Osu Coach Rips Sportswriter For Ripping Quarterback

rcade

We talk a lot here about what level of criticism is fair to amateur athletes playing college football. After a sports columnist for the Daily Oklahoman called benched quarterback Bobby Reid a momma's boy who plays scared, Coach Mike Gundy in his postgame press conference launched a three-minute tirade.

YouTube video:

Original column: http://newsok.com/article/3131543/1190442218

News story: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=276227

Be careful posting this here.... The Police are on patrol....

ON topic....

I applaud the Coach standing up for his player. Lot of team preach family but don't act on it when it matters... this coach displayed it 100%

I agree completely. We sometimes forget about how these guys are only 18-23 years old. They will make physical mistakes. It happens, even to professionals making millions.

I think it's great to see a coach stick up for this players like that. Who wouldn't want to go play for him?

Edited by BonfireBrian

Guest JohnDenver

I agree completely. We sometimes forget about how these guys are only 18-23 years old. They will make physical mistakes. It happens, even to professionals making millions.

I think it's great to see a coach stick up for this players like that. Who wouldn't want to go play for him?

Where he lost it is his perspective on "what is wrong with society today?!!"

This has always been going on. Nothing new.

I commend him sticking up for his player.

I applaud the coach for sticking up for his player, but I think he went a little far with the tirade. I see his point in that it might be a bit unfair to print this sort of editorial on an amateur athelete, but just remember that we have a little thing in this country called the 1st amendment that protects our freedom of speech and opinion.

Also, I seem to remember my parents giving me one piece of advice that might be relevant here. They said "Son, sometimes people are going to talk bad about you. Let it go. Don't let it bother you. If it still bothers you that much, prove 'em wrong."

I like that you protect your players coach, but maybe everybody needs just a little bit thicker skin.

GMG!

Sure, the reporter has a right to publish her editorial no matter how shoddy or amateur. Just like Gundy had a right to express his opinion. I agree that he was a little over the top with it. I went and read her blog and some of her past articles. It's like she's trying to be a Jennifer Floyd Engel but she doesn't have anything interesting to say about football so she tries to create some soap opera controversy BS.

I applaud the coach for sticking up for his player, but I think he went a little far with the tirade. I see his point in that it might be a bit unfair to print this sort of editorial on an amateur athelete, but just remember that we have a little thing in this country called the 1st amendment that protects our freedom of speech and opinion.

The coach was expressing his freedom of speech, and the writer of that article discovered the consequences of expressing his first-amendment rights. So, clearly, we do have freedom of speech.

But what we are lacking is civil behavior.

Criticizing performance is one thing, but the vicious personal nature of attacks on collegiate athletes for their on-field performance - just for playing a game - is completely inappropriate. Most of us have been guilty of saying things on this board that we should regret. The anonymity of the internet is a powerful force, and it emboldens us to say things we would never think of speaking in public. But everyone would do well to remember that this forum is very, very public. You are publishing here as surely as if in a newspaper. Please take that into consideration, show a little patience, and remember that these athletes are kids.

Yes, we have freedom of speech. But, sadly, we are losing common courtesy.

The coach was expressing his freedom of speech, and the writer of that article discovered the consequences of expressing his first-amendment rights. So, clearly, we do have freedom of speech.

But what we are lacking is civil behavior.

Criticizing performance is one thing, but the vicious personal nature of attacks on collegiate athletes for their on-field performance - just for playing a game - is completely inappropriate. Most of us have been guilty of saying things on this board that we should regret. The anonymity of the internet is a powerful force, and it emboldens us to say things we would never think of speaking in public. But everyone would do well to remember that this forum is very, very public. You are publishing here as surely as if in a newspaper. Please take that into consideration, show a little patience, and remember that these athletes are kids.

Yes, we have freedom of speech. But, sadly, we are losing common courtesy.

Well said.

---The OSU coach had a valid point but he absolutely went way too far and became almost irrational.. ala. Mora (Playoffs, PLAYOFFS!) and Herm Edwards in NY. Some of these media types don't have a clue anyway, a ESPN guy yesterday referred to Troy as a I-AA team and some claim to be experts on sports they never played or even really understand all that well... Some of these people just badger athletes and coaches just to sell papers or improve ratings.. They ain't the most brilliant minds of the world.

---I do have a problem with trashing (and insulting) high school and most college athletes for their performance ... but not if if they are involved in something illegal or something of questionable character.... .. They are not paid (other than tuition) and are usually trying to succeed even though they sometimes can look pretty bad. Pro athletes (or coaches) are a totally different matter... trash them all you want... they are making big bucks, maybe ten or more times what the average person makes and are mature people and may absolutely deserve it. Besides all other professions receive criticism when they do poorly as well... why not pro-athletes. I guess McNabb thinks he should be exempt... it was all about performance not another issue. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Hey Everybody

I agree with Green to the Bone's statement—"The anonymity of the internet is a powerful force, and it emboldens us to say things we would never think of speaking in public. But everyone would do well to remember that this forum is very, very public. You are publishing here as surely as if in a newspaper. Please take that into consideration, show a little patience, and remember that these athletes are kids."

Signing your full name at the bottom of every post makes you think at least twice about anything you say on a forum like this—whether it's about a kid or a coach.

Take care, and maybe I'll see some of you in Fayetteville.

Mitch Maher

Be careful posting this here.... The Police are on patrol....

ON topic....

I applaud the Coach standing up for his player. Lot of team preach family but don't act on it when it matters... this coach displayed it 100%

I guess I always have to be contrary. I think this tirade was childish.

The coach is making millions off this 'amature sport'.

The school is making millions off this 'amature sport'

There are a bajillion coporate logos all over the stadium.

There are 50k people in the stands and tv cameras rolling.

If you are going to put the teams and the players in the public eye in order to make money, you can't then go back and whine that not all the publicity is positive. It's a 2-way street.

This isn't critism of some volleyball player. It was critisim of someone who the coach and the school put in the public eye to make their money.

Guest JohnDenver

I am always torn on this topic.

There are many ways to view this crazy thing called the internetz.super.highways.net.org

1) It makes everyone a reporter (blogger) and with it comes the responsibility to be professional.

2) It makes everyday a beer in hand casual conversation with other sports fans.

So given that, I side on the #2 (yuk disgusting).

If you ask me, would I say that Meager makes bad decisions and holds onto the ball too long to a fellow sports fan while drinking a beer at Coolbeans? Yes. Would I pull out some half correct stats to show my bias and try to convince my fellow sports fan? Yes. Would I sometimes yell? Smile? Then knudge him on the shoulder with a sarcastic jab? Yes, yes and yes.

Now... would I do this at my daily job? Of course not. I can't be so casual or half-assed at my work. I can't throw stats out and use them to try to validate my point...

It is a moot point to say "Would you say that to their face?!" Well, if I knew them and could have a conversation with them about performance, then yes. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't. It is rude for a stranger to come up to another stranger and start asking them touchy questions. None of these posts are meant for the players. If the players want to make their presence known (I know some are registered), then I am sure (just from human nature) that the belligerent posts would be minimal (not entirely gone). I don't encourage players reading the board though.. just like I don't encourage myself to read fan reports of my products (at work) either ;) To back up my claim, there are more than a couple people on this board I would like to rip apart for being annoying and crazy sometimes, yet I know them at the games and that gets enough respect to NOT do that.

Football boards are effectively sports bars without the beer. Although, reading some of the posts on Saturday night, some of you were posting with the beer.

...and no, it doesn't require us to be parents to have an opinion.

...and no, we didn't have to play football to be knowledgeable.

...and no, we don't have to be 30+ year season ticket holders to have a voice.

That is the beauty of fandom.

I love the fact that Gundy stood up for his player. And I applaud him for his going after the reporter. Not one thing in that article mentioned his on the field performence.

The article mentioned his mom feeding him, ok so what, some may view it as a little weird, but has no impact at all on his football.

RUMORS of his transferring, still nothing to do with his play on the field. The reporter even put in the article that they were rumors. Hate to tell her this but rumors aren't always true. And therefore should not be thrown out into public only to be spread further.

Reid admitted that he gets nervous. Are you kidding me!?! Go and ask out team how many of them get nervous before a game. I'll sure as hell bet ya its more than a handfull.

I guess I always have to be contrary. I think this tirade was childish.

The coach is making millions off this 'amature sport'.

The school is making millions off this 'amature sport'

There are a bajillion coporate logos all over the stadium.

There are 50k people in the stands and tv cameras rolling.

If you are going to put the teams and the players in the public eye in order to make money, you can't then go back and whine that not all the publicity is positive. It's a 2-way street.

This isn't critism of some volleyball player. It was critisim of someone who the coach and the school put in the public eye to make their money.

Yes there is tons of money going around, but Reid is not involved in that. And this is a PROFESSIONAL writer going after an AMATURE athlete for nothing he has done on the field.

I don't blame Gundy for ripping this chick, after hearing the whole story from a sports radio station in Tulsa, I am totally for his ripping of the writer. The worst thing about this is that his team had just won a big game and this is what everybody is talking about. According to the guys out of Tulsa this isn't the first Jenny Carlson has done this type of article. Even though Bobby Reid has not lived up to the hype of the great player he was supposed to be, no college football player needs to be ripped like he was in this article. I know we rip Meager all the time on this board, but it is different than a big front page article in the sports section of a widely distributed publication in the state of Oklahoma.

Way to go Mike Gundy for standing for your team and your players...

Guest JohnDenver

I read the article (glancingly admitted) -- where is the terrible ripping of the player? Is it inferred? Or blatant?

Will someone cut and paste for me (since the link is bad above)?

It is a shame that the coach's rant has completely taken away from the attention that should have been on the team after opening the Big 12 with a win.

I am always torn on this topic.

There are many ways to view this crazy thing called the internetz.super.highways.net.org

1) It makes everyone a reporter (blogger) and with it comes the responsibility to be professional.

2) It makes everyday a beer in hand casual conversation with other sports fans.

So given that, I side on the #2 (yuk disgusting).

If you ask me, would I say that Meager makes bad decisions and holds onto the ball too long to a fellow sports fan while drinking a beer at Coolbeans? Yes. Would I pull out some half correct stats to show my bias and try to convince my fellow sports fan? Yes. Would I sometimes yell? Smile? Then knudge him on the shoulder with a sarcastic jab? Yes, yes and yes.

Now... would I do this at my daily job? Of course not. I can't be so casual or half-assed at my work. I can't throw stats out and use them to try to validate my point...

It is a moot point to say "Would you say that to their face?!" Well, if I knew them and could have a conversation with them about performance, then yes. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't. It is rude for a stranger to come up to another stranger and start asking them touchy questions. None of these posts are meant for the players. If the players want to make their presence known (I know some are registered), then I am sure (just from human nature) that the belligerent posts would be minimal (not entirely gone). I don't encourage players reading the board though.. just like I don't encourage myself to read fan reports of my products (at work) either ;) To back up my claim, there are more than a couple people on this board I would like to rip apart for being annoying and crazy sometimes, yet I know them at the games and that gets enough respect to NOT do that.

Football boards are effectively sports bars without the beer. Although, reading some of the posts on Saturday night, some of you were posting with the beer.

...and no, it doesn't require us to be parents to have an opinion.

...and no, we didn't have to play football to be knowledgeable.

...and no, we don't have to be 30+ year season ticket holders to have a voice.

That is the beauty of fandom.

Might be the best post I've read in months.

I read the article (glancingly admitted) -- where is the terrible ripping of the player? Is it inferred? Or blatant?

Thats my problem with that article is that it doesn't state anything that he had done on the field. The entire article is about off the field things. And when I say off the field thing I DON'T mean off the field problems. If the kid is missing class, failing classes, starting fights, getting arrested, etc etc, thats one thing. But to rip him for being a mamma's boy, or getting nervous is ridiculous.

I was on the fence about this until Jenni Carlson's followup column. Coach Gundy wouldn't identify any of the errors in her column, which he said was "three-fourths" wrong. His larger sentiment of defending his player was good, but he did it by picking the easiest whipping boy -- a journalist. And Mr. "Go after me, I'm a man" won't back up his words.

I also wonder if the fact she's female had anything to do with how far he blew his top.

If I were that quarterback, I'd be cringing at my coach calling me a child who runs home crying to my mother.