Fw*telegram Blurbs

OldTimer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

WR Korey Washington, a starter when spring practice ended, practiced for the first time Monday after finishing required summer school coursework. DE Eddrick Gilmore and WW have yet to practice.

Scrimmage Saturday closed except for family of players.

Okay, new coach... new offense.... new rules. I get it. BUT, I dont think taking the dedicated fans and Alums away from the team completely helps our cause? If we only wanted to see OUR team on game-days... we would all be UT fans or Aggies. The great thing about being a Mean Green Alum is being part of the plan...not seperated from it? Emmitt posted a thread about going to watch SMU play their scrimmage on Sat. SMU???, and he is one of the most dediacted Mean Green Alums we have? I know we are all desperate for football, but this is getting ridiculous. Rick V. said he would right this ship, and hiring Todd Dodge is a huge step in that process. I'm not sure keeping Fans and Alums away from the practices and scrimmages is a good thing? At least give us as much time with them as the SMU fans are getting with their team? (My God this sounds like a custody battle?)

RV, please dont remove the dedicated supporters of this program from being a part of this process? The players love hearing us cheer for them when they make a good play, or get a big hit. I asked Don McGee once if the fans were a distraction to the players in practice?, an he told me they feed off of us and work a little harder. We DO make a difference out there.

No more whining, just please let us support OUR team... yes, they are OURS.

GMG!!! :angry:

Okay, new coach... new offense.... new rules. I get it. BUT, I dont think taking the dedicated fans and Alums away from the team completely helps our cause? If we only wanted to see OUR team on game-days... we would all be UT fans or Aggies. The great thing about being a Mean Green Alum is being part of the plan...not seperated from it? Emmitt posted a thread about going to watch SMU play their scrimmage on Sat. SMU???, and he is one of the most dediacted Mean Green Alums we have? I know we are all desperate for football, but this is getting ridiculous. Rick V. said he would right this ship, and hiring Todd Dodge is a huge step in that process. I'm not sure keeping Fans and Alums away from the practices and scrimmages is a good thing? At least give us as much time with them as the SMU fans are getting with their team? (My God this sounds like a custody battle?)

RV, please dont remove the dedicated supporters of this program from being a part of this process? The players love hearing us cheer for them when they make a good play, or get a big hit. I asked Don McGee once if the fans were a distraction to the players in practice?, an he told me they feed off of us and work a little harder. We DO make a difference out there.

No more whining, just please let us support OUR team... yes, they are OURS.

GMG!!! :angry:

It's either a concern about spys getting in, or fans blabbing too much on the board about what they saw. It could also be a concern about the fans distracting the players, because they are still learning his system and every "rep" is precious.

When Don McGee was playing, you could distract a player for about half of the practice and they would still not miss anything.

This is Coach Dodge's program and if he only wants player's parents at Saturday practice then that is the way it is. As dedicated football freeks that some of you are you will have to get your "high" somewhere else on Saturday before the season begins.

Perhaps you, medpilot, and ffr can take his cannon in the country and shoot squirels for the next two Saturdays. :D

Is it possible that with the attention the Mean Green is getting because of TD as our HC, teams are a little more concerned about playing us? Scrimmages, while installing a new offense, probably leave nothing to the imagination. Having closed practices and scrimmages keep at least some of the prying eyes away. I can think of one team, in fairly close proximity, that really doesn’t want to lose to us and would probably take advantage of open practices & scrimmages to try and get a leg up. With the scrimmages being closed, does that mean that the Mock Game on the 24th is going to be closed as well?

I think you're burying the lead here, why didn't WW or Gilmore practice yesterday, WW should have been back like Washington and this is the first I've heard about Gilmore being gone. On another post, an article in the DRC said WW "...still has a chance to play...", what the hell does that mean...that he might not play this season? Also, I'm going to be very disappointed if Gilmore misses the season again.

This is Coach Dodge's program and if he only wants player's parents at Saturday practice then that is the way it is. As dedicated football freeks that some of you are you will have to get your "high" somewhere else on Saturday before the season begins.

Perhaps you, medpilot, and ffr can take his cannon in the country and shoot squirels for the next two Saturdays. :D

Haha, not much of a hunter... even with a cannon. I guess we're going to Ford to watch SMU scrimmage. Better than no football I guess?

Okay Emm, I'm in.

GMG!!!

Is it possible that with the attention the Mean Green is getting because of TD as our HC, teams are a little more concerned about playing us? Scrimmages, while installing a new offense, probably leave nothing to the imagination. Having closed practices and scrimmages keep at least some of the prying eyes away. I can think of one team, in fairly close proximity, that really doesn’t want to lose to us and would probably take advantage of open practices & scrimmages to try and get a leg up. With the scrimmages being closed, does that mean that the Mock Game on the 24th is going to be closed as well?

While being 300+ miles from Denton and unable to attend pre-season practices, I find no fault with closing them to the public. Dodge and NT are an unknown at this point. Wouldn't you expect one of Stoops' stooges to drop in on a few NT practices if they could? It may just be NT in the opener, but zeroU has to be looking over their shoulders after the Boise bowl debacle.

DD took many risks in recruiting. Players like Gilmore are only here because they represented academic risks the "Bigs" thought were to great to take a chance on. We could make a list of DD's recruits that were big time talents but never or seldom saw the field because of academic issues. This is obviously not just a factor in DD's recruiting, but a even greater part of some of our Belt competition recruiting strategy. One problem is that some other Belt schools seem to be able to keep more of this type of recruit in school.

It would be very disappointing if Gilmore does not make it as he was one of the players TD pointed to as having a big spring. The good news is that TD is not going to have to rely on taking the sane risks as DD to get quality players.

While being 300+ miles from Denton and unable to attend pre-season practices, I find no fault with closing them to the public. Dodge and NT are an unknown at this point. Wouldn't you expect one of Stoops' stooges to drop in on a few NT practices if they could? It may just be NT in the opener, but zeroU has to be looking over their shoulders after the Boise bowl debacle.

They can, in fact they can park closer to the practice field than sitting in Fouts and record everything. There are no screens on the practice field fences so I don't know what the big deal is about keeping anything a secret. Fouts also has many viewing spots while not actually being in the stadium. Denton ISD's stadium would be a better "secure" facility than anything at UNT. Like the theme says: "it's wide open"!

It is sad that Mean Green fans have to resort to go watch other college teams practice because they are told to stay away from their own team, the one they are helping to finance. We need to make it a perk of being in the MGC that you get to attend a scrimmage or such, some access that the general public can't get. End of rant. <_<

They can, in fact they can park closer to the practice field than sitting in Fouts and record everything. There are no screens on the practice field fences so I don't know what the big deal is about keeping anything a secret. Fouts also has many viewing spots while not actually being in the stadium. Denton ISD's stadium would be a better "secure" facility than anything at UNT. Like the theme says: "it's wide open"!

It is sad that Mean Green fans have to resort to go watch other college teams practice because they are told to stay away from their own team, the one they are helping to finance. We need to make it a perk of being in the MGC that you get to attend a scrimmage or such, some access that the general public can't get. End of rant. <_<

Many teams across the country close practices to fans, so not sure what the big deal is other than we are not used to this. I understand pissing and moaning about the first scrimmage since it was such a clusterfrick, but this time to many fans are pissing and moaning as if someone stole their favorite toy.

The suggestion to attend $MU's scrimmage was just down right wrong!!! No other way to put it!

no kidding... just watch preseason football or something people!

As we grow into a big time program, we'll have to start acting more big time and that means there will be some closed practices. Everything wont always be readily accessible to people on the sole basis they are a self-proclaimed "hard core" fan.

It's Dodge's first year and he's implementing a new system that is going to be tested by the best defense in the big 12- which is also one of the 5 best in the nation- in the first week in front of a sell-out crowd! I imagine he wants as few distractions as possible. Let the man do it the way he does it... it took him to several state champs and a 79-1 record. That makes him the expert...

Now, that being said, shouldn't we have green pants for home games?

Get over it! My lord, sometimes the whinning and moaning on this board reminds me of a sorority house....except you guys are not 5'4, 110 lbs with C-cups.

It is Dodge's first team..new offense, new defense...let the man have practice without having to worry about hurting someones feelings!!!

Sept 1st is not too far away boys.

PS I know some of us have C-cups...but man boobs do not count.

I think the problem is that Coach Dodge does not want any of the players hurt by flying tortillas. Come on folks if you are going to support the program, support the program . Coach is not doing anything that most coaches do by trying to conceal what he is going to do in order to use all he's got to qain an advantage.

Many teams across the country close practices to fans, so not sure what the big deal is other than we are not used to this. I understand pissing and moaning about the first scrimmage since it was such a clusterfrick, but this time to many fans are pissing and moaning as if someone stole their favorite toy.

I think that is really an accurate look at this. We were certainly spoiled with Darrell Dickey as the head coach. He wanted us attending practices and scrimmages, and considerred that important. Regardless of how DD's tenure ended, I liked being on the field with the players during practices and scrimages. Of course Todd Dodge brings several changes with him, and they will all probably all pay off. I think going from having total access to no-access is my beef. If everyone really thinks this is okay, then I'll buy it too. I wont like it, and I cant share practices and scrimmages with my son... but we have another team to go watch until the season starts? All will be okay... I just have to adjust.

Sorry for the topic hi-jack. Go Mean Green on September 1st!!!..hehe

GMG!!! :)

Really now you guys are crying like little "gurly men." I imagine that this is simply a safety issue with the remodeling of the bathrooms, fence and such at the stadium. Perhaps there will be no "facilities" and this is why they are closing it to the public. Who knows, so get over it!!!! If TD was truely trying to be secretive and hide a "Statue of Liberty" play or something, I imagine that he would have put up screens at the practice fields AND closed the scrimmage.

Please God, let the next 3 weeks pass quickly!!!!!

We were certainly spoiled with Darrell Dickey as the head coach. He wanted us attending practices and scrimmages, and considerred that important.

Could the difference be that DD knew a game with zeroU was unwinnable and merely to fund the athletic dept., whereas Dodge goes into the game "trying to win the damn thing".

Then again, it could just be lack of facilities at Fouts during the remodeling. God forbid one of us attend a practice/scrimmage at Fouts and there is nowhere to take a piss. :ph34r: All hell would break loose on this board!