Fw*telegram Blurbs

OldTimer

If our head football coach wants his practices closed to the public,

that is his choice. I will back what ever Coach Dodge wants!

I am sure he has his reasons for closing practice to NT fans,

and everyone else. I want the players to focus on learning their

assignments, positions, offense and defense schemes, and how

to play Dodge Ball. The players need all the teaching and coaching

they can handle right now. This time is very critical to the development

of the whole football team, so let the staff do their job.

I believe Coach Dodge will open up the practice restrictions after

the season has started.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

when did UNT become the Harvard of Texas? Why can't these guys get their s**t together and take care of business? Makes me wonder about committment to team if they won't keep themselves eligible without having to sweat it out in summer school.

Amen! Those of us sitting in air-conditioned comfort should continue to question the commitment of others who play football in full pads in 100 degree heat and risk permanent injury while also attending -- now get this -- college.

If only they cared as much as we do. It's about time those players learned that real commitment consists of typing these little messages.

---I am surprized that practice is closed this early in fall practice... I would expect it the final two weeks when they are preparing for a certain opponent but not now. I doubt that this will happen in future years when teams have a "clue" as to what to expect from Dodge and UNT. This year they have no idea what he will bring and he is keeping it that way. Not a bad idea really because opponents have the time to check us out and plan at this point. We have both a first and second opponent that are not all that far away from Denton which could think about what to do when playing us if they had any idea of what we might be doing. . I support it, at least this year....keep them in the dark.

Feel free to continue over-analyzing this. It's a scrimmage which is a glorified practice, not the fall's equivalent of the spring game. THAT was a showcase for the fans. As coach, Todge has complete say over whether or not his practices are open to distractions, *cough* I mean, public are. We have no right to dictate otherwise.

Spinning this into OU paranoia, DD hangovers, or whether or not this reflects we are officially "big-time" is absurd. But that seems to be happening with every thread around here lately. I'm still waiting for the "potential donor" topic to surface.

I still think WW has a chance to start.

---I am surprized that practice is closed this early in fall practice... I would expect it the final two weeks when they are preparing for a certain opponent but not now. I doubt that this will happen in future years when teams have a "clue" as to what to expect from Dodge and UNT. This year they have no idea what he will bring and he is keeping it that way. Not a bad idea really because opponents have the time to check us out and plan at this point. We have both a first and second opponent that are not all that far away from Denton which could think about what to do when playing us if they had any idea of what we might be doing. . I support it, at least this year....keep them in the dark.

UT and A&M practices are closed also, and their coaches have been at their respective schools for several years .

For every player at NT that has grade problems there are probaly 20 that work hard to make the grade like my son. Remember, some of these young men still have growing up to do.

Charley has moved to DE so I might be able to find about Gimore missing practice...I don't beleive it's anything major

Feel free to continue over-analyzing this. It's a scrimmage which is a glorified practice, not the fall's equivalent of the spring game. THAT was a showcase for the fans. As coach, Todge has complete say over whether or not his practices are open to distractions, *cough* I mean, public are. We have no right to dictate otherwise.

Spinning this into OU paranoia, DD hangovers, or whether or not this reflects we are officially "big-time" is absurd. But that seems to be happening with every thread around here lately. I'm still waiting for the "potential donor" topic to surface.

I still think WW has a chance to start.

Once again I defer to greenminer for logic...

As for grades...I think many of you have your priorities way out of whack...there are so many players who have passed through here who could care less about their grades and have adversly affected the team...WW, from the reports I've seen...I'm 2000 miles away now so I have no personal knowledge, seems to be attempting to get his academic act in line so that he is eligible. And to parallel the fact that a player is struggling with his grades to his commitment to the team is just stupid.

Let's stop pretending closing the scrimmages and practices has anything to do with secrecy. There are several SEC schools that have every practice open and even UT has a few of its practices open to the public.

I guess those BCS schools don't have the spying resources FIU and MTSU have.

That said, it's Coach Dodges' decision to make.

I have no problem with TD running his practices any way he wants with whatever restrictions he wants. The term "closed" is what is up for debate. What does closed mean in TD's context? It seems to mean nobody on the actual practice field, while outside the fence is fine, media included only outside the fence, parents fine inside Fouts, spies and donors need not apply (just kidding). When is closed really closed vs just sorta closed? Is an event in full public view actually closed? Closed should be closed....no viewing by anyone, tarps up, no peeking!

Once again I defer to greenminer for logic...

And to parallel the fact that a player is struggling with his grades to his commitment to the team is just stupid.

It's not stupid at all. One goes with the other. If a player is not going to class or generally blowing off school then he is a detriment to the team and can't be relied on. How is that not a commitment issue?

If by struggling, the player is trying as hard as he can and is struggling with the course work, that is a different issue. However, most of the problems of academics have seemed to fall in the “blowing off school” category.

I have no problem with TD running his practices any way he wants with whatever restrictions he wants. The term "closed" is what is up for debate. What does closed mean in TD's context? It seems to mean nobody on the actual practice field, while outside the fence is fine, media included only outside the fence, parents fine inside Fouts, spies and donors need not apply (just kidding). When is closed really closed vs just sorta closed? Is an event in full public view actually closed? Closed should be closed....no viewing by anyone, tarps up, no peeking!

[/quote

:wacko:

Edited by MeanGreen61

I will take a disciplined program with closed pratices that wins over a piss poor program with open practices anyday. If I remember correctly, OU was having closed practices too while they find a qb.

FIU and MTSU with spies? Ha. Although, there IS a certain coach 30 minutes south of Denton that may be willing to do whatever he has to not to lose to NT again with his job on the line. OU can't afford another TCU or Boise State occurence. FAU and on will have film on us from the OU game and possible the SMU game. These two programs have nothing to gain by beating us and everything to lose if we beat them.

Respect the coach's wishes and stop whining. It could be worse, we could still have Darrell "8 in the box" Dickey here.

I hope closing practice will drive more people to the away games.

There have very few if any criticism's of Dodge since he has come to UNT. Although this is a discussion board and various opinions are welcome and encouraged all of us need to realize one thing, DODGE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING!!!! Every one of us praise Dodge for everything he has already done and realize how great he truly is and will be for this university. There is a reason Dodge in HEAD COACH and we are not, the guy's life revolves around football and they guy knows what he is doing. If TD wants practice closed for what ever reason thats fine with me, yeah dickey let us watch practice but look where he is now and where he got us.......( two consecutive HORRIBLE seasons). On a lighter note this may sound hypocritical but at last Saturdays scrimmage i backed my truck up to the fence at that deck at the south end zone and stood in the back with a fellow board member and watched the scrimmage Mwahahahahaha!!!!!!!! so if you must watch thats an option.......

It's not stupid at all. One goes with the other. If a player is not going to class or generally blowing off school then he is a detriment to the team and can't be relied on. How is that not a commitment issue?

If by struggling, the player is trying as hard as he can and is struggling with the course work, that is a different issue. However, most of the problems of academics have seemed to fall in the “blowing off school” category.

And you know this how, O Wise and All-Seeing One?

Let's stop pretending closing the scrimmages and practices has anything to do with secrecy. There are several SEC schools that have every practice open and even UT has a few of its practices open to the public.

I guess those BCS schools don't have the spying resources FIU and MTSU have.

That said, it's Coach Dodges' decision to make.

Where the frack have you been?

Gilmore would be a big loss at DE.

How big is Charlie up to now? Did he play D-end in H.S.?

Charley told me a couple of days ago he has not weighed less than 253Lbs after practice which would indicate true weight.

Yes he played DE in high school; in fact he could have been all-state at either posistion and led the team in tackles, sacks punts blocked etc....

Can't wait to see Charlie on the D-side of the ball.

As for TD and the closed practice. Maybe it's because of the QB competition....it's something that many schools do when in this situation. And it seems as though we are still getting some pretty good reports from them. So it doesn't seem as though they are to closed. For the next one someone just needs to lie and say they are a parent of a player.

Can't wait to see Charlie on the D-side of the ball.

As for TD and the closed practice. Maybe it's because of the QB competition....it's something that many schools do when in this situation. And it seems as though we are still getting some pretty good reports from them. So it doesn't seem as though they are to closed. For the next one someone just needs to lie and say they are a parent of a player.

I have no problem with TD closing practices.....after all it's the end product we're all concerned with is it not?

And it seems as though we are still getting some pretty good reports from them. So it doesn't seem as though they are to closed. For the next one someone just needs to lie and say they are a parent of a player.

This could be the makings of a pretty good fundraiser actually ....fans bid to be adopted by a player so they can attend scrimmages. B)

Many teams across the country close practices to fans, so not sure what the big deal is other than we are not used to this. I understand pissing and moaning about the first scrimmage since it was such a clusterfrick, but this time to many fans are pissing and moaning as if someone stole their favorite toy.

From speaking with a former coach who goes to many of the practices across the country, he says they are mostly closed to the fans. I don't have a problem with him closing it, but I can also understand that many of you have gone in the past and don't like the changes. I am game either way.