT, everyone wanted him gone. It's clear that was the right choice, but, for the love of god, give TD some time. This is Dickey's talent in Dodge's scheme, wait two more seasons, and if the results are the same, then say this crap.

This is ridiculous. People said they wouldn't care if TD lost every game this season, and now look at us.

This is the same as Dickey in 05'. People said that all he had to do was beat SMU, yet, after MT, everyone wanted him gone. It's clear that was the right choice, but, for the love of god, give TD some time. This is Dickey's talent in Dodge's scheme, wait two more seasons, and if the results are the same, then say this crap.

I don't recall anyone saying this And if someone did... that certainly wasn't even close to resembling the voice of the mean green nation.

I've read it in other topics, people just need to chill out and let Todge put his players in his system.

People were laughed at for saying that last year. And this summer, and again in my head right now.

I was talking with someone regarding this the other day. Does anyone know how many of Dodges recruits are playing right now?

Because by my assessment this means that we are still playing with a Dickey team only with a different coach. They are used to the run offense and trying to adjust to this new spread. MORE importantly though they are used to going to these big 'Money' games and taking a whipping without putting up much of a fight and just trying to get out of their alive. This is why I like Vizza, because he goes out there with heart and sparks the offense. Every scoring drive we have had in these big games have been by Vizza, whether or not they had their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or handicapped string in. This says something.

We need to get the Dickey players and their attitude out and get some heart on the team. Until that happens we will NEVER win any of these games and will struggle against an improving SB conference.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Is the thread talking about two different things? I don't think that this is our worst team ever but the results on DEFENSE may very well make us the worst.

We all knew that the drastic change in offensive schemes wouldn't be an easy transition and I think that we can all live with that. The offense hasn't been the major part of the problem as it should have been. The offense has put up some decent numbers (although not many points) considering the opposition. I'd be surprised if all of the offense has even been installed and we've shown flashes of brilliance. I can live with building an offense if this is as bad as it gets.

It's the defense that's getting us killed on the scoreboard. Granted, we may not have the talent level of Oklahoma or Arkansas but it should be at a high enough level to keep from giving up 79 and 66 points.

We took essentially the same personnel that ranked 64th in Total Defense and 79th in Scoring Defense last year and have 55 and 40 teams improve on us so that we are DEAD LAST in both categories this year.

Some of our tackling leaders from last year are seldom heard from this year. Players like Chapman, Mahan and Dawson come to mind.

Maybe, as Rick said, we should've kept the 3-4 since we seemed to do better with that scheme. Eddrick Gilmore is another that the 3-4 seems to fit. Then again, maybe it was just Bleil that made it effective. Whatever it was, something needs to change because what we have isn't working.

I still understand the growing pains necessary for our offense to be comfortable with their play and I think that most of our fans realize just how broken our offense was. But, I never in my worst nightmare envisioned that our defense would be dead last in virtually every category.

Please Todd, let Coach Ford continue on with your offensive plans and devote some time to correcting our defensive ills.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I was basing my observations on the fact that we have been getting completions, yardage and first downs. We just javen't come away with very many points. We've had five TDs in four games while averaging 330 passing yards per game. Our opponents have scored 9 touchdowns passing on similar yardage. We've given up 17 rushing TDs to our 3 made.

We've completed just 18 passes less than we completed all of last year. Our total offense per game is almost double that of last year and we haven't played an opponent where we ran up the statistics. We had 153 first downs all of last year and we already have 91 in the first four games, two of which we were blown out.

So far, our offensive problems have been interceptions, an inability to score, and little usage of a running attack. In spite of the anemic rushing, we're only averaging 34 yards less than we did last year when we were considered a rushing team.

I think that we'll see improvement in those three weaknesses as we get better and the schedule gets a little easier. So yeah, even though statistically (and realisticly) we are doing poorly in scoring and turnovers, it's still far ahead of a defense that has given up more than 600 yards per game; about twice as much as last year's defense did.

'

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Illuvious stated it earlier. One reason for such lopsided scores is the way our offense works. Under DD run run run, and the clock just kept on moving. A 3 and out under DD would take in upwards of at least 2 minutes off the clock. Under TD we can have a 3 and out that only last 30 seconds. Huge differnce.

Illuvious stated it earlier. One reason for such lopsided scores is the way our offense works. Under DD run run run, and the clock just kept on moving. A 3 and out under DD would take in upwards of at least 2 minutes off the clock. Under TD we can have a 3 and out that only last 30 seconds. Huge differnce.

How easily someone scores concerns me MUCH more than how many times they score.

Rick

I will agree with Rick on this one. I posted last night that I expect NT to lose big in these games, but it bothers me when we provide next to no resistance while doing so.

You have to admit it is a little rediculous when one can't gain 500+ yds on a XBOX in one half... And lord knows i've tried. We are giving real life teams unreal numbers.

You have to admit it is a little rediculous when one can't gain 500+ yds on a XBOX in one half... And lord knows i've tried. We are giving real life teams unreal numbers.

Have you tired playing on cupcake level? :lol:

You won't sniff that on Heisman unless you're crazy enough to play 15 minute qtrs!! :D

Edited by Got5onIt

How easily someone scores concerns me MUCH more than how many times they score.

Rick

This is also my major concern. Our defensive players don't seem to be/get in position to make plays often, and when they do, we are not making sure tackles. There has been almost no resitance defensively so far this year. If teams were still scoring quite a few points, but we were making them "earn it", I would feel more comfortable.

Like Tasty has pointed out. Under Bliel, we were just a mediocre (bend but don't break) D-1 defense. However, if teams were just moving the ball between the 20's and we were causing teams to kick more field goals, as opposed to cutting through the defense on 2-5 plays (almost every possession) on their way to a touchdown, the FAU and SMU games would have probably been very different games. The Arkansas and OU outcomes would have still been bad, but maybe not to the point that the scores are so shcoking.

Let's hold off judgement for another week. Nobody really expected to win this game, did they?

No one expected to win the OU or UA games. But we did not expect to be blown out either. Our defense is embarassing and whoever is responsible for the atrocious play by the D, so far, should have realized they are in waaaay over their heads and turned in their resignations already. North Texas should not be a "day care center" for high school coaches aspiring to move up to D1a football.

Old Timer & PMG excellent points.

The last thing we need from anyone is the knee jerk reaction.

Everyone should stand behind TD and his winning ways.

I think all of the 5,000 posts related to the season so far have to do with our defense not performing and the defensive coaches responsible. Coach Mendoza, can you hear me?

No one expected to win the OU or UA games. But we did not expect to be blown out either. Our defense is embarassing and whoever is responsible for the atrocious play by the D, so far, should have realized they are in waaaay over their heads and turned in their resignations already. North Texas should not be a "day care center" for high school coaches aspiring to move up to D1a football.

They seem to be pretty content though in running the same defense they know. Bunker down, it is going to be a long season. 500 yards in 2 quarters.....(have to keep reminding myself because it is so shocking).