The Finished Fountain (jody's Fountain)

bobelok

Took a few pictures Friday before the storms. Looks very nice.

fountains1.jpg

The waterfall.

fountains2.jpg

Original fountain, with a new circle of small followers. They also filled in this part, so it's not nearly as deep as before.

fountains3.jpg

THe 2 pools running towards the Admin. Building. Both also have small streams (on the right hand side in this picture). Close-up below.

fountains4.jpg

fountains5.jpg

Looking towards the big fountain. There is a plaque stating its origins.

fountains52.jpg

Aforementioned plaque. Notice the dedicated date: April 23, 2007.

fountains6.jpg

Lots and lots of benches.

You see that name on the plaque: Robert Onstead?

He's worth a ton of money. He founded the Randall's grocery store chain (and they eventually bought the Tom Thumb grocery stores). I guess that fountain is named after his sister-in-law.

Anyway, Robert Onstead is good friends with Drayton McLane (Astros owner).

Mr. Onstead has the money to probably build us 15 football stadiums (or at least he did at one time).

Beautiful fountains, btw.

Edited by Green Means Go!

He's worth a ton of money. He founded the Randall's grocery store chain (and they eventually bought the Tom Thumb grocery stores).

Tom Thumb is part of the Safeway chain now. Safeway bought Tom Thumb/Randall's in 1999. There is a mention of Robert Onstead on Tom Thumb Wiki page.

Edited by UNTFan23

Here's a few more pictures I have showing the waterfall in relation to the big fountain. The waterfall does face the street, and it's about 50 feet from the big fountain. In between there's some wood chips with swinging benches, and a giant brick-covered surface with 2 machines (water pumps?) underground. I saw them put these under during construction but have no idea what they are.

fountains8.jpg

View from the street, towards the Admin. Building.

fountains7.jpg

You can see the big fountain in the background.

fountains9.jpg

The machines during construction, now under the bricks. The square metal grates stick out, but it's otherwise flat.

I met my husband by the steps going up to the left of the waterfall. A monument to a wonderful 33 year marriage! We met in '71 and married in '74 after I graduated. I can never walk by there without pausing and remembering my days at NTSU. Thanks for the pictures.

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

You see that name on the plaque: Robert Onstead?

He's worth a ton of money. He founded the Randall's grocery store chain (and they eventually bought the Tom Thumb grocery stores). I guess that fountain is named after his sister-in-law.

Anyway, Robert Onstead is good friends with Drayton McLane (Astros owner).

Mr. Onstead has the money to probably build us 15 football stadiums (or at least he did at one time).

Beautiful fountains, btw.

Sadly, "Green Means Go", Mr. Onstead suddenly passed away 2-3 yrs ago while on vacation abroad. He was originally from Ennis, Texas (if memory serves me on that).

UNT alum Robert Randall Onstead came within a gnat's whisker of being the owner of the Houston Astros major league baseball club, but his good buddy Drayton McClane just barely outbid him for that honor. His son, ie, Robert Randall Onstead, Jr. is a Texas Tech graduate.:(

For those who still think we don't have wealthy alums, Mr. Onstead is yet even more proof which would continue to dispell that rumor started by (probably) some old timers up there or fund-raiser staffer types in decades's past who would have us all believe such fiction.:( Granted, we started out as a teacher's college in 1890, but many should not forget that while NT was putting out some of our state and nation's best teachers (and administrators), we also had a Business Department (which is now the UNT College of Business) that at the same time were putting out future entrepeneur$ and busine$$ leader$ for our state, nation and world. Robert Randall Onstead, Sr. was most definitely one of those.

Concerning the main theme of this thread: Very, very, very impressive thing UNT officials have done with the fountain and our entire library mall area; very gol' darned impressive matter of fact. I know we all applaud their efforts and thanks to the entire Onstead clan for their (apparent) huge contribution. Can't wait to see all this in person soon.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

and just wondering but why is it called the "mall" area?

Seriously not trying to be an ass; from dictionary.com, "a large area, usually lined with shade trees and shrubbery, used as a public walk or promenade." With the new trees and plant life, that definition is perfect. I searched the UNT site, but I didn't find anything other than in-house update info.

:)

Here's what I found on the UNT web site:

UNT alumna and former librarian Louise Evans contributed $130,000 for the project. Her donation, along with $50,000 left from funds donated for the Cartwright Plaza (the brick plaza with the North Texas mark at the north end of the mall), will cover the cost of the waterfall feature.
Link 1

They (the Board of Regents) also will consider naming the Library Mall fountain and central plaza “Jody’s Fountain” after Jo Ann Park Onstead, a 1944 graduate who was a distinguished elementary school teacher with a passion for art education.

Charles Onstead, a 1947 graduate, and his sister-in-law, Kay Onstead, will give $200,000 to the university for the renovations to the central area of the Library Mall.

Link 2