To All Talons Alumni

Boomer23

I would like to announce that last night I, Michael Maher, was elected the new President of Talons. I have also taken over as General of Cannon Crew.

I would like to express that I have many plans to change the organization and return it to the great status it once had. Small things such as chalking the sidewalks will return as well as some other changes that I will not yet announce.

I would also like all Alumni to know how much I appreciate each of them, for if it was not for them there would be no current organization or even a university. Look forward to more interaction between the Talons of new and those of old. Spread the word to the other former Talons to look for change and be ready to be contacted.

This is just the beginning. The future success of the organization lies not only on my shoulders but on those shoulders of my current members as well as the alumni.

I look forward to a successful future not only for Talons but for the University of North Texas.

Thank You.

Michael Philip Maher

Talons President

mpmaher529@hotmail.com

Congratulations Michael! It's a tough job, and no matter what you accomplish, you'll always feel like you could've done more. Every President I know felt that way. Hopefully you have a kick ass VP(who you get along with), who can get on the ball with the Committes to help ya out. I'm sure you'll do a great job. Proud to be a Talon.

Courtland M. Jindra

Talon President Fall '00 & Spring '01

I would like to announce that last night I, Michael Maher, was elected the new President of Talons. I have also taken over as General of Cannon Crew.

I would like to express that I have many plans to change the organization and return it to the great status it once had. Small things such as chalking the sidewalks will return as well as some other changes that I will not yet announce.

I would also like all Alumni to know how much I appreciate each of them, for if it was not for them there would be no current organization or even a university. Look forward to more interaction between the Talons of new and those of old. Spread the word to the other former Talons to look for change and be ready to be contacted.

This is just the beginning. The future success of the organization lies not only on my shoulders but on those shoulders of my current members as well as the alumni.

I look forward to a successful future not only for Talons but for the University of North Texas.

Thank You.

Michael Philip Maher

Talons President

mpmaher529@hotmail.com

Welcome to one of the most rewarding and thankless jobs on campus. Congrats! You have at least three former Presidents on this board (CMJ, Austin Talon and myself) and I'm sure any of us would be glad to offer you any assistance you might need...I no, I don't mean complaining and critiques. :lol:

Do you have any plans to revisit the idea of alumni voting priveleges?

Welcome to one of the most rewarding and thankless jobs on campus. Congrats! You have at least three former Presidents on this board (CMJ, Austin Talon and myself) and I'm sure any of us would be glad to offer you any assistance you might need...I no, I don't mean complaining and critiques. :lol:

Do you have any plans to revisit the idea of alumni voting priveleges?

Make that four former Presidents (Spring 1993), even if you weren't double digits in age when that took place. Ditto what Emmitt said. Congratulations!

Speaking as a Talon Alum, just having an effective and consistent line of communciation between Alumni and Actives would be great. You might find that to be the best way to help implement any changes you might envision for the organization. Good luck!

Carlos N. Leal

cnleal@yahoo.com

From a non-talon member

Congratulations, I thrilled that new prez of Talons is a person who is actually involved in Athletics and posts on GMG.com

Remember Flyers and Banners the week of a big game, brings people to the game and to tailgate. Best of Luck

Attendance is our biggest issue. Let's overcrowd Fouts so we can have more REASONS for a new stadium.

When I nominated you last week, it wasn't because I liked you better than the other eligible folks, or because us few guys have to stick together, or anything like that. It was because I was sold on your product before you even told us what it was. You have the connections and are building more, you see what Talons was and where it can be again. Talons needed a leader, and I'm not talking down on the past few presidents, but you are someone who the rest of the organization will follow off a cliff. Even though we may not be around, I'm sure my fellow alums would love to hear your ideas and offer feedback and support. I get the spam from the Yahoo group, so I know it works.

If I remember correctly, meangreenqueen was President in '02 or thereabouts.

When I nominated you last week, it wasn't because I liked you better than the other eligible folks, or because us few guys have to stick together, or anything like that. It was because I was sold on your product before you even told us what it was. You have the connections and are building more, you see what Talons was and where it can be again. Talons needed a leader, and I'm not talking down on the past few presidents, but you are someone who the rest of the organization will follow off a cliff. Even though we may not be around, I'm sure my fellow alums would love to hear your ideas and offer feedback and support. I get the spam from the Yahoo group, so I know it works.

If I remember correctly, meangreenqueen was President in '02 or thereabouts.

You are exactly right about meangreenqueen...I'll probably be in trouble for not remembering that since she'll be family soon. :lol:

Congrats.

As Emmitt mentioned and I spoke about it also on Sunday, the alumni would take a more active role if given back our original voting priveledges. It gives us a reason to come back onto campus, meet the new folks, share ideas and help out for the future.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing from you

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It was because I was sold on your product before you even told us what it was.

You mean Sidewalk chalk?

"return it to the great status it once had. Small things such as chalking the sidewalks will return as well as some other changes that I will not yet announce. "

When was this a 'great status'? We're not in grade school so why graffiti up our campus? Not trying to be negative but does anyone else thing that using Sidewalk chalk 'to change the organization and return it to the great status it once had' is an oxymoron?

You mean Sidewalk chalk?

"return it to the great status it once had. Small things such as chalking the sidewalks will return as well as some other changes that I will not yet announce. "

When was this a 'great status'? We're not in grade school so why graffiti up our campus? Not trying to be negative but does anyone else thing that using Sidewalk chalk 'to change the organization and return it to the great status it once had' is an oxymoron?

Yes, he had me at "sidewalk chalk" :rolleyes:

It's the stuff you learn through working with someone for a few years, and seeing what they're made of and want to do.

Damn.

From a non-talon member

Congratulations, I thrilled that new prez of Talons is a person who is actually involved in Athletics and posts on GMG.com

Remember Flyers and Banners the week of a big game, brings people to the game and to tailgate. Best of Luck

Attendance is our biggest issue. Let's overcrowd Fouts so we can have more REASONS for a new stadium.

ditto.

Not trying to be negative but does anyone else thing that using Sidewalk chalk 'to change the organization and return it to the great status it once had' is an oxymoron?

No, I don't believe it's an oxymoron. The primary purpose of the sidewalk chalk is to inform students of athletic events, not change the organization. It's only one of a number of ideas he says he has to get Talons going again. I also don't think sidewalk chalk will "graffiti up " the campus. It's just another method of getting the message out, much like the highway department paints highway signs on the actual lanes as a way to assist motorists in the Metroplex.

As GMG1999 says, anything Talons does to get students excited about NT is okay by me. Spirit and Service are two of the basic tenets of the organization. I would rather see Talons try things and risk having those things fail, than sit on their collective duffs and not do anything. That's not a knock on previous Talons administrations, just excitement at seeing someone express a willingness to put some things into motion.

The primary purpose of the sidewalk chalk is to inform students of athletic events, not change the organization. It's only one of a number of ideas he says he has to get Talons going again. I also don't think sidewalk chalk will "graffiti up " the campus. It's just another method of getting the message out, much like the highway department paints highway signs on the actual lanes as a way to assist motorists in the Metroplex.

Why not just put up signs and keep our campus looking good? Why not send an email out to all the students before athletic events? Why not create a Facebook group or MySpace group or use the internet somehow?

As GMG1999 says, anything Talons does to get students excited about NT is okay by me.

Even if it degrades the image of our University?

Jeezus, it's just the bleedin' sidewalks.

1. Students see it, I remember when I was still a student (just last fall), I'd always stop and look at stuff on the sidewalks. I've seen announcements and stuff for Homecoming from Talons and the RHAs, memorial art for students in front of the SOVA, and different campus events...all on the sidewalks.

2. It washes off. In about a week or so, foot traffic and weather eventually washes it off. In other words, it's far from permanent.

3. It's just fun, really. Signs in the grass and all that aren't quite as cool/fun/spirited to look at as something done by hand. I'm used to it since it's just part of how the campus looks. It doesn't ruin the image of the university (really, ask the students what they think and I'm pretty sure it'll go from "I like them" to "it's not great to look at, but it isn't a big deal").

You wanna know what ruins the way our campus looks?

THE BADLY SPRAY PAINTED LOGO ON THE CHEST OF THE EAGLE IN THE CENTER OF CAMPUS!

--EDIT, and back on topic--

Mike, we got alot of confidence in you. As the alumni voting stuff goes, I'll talk to you in person about it, but it's a good idea. But, for alumni voting to really be of any worth, the alumni has to be involved and be informed. That's the responsibility of the actives and the alumni.

Go get 'em, Mike, congratulations!

Edited by meangreendork

Why not just put up signs and keep our campus looking good? Why not send an email out to all the students before athletic events? Why not create a Facebook group or MySpace group or use the internet somehow?

Those are good things as well. The sidewalks get cleaned on a regular basis, so I don't see the harm in having chalk on them for a day or two.

No, DD, no one wants the NT's image degraded. I just don't see where sidewalk chalk degrades our image when it is used temporarily to promote an event. Maybe I am in the minority.

I think the overall point here is that Talons now has a leader willing to try things and get his organization more actively involved in doing what many people on this board feels is the reason for the organization: promoting spirit within the university. Is every idea going to be effective? I don't think so. The man's got some ideas...I'm willing to listen and help to the extent that I can.

Those are good things as well. The sidewalks get cleaned on a regular basis, so I don't see the harm in having chalk on them for a day or two.

When I lived in Kerr hall I remember seeing all the spirit graffiti and after a day of ppl walking on it it began to fade and bleed and just look terrible. So realistically it gets the message across for a very short while then it looks real bad.

I think the overall point here is that Talons now has a leader willing to try things and get his organization more actively involved in doing what many people on this board feels is the reason for the organization: promoting spirit within the university. Is every idea going to be effective? I don't think so. The man's got some ideas...I'm willing to listen and help to the extent that I can.

I agree and am on board with the spirit thing. I just hope that Mike, or whoever is in charge of doing things, would stop and ask the students their opinions. Unfortunately, as has been said before, the opinions of the few on here (including myself) do not represent what the school as a whole need or desire. So lets ask the whole.

Our ties to the Athletic Department have been strengthened over the past year, and I have no doubt that as the program grows, so will Talons.

Sidewalk chalking was something that folks on here said would be one of the easiest things to do, yet we didn't. Now, Talons will. Personally, I would say leave the dorms to RHA, since they've done sidewalk chalking before Homecoming and other games in the past, but the campus as a whole is free game.

Facebook events should be standard. If one of us didn't start it, someone else did. It's not that we weren't going to, just that someone beat us to it. There was one for the Spring Game last week, and I had a few for the basketball team around the tournaments in March. They are a great way to tell your friends, who can then invite their friends, etc.

This thread reminds me of the movie Die Hard, where Bruce Willis blows up some explosives and a bunch of the building's windows blow out into the street. He gets on the walkie talkie and the Police Chief gets on and yells at him that "There's a lot of good people down here who are covered with glass!" Bruce Willis then says "Glass? Who gives a $#%* about Glass?!"

Chalk? Who gives a $#%* about chalk?

I remember walking around campus, and everytime I saw it I'd stop to see what it said. It didn't make me think the campus looked bad, it made me excited that someone actually gave two $#%*'s about the school and wanted other folks to go. It's chalk! It washes off. Who cares that it's there?

Way to go Talons! Lets build some excitement!

Edited by Mad Hatter

ok ok...why dont we chalk up the buildings too. And maybe the cars, benches, and trees since it doesn't make our campus look bad and all 50 people on GMG.com think its a good idea and speak for the rest of the university. That could be our next tradition...chalk...we could chalk up our bodies and go to the games and throw green chalk at ppl. We could eat chalk sandwiches and drink chalkies...

ok ok...why dont we chalk up the buildings too. And maybe the cars, benches, and trees since it doesn't make our campus look bad and all 50 people on GMG.com think its a good idea and speak for the rest of the university. That could be our next tradition...chalk...we could chalk up our bodies and go to the games and throw green chalk at ppl. We could eat chalk sandwiches and drink chalkies...

Ah yes, when logic isn't in your corner place a call to the ever dependable straw man.

Just so its out there... last I heard the University bans sidewalk chalk in all places across campus except for when RHA does it in front of the dorms, and during Homecoming Week, during which they actually pass out the chalk for free so students can show their spirit (and even then they limit the 'designated' areas to mostly around the library mall).

Otherwise, its frowned upon, and sometimes they make student organizations wash it off for fear of being placed on probation. Obviously they can't stop it (as can be seen by walking across campus on any given day), and often its not student orgs doing it (usually bands, clubs, etc). Perhaps the policy has changed, or maybe they'd be willing to give limited permission. But then that might open up "If they can, why can't I?"....