That One Coach You Could Play For ?

Good poll.

I'm pretty biased being born in El Paso and going to grad school here at UTEP, but Don Haskins gets my vote. I missed his better years, but saw some pretty good performances during the last decade of his tenure. He always seemed to have health issues in my young memory. Having said that, there's a reason that some of the others on your list confide in him, and even some younger coaches today (Nebraskas Doc Sadler and now-Kentucky coach Gillespie) call him almost daily. A defensive genius, and great teacher.

Still...I'd be curious about some of the others and how they perceived the game and their players.

Edited by greenminer

Good poll.

I'm pretty biased being born in El Paso and going to grad school here at UTEP, but Don Haskins gets my vote. I missed his better years, but saw some pretty good performances during the last decade of his tenure. He always seemed to have health issues in my young memory. Having said that, there's a reason that some of the others on your list confide in him, and even some younger coaches today (Nebraskas Doc Sadler and now-Kentucky coach Gillespie) call him almost daily. A defensive genius, and great teacher.

Still...I'd be curious about some of the others and how they perceived the game and their players.

Good choice. I created this poll yet I cant come up with a vote. Haskins,Knight, and Buck O'Neil are my top 3.

I saw in Sports Illustrated that Nolan Richardson from El Paso was hired to coach the Mexico basketball team to try to get them qualified for the Olympics.

Too many coaches to choose from. Bear Bryant, Bobby Knight, Connie Mack (the only MLB baseball manager on the list), Vince Lombardi, and Knute Rockne.

Being a big basketball fan, Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar fan and John Wooden fan…I voted for the Wizard of Westwood.

Woody Hayes, Tommy Lasorda, Sparky Anderson, Casey Stengel, Joe Torre, Earl Weaver, Bobby Cox…just throwing out some additional (baseball except for Woody) names.

And lose with regularity, at least the last couple of years!!!

----Landry unfortunately had little say in who was drafted ( Tex Schram mostly) and the Cowboys drafted poorly in his final years. He had a winning record for 20 consecutive years and 23 years he was winning or went 7-9. The Cowboys weakness toward his end was too slow and too small since Washington and others had really beefed up in size. Slow resulted partially because of poor drafts and too many older players were still playing.

---The younger guys here don't remember John Wooden at UCLA but there was a similiarity in the two.. neither were yellers and remained calm and won with class. Both were very smart guys.... Landry had two engineering degrees.

• 2 weeks later...