Information

While at the game I decided to try to settle some of my curiosities about a few things:

So when I was leaving the spring game I happened to be walking along side of one of the players and I asked him if he had a chance to see the new uniforms. He said he had and that they look sweet. He said the jerseys are going to be more Kelly green in color, with white pants and a white helmet. He said he was pretty sure the logo was the same as the current one (North Texas) just on a white helmet though. He said they look similar to SLC but that they still look good. He also mentioned that he hated the current dark green uniforms, I like those so hopefully the new ones will be much better.

Anyone else have any more information at any changes taking place?

While at the game I decided to try to settle some of my curiosities about a few things:

So when I was leaving the spring game I happened to be walking along side of one of the players and I asked him if he had a chance to see the new uniforms. He said he had and that they look sweet. He said the jerseys are going to be more Kelly green in color, with white pants and a white helmet. He said he was pretty sure the logo was the same as the current one (North Texas) just on a white helmet though. He said they look similar to SLC but that they still look good. He also mentioned that he hated the current dark green uniforms, I like those so hopefully the new ones will be much better.

See, I can get on board with this. Everyone fights about Uni's and helmets. But I will always be one of those people that would prefer an insignia on the helmet rather than text. I even like the idea of interlocked letters better. And I think most of us can agree that will happen eventually, but for now, maybe this is just a transition to bring in the Dodge era. So The fact that its changing from Green to White in my mind isnt a huge deal. I'd rather they simply change the helmet ONLY the color for now, rather than once again, in haste, pick another poor design to put on the helmet. Maybe for now, Dodge prefers the white helmet to make him more comfortable when visually looking at the field. Maybe a final design will be unveiled for the first new season in a new stadium.....in 2035.

Per the Startlegram this morning:

UNT soon is expected to unveil new uniforms with a lighter shade of green that resembles Southlake Carroll. Coaches' ball caps for both teams are already identical except for the team logo.

I spoke with TD and coach George after the game and couldn't help but notice their baseball-style coaching hats. Absolutely, without a doubt, the sharpest looking hats I have seen in quite a while. They were mesh, like the ones we did a few years ago. But the top was the CORRECT KELLY GREEN, as it should be, and the bill was black. The logo was the current athletic font stacked "NORTH TEXAS" in a puffy stitch. I must have one of those. The color is exactly what Silver and I had looked for several years ago when we were ordering our hats. It's similar to what we had, but a much more deeper, brighter shade of "Emerald" Kelly green. I'm pretty excited about this change and am looking forward to seeing the new uni's if they are going to match this color because it will be the first time in close to 15 years we will be back to the original, correct Mean Green on the football field.

Rick

Per the Startlegram this morning:

I spoke with TD and coach George after the game and couldn't help but notice their baseball-style coaching hats. Absolutely, without a doubt, the sharpest looking hats I have seen in quite a while. They were mesh, like the ones we did a few years ago. But the top was the CORRECT KELLY GREEN, as it should be, and the bill was black. The logo was the current athletic font stacked "NORTH TEXAS" in a puffy stitch. I must have one of those. The color is exactly what Silver and I had looked for several years ago when we were ordering our hats. It's similar to what we had, but a much more deeper, brighter shade of "Emerald" Kelly green. I'm pretty excited about this change and am looking forward to seeing the new uni's if they are going to match this color because it will be the first time in close to 15 years we will be back to the original, correct Mean Green on the football field.

Rick

Did anyone go by Voertmans yesterday? I might be wrong, I was there, and I want to say they're selling this hat. My memory is fading, but I know it was mesh, it had a black bill (mesh also), I'm pretty certain the color was right. I just cant recall the exact detail on the Font. Anyone?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Voertman's is selling those hats. If it's not those, then they're very similar (different logo). I've considered picking one up, since it's time for me to get a new everyday NT hat.

It is about time for a new hat...your current one's definitely survived its share of football games and bonfire-buildings :D

Here's a photo of a couple of them.

VEN_0006.jpg

Rick

You'll notice also in the bottom of that photo is the top framework of one of the four new sideline bench cooling machines, also in the new Kelly Green! I like the color.

Edited by NT80

Maybe you guys like the Kelly Green, but I can't stand it. The manager at the North Texas Book and Supply told me just the other day, that 75% of the people that come in to buy new shirts are asking for the darker green. The most I care to resemble Southlake Carroll is in wins and passing more, I don't however care to look like their uniforms.

Just me though.

Maybe you guys like the Kelly Green, but I can't stand it. The manager at the North Texas Book and Supply told me just the other day, that 75% of the people that come in to buy new shirts are asking for the darker green. The most I care to resemble Southlake Carroll is in wins and passing more, I don't however care to look like their uniforms.

Just me though.

I don't care what in the hell it looks like..as long as it looks good on Bourbon Street.

Just me though.

It's possible that what is being called Kelly Green, is not the true, correct Kelly Green.

I spoke with the purchasing manager of the NT Bookstore last year and they have had a hell of a time trying to get their suppliers obtain products from the textile industry in the correct color of North Texas Kelly Green, or Mean Green as I like to call it. Russell Athletic and two other suppliers told them last year they couldn't get anything other than the Toothepaste green and for whatever reason the university went ahead and ordered stuff in that color. What do I mean by Toothpaste green? Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

See the two guys with the lighter shade of green shirts in this photo?

VEN_0134.jpg

From the NT bookstore's website:

TTEN5-Q444.jpg

That's Toothpaste green and the NT bookstore had a lot of that last year. I don't doubt for one minute that the NT bookstore's customers were looking for the hunter green as opposed to this. I too would take Hunter over the toothpaste anyday. Also, in the spirit of trying to promote the new color change the university gave out game shirts to students last fall to wear to the games, and that was ok because at least they had lots of folks wearing green but the university wasn't given much of an option over shade? The problem was, it wasn't the correct shade of Kelly Mean Green but rather toothpaste instead. In fact, suppliers are still having problems today. The "Sink Navy" shirt that the NT Exes just produced is a perfect example of this as it too is Toothpaste, or a partial Toothpaste green as well. It's more closer to the next shirt below than the one above, still it's not the correct Mean Green. More than likely the Exes' supplier told them, as I was told countless times as well, "Sure, we can do that in Kelly", when in fact the supplier's textile company's idea of Kelly, isn't ours. I don't care for the shade of green it came out in but I bought one anyways yesterday to support my alumni association and the rest of you need to as well.

Since last year the bookstore, Voertmans and MGSports.com as well started to get this color in trying to counter the Toothpaste green. From all three websites:

13179274t.jpg

13241575t.jpg

70730XO-1340-1C.jpg

6-33-NT13R5B.jpg

That shade is at least brighter than the Hunter and is sort of wild and shows up well when accented by black, but it has too much yellow in it and isn't the correct shade either.

The only thing I can find at all online to link to in order to show y'all what I mean by correct Kelly Mean Green is this hat below, and I'm not even 100% sure it's correct because the photo is a bit dark. This shade shows up well and as you can see by the photos of the coaches hats, it looks really really sharp when accented by black. Marshall University has done this for several years by accenting their Kelly with black and white.

6-38-NT1339.jpg

I fully understand why we are getting away from the hunter. It doesn't show up well in photos and advertisements, and it looks near black when our athletic teams sweat in it. The Hunter Green Sunbelt shirts Silver and I made four years back are hot as hell on a warm, sunny day as are most dark colors. Mostly though, it's not the original shade of green this university has a long history with and I'm glad we are finally getting it corrected.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It's possible that what is being called Kelly Green, is not the true, correct Kelly Green.

I spoke with the purchasing manager of the NT Bookstore last year and they have had a hell of a time trying to get their suppliers obtain products from the textile industry in the correct color of North Texas Kelly Green, or Mean Green as I like to call it. Russell Athletic and two other suppliers told them last year they couldn't get anything other than the Toothepaste green and for whatever reason the university went ahead and ordered stuff in that color. What do I mean by Toothpaste green? Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

See the two guys with the lighter shade of green shirts in this photo?

VEN_0134.jpg

From the NT bookstore's website:

TTEN5-Q444.jpg

That's Toothpaste green and the NT bookstore had a lot of that last year. I don't doubt for one minute that the NT bookstore's customers were looking for the hunter green as opposed to this. I too would take Hunter over the toothpaste anyday. Also, in the spirit of trying to promote the new color change the university gave out game shirts to students last fall to wear to the games, and that was ok because at least they had lots of folks wearing green but the university wasn't given much of an option over shade? The problem was, it wasn't the correct shade of Kelly Mean Green but rather toothpaste instead. In fact, suppliers are still having problems today. The "Sink Navy" shirt that the NT Exes just produced is a perfect example of this as it too is Toothpaste, or a partial Toothpaste green as well. It's more closer to the next shirt below than the one above, still it's not the correct Mean Green. More than likely the Exes' supplier told them, as I was told countless times as well, "Sure, we can do that in Kelly", when in fact the supplier's textile company's idea of Kelly, isn't ours. I don't care for the shade of green it came out in but I bought one anyways yesterday to support my alumni association and the rest of you need to as well.

Since last year the bookstore, Voertmans and MGSports.com as well started to get this color in trying to counter the Toothpaste green. From all three websites:

13179274t.jpg

13241575t.jpg

70730XO-1340-1C.jpg

6-33-NT13R5B.jpg

That shade is at least brighter than the Hunter and is sort of wild and shows up well when accented by black, but it has too much yellow in it and isn't the correct shade either.

The only thing I can find at all online to link to in order to show y'all what I mean by correct Kelly Mean Green is this hat below, and I'm not even 100% sure it's correct because the photo is a bit dark. This shade shows up well and as you can see by the photos of the coaches hats, it looks really really sharp when accented by black. Marshall University has done this for several years by accenting their Kelly with black and white.

6-38-NT1339.jpg

I fully understand why we are getting away from the hunter. It doesn't show up well in photos and advertisements, and it looks near black when our athletic teams sweat in it. The Hunter Green Sunbelt shirts Silver and I made four years back are hot as hell on a warm, sunny day as are most dark colors. Mostly though, it's not the original shade of green this university has a long history with and I'm glad we are finally getting it corrected.

Rick

Rick - thanks for this post. I was understanding that the "kelly" green was the color that you are calling "toothpaste" green. That is what I have seen the most of. I love the Hunter green myself, but I can warm up to the Kelly green - but let's do us all a favor and KEEP it that way. None of these bigger schools change their shades of color all the time. Lets pick one, get it where everyone has the same color, and STICK WITH IT.

I completely agree '99. The university must refrain from changing, and I think the regime that is currently in charge has now realized the opportunities lost from the constant changes. As was posted two weeks ago about what Coach Dodge told the Spirit Committee, we have had 5 helmet changes since he last worked here 12 years ago and that was duly noted. Also, after talking with BOR members and URCM members, as well as after reading through the lengthy FOI that GoodKen acquired two years ago during logo-gate, I am fully convinced that this community has learned from it's mistake of so many changes and will stay true with it's committment to keep the current branding for the next 40 to 50 years. That doesn't mean we won't change uni's, but I don't think the changes will be as drastic as we have seen in the past.

For comparison I made up a photo of some of the different T's and NT Athletic Gear collected over the years.

greenshirtcomparison_500x279.jpg

This photo above is a sample of what I have already discussed above in other posts of this thread but it better shows the comparisons of the shades of green mentioned.

The first Mean Green T shirt is the correct Kelly and I purchased it last spring at Footlocker. The textile supplier is from over seas. As you can see it is nearly a spot on match to the uniform and helmet shown here that our football teams wore during the 80's. This is the correct Kelly Mean Green that Abner Haynes, Joe Greene, Steve Ramsey, Ronnie Shanklin, Scott Davis, Lance White and all the greats of those era's wore. Prior to the 70's football uniforms were made of heavy cotton or a cotton/wool blend compared to today's synthetics, and would fade after use so it is not uncommon to see photos, when color photos are available, of players during those era's in a slightly lighter shade due to fading. But from many photos I have seen the green on the helmets, which resist fading best, were constant.

The next shirt is the Exes "Sink Navy" shirt. It's not toothpaste, but rather the next darker shade to it. It has a bit of yellow that makes it brighter than the Kelly and as you can see is not even close to Mean Green Kelly.

Then the final one on the far right is the toothpaste that the university was forced to go with two years ago. This is the shirt similar to those given out on April of '05 during the Branding unveiling. This actual shirt was sent to me from Dr. Pohl's office as a gift for being one of the first 30 to order the new license plates. When I saw it I nearly fell over it's so ugly. As you can see, and I tried to show the true shade of these shirts by taking the photo outside, that this shirt has yellow in it, but it also a tint of blue in it as well. It's an absolutely horrible color in my oppinion and had I been in charge of promotions in '05 for the university, and when I opened the first box of the ordered shipment of free shirts saw how ugly they were I would have informed Lee Jackson and Dr. Pohl that there would be NO free hand out shirts for the event. All that free handing out did was cause false information by making people think this is the NEW COLOR as well as convince some supplier out there that "Hey, since North Texas bought this color I will more than likely do the same for other university customers when they too call in an order", thus compounding the problem.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Thank you Rick...the purpose in having a uniform color isn't just so its appealling on the field, but also so that its fans look "uniform" in supporting their school...at home and especially on the road. Having gone to the tourney game in New Orleans...what made our mediocre fan base even worse was the fact that there were 4 or 5 different shades of green in our crowd...as if our fans had just gone to walmart and grabbed random green shirts in support...and being an alum who missed out on the color change I take part of the blame in wearing my older shirt.

I like our new uniform "kelly green" (tshirt on the far left of ricks pic) and hate the lighter version "toothpaste?"(other 2 tshirts) but the University must be 100% firm on its belief that if it sanctions a product that it doesnt settle for a close representation of that color. We talk of trying to build tradtions and we can't produce a uniform color?

Thank you Rick...the purpose in having a uniform color isn't just so its appealling on the field, but also so that its fans look "uniform" in supporting their school...at home and especially on the road. Having gone to the tourney game in New Orleans...what made our mediocre fan base even worse was the fact that there were 4 or 5 different shades of green in our crowd...as if our fans had just gone to walmart and grabbed random green shirts in support...and being an alum who missed out on the color change I take part of the blame in wearing my older shirt.

I like our new uniform "kelly green" (tshirt on the far left of ricks pic) and hate the lighter version "toothpaste?"(other 2 tshirts) but the University must be 100% firm on its belief that if it sanctions a product that it doesnt settle for a close representation of that color. We talk of trying to build tradtions and we can't produce a uniform color?

Very good post.

Rick

FFR, do you guys still have any hats like these but in the script helmet logo left over from the GreenStock days? Mine disappeared and I'd like to have it as a "retro" hat.

they have this hat your looking for at vortmans...or they did a month ago when i bought mine

Someone do me (us) a favor in regard to this. I think someone in the past listed the actual pantone color for the Kelly Green. Below is the link to Pantones website. Could someone (that KNOWS the color) go this site, find it, and link it back as a reply to this? Guys, if you dont know this number, dont clog the system with guesses. Let's get the bona-fide color the first time.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx