Gmg Bowl - Last Post Before The Game.

medpilot21

Hello GMG'ers, and welcome to the final installment of the Bowl game posts. The rules are listed here, and then no more posts until gameday, roughly three weeks away. The shirts are being done as we speak, so let's go over the rules for those who have not played before.

Gameday:

Everyone should be at the playing field no later than 30 minutes prior to kickoff. As it stands right now, the kickoff time is still 3:00 pm on the 28th. We are are still scheduled to play on the practice field where we played last year. It is not called the Andrew Smith Field yet, but it will be, so that is what we will call it. Shirts and game fees will be handled right there on site. Money for the raffle can be donated before or after the game. Winners will be drawn from a bowl by Harry. Also, keep in mind that Loro is selling pictures from the game. All proceeds from the "action shots" go to the scholarship fund.

Game rules:

1. Each team will field 9 players. (quaterback plus 8 recievers..everyone eligible) As the Flag field is smaller than a regular field, we are creating a lot of traffic with more than that out there at a time. We need to prevent injuries as much as we can. Rotations are at the discretion of the captains, but everyone must be in for at least ONE series per half. (captains are the exceptions...they may play or not as they see fit)

2. Each half will be 25 minutes with a ten minute half time, as it is every year.

3. Texas Stranger will ref again this year for us, and will meet with the captains at midfield prior to kickoff to verify rules and challenges.

4. The referee will keep the official time and verify rules are complied with. All rulings by the official are FINAL and are not open to debate. Any questions as to a call must be made by the team captain. All decisions by the refs are LAW, so dont waste game-time arguing.

5. There is a 3 second "rush" rule in effect. The count must be made out loud before any pass-rush is attempted. "Ringers" are not eligible for pass-rush, and must play in coverage. (I refer to this one as the "Blount" rule...hehe) Coach Archie will also fall under this rule for this year's game.

6. A female quaterback must play one series per half. During this series, the rush rule goes to "5 seconds". Again, the count must be out loud.

7. There is NO intentional contact in the game with exception to blocking. The officials will explain prior to kickoff what is acceptable as far as use of hands.

8. In the event a flag comes off while running; the receiver is still considerred "elligible", but is automatically down at the spot where the ball is caught.

These rules are basically the same as we have every year. I have tweaked one or two to make things more even and keep the game fun. Remember your game fees need to be paid on gameday before you get your shirt, so dont forget to bring your money with you.

Let's have some fun, but try to remember this game is more than just a football saturday. We remember a great kid who gave his all to get us a championship in

New Orleans.

We remember you, Andrew.....we remember.

GoMeanGreen!!!

hey med...

last year we palyed if the flag fell off before the catch u just had to touch him... like 1 hand touch or something

Fat guys like me have a problem with flags falling off... plus if they are down where they catch it what would keep someone from just pulling it early... See what I am saying? If someone is going to get burned on a long route all they have to do is pull the flag before the ball gets there to kill the play

Edited by UNT_92_Fan

TexasStranger can make a "game-time" decision regarding the flags being pulled off while running. Last year we had two arguments about that, so we decided (for this year's game) to go with the "automatic down" for the player who loses his or her flags. I will let TS make the call. Whatever he says during the rules meeting prior to kickoff will go. So, have Stebo bring up any rules questions.

Thinking about it now, I should have put the "Rick James" rule in for the team who has a member talk the most smack..(worth 7 points each SLAP). Then again, Emmitt would already be so far ahead in points that we might not even have to take the field to win????.......hehe

It's all good!

GMG!!! :D

It makes more sense to have a down-by-touching rule for a player that loses their flags inadvertently. That is how 7-on-7 is played (touch), and is consistent with most Flag rules.

Some other rules points:

There are only 3 things you can do with your hands: Throw , Catch and Grab Flags. Anything else is most likely illegal.

Offense:

OL Blocking - think of this as "screening". Keep arms in, and move feet to keep yourself between defender and QB. A good technique if you are playing OL in Flag is to grab your waistband or belt with one hand and grasp your wrist with the other. This will help you to not reach out and "hook" a rusher (excellent way to get a Holding call). You cannot "chuck" an opponent.

Charging - in Flag, is a foul similar to basketball. Since you can't be tackled or blown-up, neither can you run-over. If a defender is established, you must go a different direction.

On incomplete passes, the offense chases and retrieves the ball, even on 4th down.

25-second playclock in effect, starting at ready whistle. I will give a 10-second warning to the QB, if you don't get the play off, well, you DID get a warning.

Defense:

Pass rushers - Do not jump the count. Do not bull-rush a blocker. Do not swim-move a blocker. Do not knock the QB down. If you jump up to bat down a pass, and miss, and land on QB, ask Pierow how that works out. (hint: Automatic First Down)

Fumbles - live only while the ball is in the air. Once it hits the ground, it's dead with the team last in possession keeping possession (unless there's a turnover on downs). The spot will be where it was fumbled. You cannot strip the ball from an opponent (unsportsmanlike). Simultaneous possession of a pass between offensive and defensive player goes to the offense.

If trying to de-flag an opponent causes you to accidentally tackle them, you still tackled them.

You cannot hold-up an opponent in order to de-flag them with the other hand.

Miscellaneous:

If there's no applicable Flag rule, NCAA rules will apply.

Punting - Will not actually kick the ball. The offense simply announces "punt'" and the ball is moved 30 yards downfield and possession changes. If the walkoff goes into the end zone, it's a touchback. At no time will the ball be placed inside the 5-yard line on a punt, regardless of where the punting spot was. There are no actual kickoffs, either.

Unsportsmanlike acts include, but are not limited to:

- Tying the flag belt so it doesn't come off.

- Stripping the ball

- Trash-talk/verbal abuse that is not good-natured, or is the result of hot-headedness. Best thing is buddy-system, don't let your teammate do something everyone will regret. Coaches, if you see someone getting out of control, replace them for a few plays to let them cool off and regain perspective.

- Dropping trou.

While doing a Heisman pose after a generic, ordinary play is not unsportsmanlike, it is rather doofish. I reserve the the right to adjudicate as I see fit.

Unsportsmanlike acts include, but are not limited to:

- Tying the flag belt so it doesn't come off.

- Stripping the ball

- Trash-talk/verbal abuse that is not good-natured, or is the result of hot-headedness. Best thing is buddy-system, don't let your teammate do something everyone will regret. Coaches, if you see someone getting out of control, replace them for a few plays to let them cool off and regain perspective.

- Dropping trou.

While doing a Heisman pose after a generic, ordinary play is not unsportsmanlike, it is rather doofish. I reserve the the right to adjudicate as I see fit.

I tried getting Emmitt back to the huddle once last year while he was having a "heated debate".... I thought Coach Dickey was hillarious when he yelled "What's wrong Stevie?, where's the F'in Discipline?!!" DD sure loved dishing out to us what we gave him during his games.

Fun times, my friends...fun times!!!

GMG!!!

I tried getting Emmitt back to the huddle once last year while he was having a "heated debate".... I thought Coach Dickey was hillarious when he yelled "What's wrong Stevie?, where's the F'in Discipline?!!" DD sure loved dishing out to us what we gave him during his games.

Fun times, my friends...fun times!!!

GMG!!!

Think Dodge will get in on this someway?

Think Dodge will get in on this someway?

Nope, Coach Dodge will be out of town. We will have the players there though, and they were a lot of fun last year. I asked Blake Burruss for a half-time pep talk last year for the white team. Here is what we got... "You guys need to be faster, uh play smarter, and uh?, well, you're not good...sorry" We got a big-time laugh out of that one! ... It is really cool having those guys out there. Blake was a riot, as were some of the other players. If I had to chose between Coach Dodge or those players being out there, I'll take the players.

GMG!!!

Nope, Coach Dodge will be out of town. We will have the players there though, and they were a lot of fun last year. I asked Blake Burruss for a half-time pep talk last year for the white team. Here is what we got... "You guys need to be faster, uh play smarter, and uh?, well, you're not good...sorry" We got a big-time laugh out of that one! ... It is really cool having those guys out there. Blake was a riot, as were some of the other players. If I had to chose between Coach Dodge or those players being out there, I'll take the players.

GMG!!!

Thanks for the reply, but I was actually thinking long-term. I'm not surprised that he can't make the first one. Just wishfull thinking that he might make plans for it in the future. That would be cool.