Memphis Radio

I'm up in Memphis on business this week and tuned to the sports talk station here. A caller brought up Memphis basketball and the city's "dissatisfaction" with Calipari..ie recruiting, image, etc... The host of the show said that while Calipari might be a better recruiter, Johnny Jones was a much better bench coach in his opinion. I doubt that any of us who witnessed the turnaround at the Superpit last year would disagree, but I wanted to pass it along.

What scares me is that after the next 2 seasons of 20-win basketball here at UNT, who comes calling for JJ(Memphis, Arkansas, LSU). Even though he says he love the area and that he wants to build the program, I fear that if a big program comes calling he's gone.

GMG!!!!

Beat texas!!!!

The Perkins deal is a good example of what has the fans there unhappy. Just like Wagner was a one and done deal, this guy probably won't even be there...or at best stay one year. Folks up there seem to be a little embarrassed at what he is turning them into. The Escalades for players is a little interesting too. wink.gif

Corintheagle,

Calipari is a good coach.I coached HS basketball for 25 yrs.He knows his stuff.He is a good bench coach.Not a great one but a good one.Of course he is an outstanding recruiter.When Wagner signed with Memphis everyone knew it was a 1-yr deal.But you still have to do it.Any coach would of taken Wagner even Coach K at Duke.[he might of not got in due to academics.]

Calipari was a terrible NBA coach.No one liked him.The players,fans,trainers,etc.

I've seen him coach all thru college.he recruited several of my players.Some people knock him but thats BS.He is a screamer and rides his players butts.But they play great defense.UMass had great defensive teams.He ran zone traps,pressured the ball,and full court pressed.

And if fans in memphis are upset that these blue chippers leave after a yr,send these guys down to denton.We'll take them for a yr.In fact after eating at Kerr hall for a yr these guys might stay longer.