Totally Insane

eeally

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does UNT not have a baseball team!!!

I get the money, title 13, facilities etc.

I would love an update!

Just type in the year.

Actually it's title 9. My guess is sometime between 2019 & 2049.

But I believe he has a football stadium and a football indoor practice field to fund before he worries about anding baseball and woman's bowling or whatever sport needs to be added to meet title 9 rules.

Not trying to defend Rick V, because I have a lot of issues with him, but I will defend him on this point.

Actually it's title 9. My guess is sometime between 2019 & 2049.

But I believe he has a football stadium and a football indoor practice field to fund before he worries about anding baseball and woman's bowling or whatever sport needs to be added to meet title 9 rules.

Not trying to defend Rick V, because I have a lot of issues with him, but I will defend him on this point.

Yes, I believe it's a combination of reasons, but at the top is Title 9, equal number of ships for men and women. If we add baseball, which I believe requires 13 men's ships then we must add lacrosse or another women's sport with 13 ships. So really we are now talking adding 26 ships, plus a baseball field and lacrosse field (or whatever sport), plus equipment, plus travel, plus paid coaches = $3-4 million startup without ever playing a game yet.

Then consider a minimum $1.5-2 million per season to keep it going and within 3 years you have spent $10 million. $10 million of which could have went towards the $40 million new football stadium which would bring in the $1 million A&M game to Denton which Smut is hosting in a few years. Then you can start to build some real revenue to finance those extra sports like baseball. It's just a matter of $$ and choices with the limited amout we have. I want baseball too, but I want a new $tadium, and better conference first.

Edited by NT80

Eaally, I think Rick is just as anxious as you are for North Texas to field a baseball team. Rick loves college baseball and has talked about starting a program since he first arrived at North Texas.

There are a multitude of challenges facing baseball's start-up however; funding, facilities, Title IX, etc.

Rick has addressed working on the quality of our current programs instead of overly extending the the university with a quantity of new programs. I too want a baseball team, but only when there is the ability to make sure it is a quality program. In the 1980s North Texas had a baseball team and it had a horrible record every single year. The games were played in a public park accross town and the coach sometimes also ran the concessions booth. Admission was free and nobody other than parents and girlfriends ever attended.

We shouldn't start a team until we can supply all the necessary infrastructure and funding needed to support it.

Baseball requires 11.7 scholarships...and NCAA Division 1 baseball is the 4th best sport for overall attendance.

Please hold on for a few months...I believe we will see a first class baseball program here before everyone thinks.

Any more details?

Let the speculation start on who UNT Mean Green is......

Can't really say much at this point, but there is definitely a lot of work going on to get a program at this very moment. There's so much more to it than people think, but I firmly believe we will commence a baseball program soon.

If we can support women's softball we can support men's baseball

PERIOD

This picture of the softball stadium is high schoolish and is only full of fans because we were playing OU. I'd rather not add baseball unless, 1- we can fully fund it without scraficing other programs/facilities, 2- If we build a first class facility. No more high school stuff.

YSUMJZHHUDKPAHF.20070417151434.jpg

This picture of the softball stadium is high schoolish and is only full of fans because we were playing OU. I'd rather not add baseball unless, 1- we can fully fund it without scraficing other programs/facilities, 2- If we build a first class facility. No more high school stuff.

Our stadium is Rangers' Ballpark in Arlington compared to Kansas University's Arrocha Ballpark. This stadium, which just completed renovations, is not as nice as many city parks or high school stadiums. I agree, I'd rather not have baseball unless we can fund it, without hurting other programs and have a frst class facility, but unless one of the members on the board hits the lottery, I don't think it will happen that way.

Starting a program from scratch is not easy, with players or facilities, but it's impossible to build a fan base without having a program. You build a fanbase, then you build nice facilities.

arrocha-ballpark-500w.jpg

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think the UNT Softball stadium is high schoolish, and definitely have not seen what else is out there. Why would they do an Under Armour commercial there during its 1st year in existence? Do you think Under Armour's marketing committee says, "We want to shoot this commercial at this piece of crap high schoolish softball stadium in Denton where North Texas plays its home games"? Heck no they don't. What other stadium does North Texas have where they have hosted OU in a game?

The case with most college facilities is that they start somewhere, and continually improve that particular facility until it turns into something special. Especially with a new program. Look at our softball stadium. It's a very nice and functional facility to start a program in. Not to mention, the players have an indoor hitting facility, locker rooms, and academic center on the same piece of property. Add a brick facade and permanent restrooms/concessions to Lovelace Stadium (which are in the plans), and what do you have? Oh just a facility similar to LSU, or Texas. Don't cry and moan over the softball stadium. That's definitely one of least things you should worry about.

As far as the baseball program, you definitely want to do it right the first time. Are you going to have golden sinks and faucets in the bathrooms with Eagles etched into them...no. Are you going to have a functional facility that benefits athletes and coaches, and gives your fans a nice place to watch a game....yes, and quite frankly, that's all you can ask for when beginning a program.

It certainly puts my high school's to shame! I've been to a couple (not a lot) college softball fields and UNT's is really nice.

For the record, I think golden sinks and faucets in the bathrooms with Eagles etched into them would be f'n SWEET.

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think the UNT Softball stadium is high schoolish, and definitely have not seen what else is out there. Why would they do an Under Armour commercial there during its 1st year in existence? Do you think Under Armour's marketing committee says, "We want to shoot this commercial at this piece of crap high schoolish softball stadium in Denton where North Texas plays its home games"? Heck no they don't. What other stadium does North Texas have where they have hosted OU in a game?

The case with most college facilities is that they start somewhere, and continually improve that particular facility until it turns into something special. Especially with a new program. Look at our softball stadium. It's a very nice and functional facility to start a program in. Not to mention, the players have an indoor hitting facility, locker rooms, and academic center on the same piece of property. Add a brick facade and permanent restrooms/concessions to Lovelace Stadium (which are in the plans), and what do you have? Oh just a facility similar to LSU, or Texas. Don't cry and moan over the softball stadium. That's definitely one of least things you should worry about.

As far as the baseball program, you definitely want to do it right the first time. Are you going to have golden sinks and faucets in the bathrooms with Eagles etched into them...no. Are you going to have a functional facility that benefits athletes and coaches, and gives your fans a nice place to watch a game....yes, and quite frankly, that's all you can ask for when beginning a program.

I attended my first NT softball game this spring against FIU and was very surprised how nice the facility is and how good the attendance was. I expected maybe 30 fans but there was over 100 for a regular SBC game.

NT played softball in a Denton park last year as well as tennis and soccer and now have nice facilities for all. Are they Big12 quality? Except for Kansas, probably not, but I'd bet they are as good as any in the SBC or SLC and they can be improved more later. Better than SMUt's, oh that's right, they don't sponsor softball, or baseball either. <_<

If you want to compare facilities to high school then compare Denton ISD's football stadium to Fouts and see which one a stranger thinks is the college stadium. :(

Edited by NT80

Maybe UA picked NT because it is close to Dallas, it's new, and we didn't charge them much to film there. Not necessarily because it is the 'cream of the crop'...don't get me wrong I def. think its better than the stadium that they weren't playing in before, but my concern is about the transportable concession stand and bathrooms. I dont think it would have been that much more of a stretch either financially or architectually to include some permanent facilities...thought I dont mind waiting if the restrooms will have golden faucets and budets (sp?). :)

Hey, I agree...we have a great softball stadium....now, back to baseball....WHY BASEBALL and not men's soccer????? Baseball costs more than soccer...more equipment, more travel, more games, etc., etc. AND, we alreday have a home soccer complex that is just fine! Soooooooooo, we spend money for a new baseball field...11.7 scholarships (how many do you need for men's soccer????), new uniforms, coaching staff, support staff, etc., etc. Who is the BIG DOG SUPPORTER paying for all this? I did hear a rumor somewhere that there was a LARGE contribution made to start men's baseball...anyone know if that's true or not? We use Title IX as an excuse for lots of things, but why ddoes it not factor into starting up baseball? Just wondering...

Hey, I agree...we have a great softball stadium....now, back to baseball....WHY BASEBALL and not men's soccer????? Baseball costs more than soccer...more equipment, more travel, more games, etc., etc. AND, we alreday have a home soccer complex that is just fine! Soooooooooo, we spend money for a new baseball field...11.7 scholarships (how many do you need for men's soccer????), new uniforms, coaching staff, support staff, etc., etc. Who is the BIG DOG SUPPORTER paying for all this? I did hear a rumor somewhere that there was a LARGE contribution made to start men's baseball...anyone know if that's true or not? We use Title IX as an excuse for lots of things, but why ddoes it not factor into starting up baseball? Just wondering...

1. Besides $$, Title IX is the main factor for not starting up baseball..or men's soccer, or any other men's program.

2. There are few college men's soccer programs remaining (due to Title IX) and the SBC does not sponsor the sport. Neither does CUSA. SMUt's men's team I believe is in the Missouri Valley Conf as an associate member for soccer.

3. The BIG DOG donor for baseball offered this several years ago (Helwig era) and now has given $1.5 mil towards the football stadium instead (more priority now).

The cost is outrageous for men’s soccer. The only D1 program in the state is SMU. So travel would be very costly. That is why the sport was picked to be dropped to meet Title IX regulations. It also is a big loser at the gate. The cost of scholarships does not even come close to being made up at the gate.

• 5 weeks later...

Rick V. can only go in so many directions. I believe that the Football Stadium is the high priority right now. However, I see an indoor football practice facility in less than two years, Hopefully less.

Rick knows if the bread is to be buttered (in the grand scheme of all athletics), it will be the result of the success of the Dodge era. I believe it is now or never for UNT to go to the next level and it always starts with football.

I just hope that Dodge's contract has a 7 figure buyout to keep at least some of the schools away.

Rick knows if the bread is to be buttered (in the grand scheme of all athletics), it will be the result of the success of the Dodge era. I believe it is now or never for UNT to go to the next level and it always starts with football.

I just hope that Dodge's contract has a 7 figure buyout to keep at least some of the schools away.

New coach has five-year contract

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

New North Texas football coach Todd Dodge signed an escalating five-year contract through the 2011 season that averages $331,448 per season in base salary and guaranteed compensation -- a figure 3 1/2 times his pay at Carroll High School.

Dodge's $75,000 per year in guaranteed compensation includes a $30,000 radio stipend, $20,000 in end-of-season deferred money and $25,000 for North Texas maintaining its NCAA certification, Division I-A status and Sun Belt Conference membership. He'll also receive an annual $6,000 car allowance.

The contract also has incentives tied to season-ticket sales, conference titles, bowl appearances, bowl wins, season win totals, top 25 rankings, coach of the year awards and team academics.

Dodge's ticket bonuses will kick in if North Texas sells at least 5,000 season tickets. UNT sold between 1,500 and 2,000 season tickets last season.

The contract's buyout clause requires Dodge to pay UNT one year's base salary, which would range from $185,000 to $224,869.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How long do you think that a BCS program would be delayed by a buyout of $185,000 to $224,869 if they wanted a certain coach?

Baseball....give it a rest...bring back men's soccer...no, the cost would be much less than baseball...even considering the out of stste travel...how many away games does the baseball team play...hey, the college world series is just now over...check the number of games D-1 baseball teams play....40 plus per season...how many away games????? We already have a great soccer pitch ready to go...no extra cost there...scholarships are fewer in soccer than baseball and you need much less equipment and uniform costs for soccer.....so, if your argument is cost...GreenBat...give it a rest. But, have no fear...looks like baseball is on the way...soccer, not so much! Ah, yes, baseball and the Rangers, the only game where you can get up, go to the men's room (or ladies room as the case might be) stand in line at the concession stand for a beer and dog, get back to your seat about 30 min. later and the same guy is at the plate and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has happened in all that time. Really exciting...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Baseball...great game to play...absolutely boring to watch for 3 hr. or so. O.K., you baseball folks...bring it on....I can see the steam rising now about the low scoring soccer games...just remember, if a soccer goal counted 6+1point for a PAT points like football we would see a lot of 14-7, 21-0, etc. games and everyone would be talking about all the points scored in soccer. What's up with a TD counting 6 points anyway? Why not 1 point...it's only one TD, right? <_<