Spring Football Daily Outlook - Defensive Line

MeanGreen61

Spring Football Daily Outlook

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 04/11/2007

DENTON (4/11/07) - MeanGreenSports.com is previewing the 2007 North Texas football team with daily updates that will break down the team’s outlook by position. The updates will continue over the next nine days, leading up to the annual Green and White Game that will be played at Fouts Field on Sunday, April 23 at 3 p.m.

Defensive Line

After a year in the 3-4 defense, the Mean Green will make the transition back to the 4-3 in 2007. After losing only one starter, defensive tackle Sky Pruitt, the line will be anchored by its pair of defensive ends. Jeremiah Chapman returns for his senior season after earning all-conference honors in 2006. As the team leader in sacks and tackles for loss as a junior, Chapman will be a 2007 preseason awards candidate. At the other defensive end Blake Burruss saw the majority of the action last year and provided a firm compliment to Chapman. Burruss started nine of the 12 games and is expected to have a standout senior season. There will be competition for playing time from several players such as Tye Rexrode, Eddrick Gilmore, and Marquis Sykes. Gilmore redshirted in 2006 after playing in 11 games as a true freshman in 2005. Draylen Ross will also be an intriguing prospect after moving from tight end. On the interior of the line the Mean Green will have plenty of bodies to put to work. Issac Thomas, Montey Stevenson and Joseph Miller will all battle for the two starting tackle positions. All three played in every game last year and should benefit from playing in the new 4-3 scheme. Stevenson and Miller each had at least 30 tackles last year while Thomas showed signs of being dominant despite being slowed by injury. Sophomore Jonathan Stewart will also get a lot of playing time.

Top Returning Tacklers on Defensive Line

Jeremiah Chapman – 52

Montey Stevenson – 33

Joseph Miller – 30

Issac Thomas - 11

Defensive Coordinator Ron Mendoza on the Defensive Line

“We have been very impressed with the play of our front four during spring practice. We know that it all starts up front on defense and we like the energy and the way they all run to the ball. By going back to the 4-3 defense we are taking advantage of our depth and experience on the defensive line. There are five or six guys that have a lot of game experience and they are all familiar with this system. We believe that this group has a chance to be the strength of our defense.”

Here is a look at the schedule for the updates by position

Wed. April 11 – Defensive Line

Thur. April 12 – Linebackers

Fri. April 13 – Safeties

Sat. April 14 – Cornerbacks

Sun. April 15 – Special Teams

Mon. April 16 – Offensive Line

Tue. April 17 – Running Backs

Wed. April 18 – Wide Receivers

Thur. April 19 - Quarterbacks

Of course skill positions are last... they HAVE to keep us hang'n don't they? ;)

SKill positions are last! agh, such a tease! :lol:

Looks to me like the positions that require skill are right up front.

Defense is where momentum starts and ends. Each player must read the offense and adjust to the lineup and motion. The line stops the run. The Linebackers support the line in stopping the run AND support those pretty boys who can run fast behind them. Those pretty boys knock the hell out of anyone who makes it through.

O-line is the key to a passing or running game, these individuals must be able to read the defense and change blocking schemes based on the defense and for most blitz packages there are 2-3 different blocking schemes that can change after the ball has snapped, and they all must operate as one and have the same thought as each other.

Any small pretty boy can catch and run, hell only learning to run a pattern for each play with maybe one check off if a blitz is identified by........anyone........the Offensive Line most likely the center is easy.

I will give you the QB. That position sucks. Have to be smart, a quick thinker, tough (well as tough as any pretty boy can be), and you are always the hero or the goat.

Only skill required by the skilled players besides the QB is catch, run fast, and try not to get killed by the player with the real skill on the field.

Defense is where momentum starts and ends. Each player must read the offense and adjust to the lineup and motion. The line stops the run. The Linebackers support the line in stopping the run AND support those pretty boys who can run fast behind them. Those pretty boys knock the hell out of anyone who makes it through.

O-line is the key to a passing or running game, these individuals must be able to read the defense and change blocking schemes based on the defense and for most blitz packages there are 2-3 different blocking schemes that can change after the ball has snapped, and they all must operate as one and have the same thought as each other.

Any small pretty boy can catch and run, hell only learning to run a pattern for each play with maybe one check off if a blitz is identified by........anyone........the Offensive Line most likely the center is easy.

I will give you the QB. That position sucks. Have to be smart, a quick thinker, tough (well as tough as any pretty boy can be), and you are always the hero or the goat.

Only skill required by the skilled players besides the QB is catch, run fast, and try not to get killed by the player with the real skill on the field.

Speaking of the DL. North Texas signee, Jesse DeSoto placed first in his division's shot put at the Texas Relays last weekend with a 57 plus foot heave. Tells me his has good upper-body strength and coordination.

I look forward to Dodge's offense being installed and the excitement that will bring, but what I really would like to see is a return to the days of having a dominant defense. The team and the fans fed off of the plays Kennedy, Daniels, McIver, Spencer, Casey, Hurd, Buckles, Jones, etc... delivered on each down. Nothing like a big hit, sack or turnover to turn momentum around.

You're preachin' to the choir here; but it's just common football lingo that the RBs, WRs, and QBs are the skill positions.

Actually, not to be left out is the secondary. I think they traditionally fall in that label, too. Not sure about the LBs.

All positions - inluding the trenches - require study, practice, and on-the-fly decision making. In that sense, all require skill.

Spring Football Daily Outlook

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 04/11/2007

DENTON (4/11/07) - MeanGreenSports.com is previewing the 2007 North Texas football team with daily updates that will break down the team’s outlook by position. The updates will continue over the next nine days, leading up to the annual Green and White Game that will be played at Fouts Field on Sunday, April 23 at 3 p.m.

FYI: Game is SUNDAY, APRIL 22 not April 23; which is Monday. It is posted wrong on UNT sports site as well.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The schedule for these reports was posted 5 weeks ago.

Well, since you've killed 80's funny line, I'll add my comment. If the number of words gets results then we'd be opening the new stadium this fall. Jim Plummer, alone, would have taken care of that contingency.

Defensive line- No Depth-I am worried!

The strong point will be our DE's- very good starters and back up's.

My concern is the interior DL guys. I like Stevenson's move from DE to NT. He is a player!

I like Miller at DT. This will be his year! How long can these guys play in a game?

I do not see Thomas as a starter, but more of a back up at NT or DT.

After these 3 guy's- who is left? Stewart is a RFr, 6-2, 270lbs.

I can see our new DL recruit, Jesse Desoto, 6-2, 280lbs, getting alot playing time, and

maybe even Jordan Scoggins, 6-1,275lbs.

I will bet DL will be a recruiting target for 2008!

So, the burden of the defense will be on our DE's and LB's. If our interior DL can just

maintain there positions, we may be OK.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I will almost take issue with the writer that "we have a lot of bodies in the interior line" unless someone considers four to be a lot. That's only two deep in a 4-3.

Stevenson, moved over from DE, Miller and Isaac Thomas do have experience and should do okay. It's too early to tell for Stewart, who has no game experience. After that, there is nothing because Santiago was moved to offense and Ridge has apparently left the program. That could mean that our two recruits, DeSoto and Scoggins, could be in for playing time as true freshmen.

I agree with GrayEagleOne--"where are all the bodies"? Unless you count all the

DE's.

It is a long season, so, if one or two guy's get banged up, who will step in?

I can see both of our new recruits playing this year. I saw there were 2 walk ons for the

DL, but, I do not know anything about these 2.

I wonder if any of the DE's could fill in if we lose a guy, or, one of the OL backup's?

I will almost take issue with the writer that "we have a lot of bodies in the interior line" unless someone considers four to be a lot. That's only two deep in a 4-3.

Stevenson, moved over from DE, Miller and Isaac Thomas do have experience and should do okay. It's too early to tell for Stewart, who has no game experience. After that, there is nothing because Santiago was moved to offense and Ridge has apparently left the program. That could mean that our two recruits, DeSoto and Scoggins, could be in for playing time as true freshmen.

From what I understand they are supposed to be ready to contribute next year.