Unt Traditions/spirit Committee (steps To Success)

I don't mean to solicit or advertise but...I have had a CLC license to produce UNT merchandise for 3 years. My brother and I have been selling in MG Village for the past 2 seasons and have had a tiny web site set up for the past 2 1/2 years. I have sold pretty well prior to football games but the web site has been almost non existent. Adverti$ing has been an issue. There are several problems; 1. The Bookstore and Voertman's can only purchase merchandise from a supplier that is licensed to produce UNT merchandise. Those suppliers DO NOT make special provisions for the color the University is using. Most of them sell for multiple Universities. UNT uses Pantone color 356, a very specific green but that has nothing to do with the color af clothing. They are at the mercy of suppliers so when ordering "kelly" there is no guessing what color will show up. 2. UNT does not sell enough merchandise for the retailer to require the manufacturers to produce a specific color or the quantity to commission the apperal to be produced for them. I would guess Michigan State, Marshall, ND all have retailers that produce logoed garments that are the correct color. 3. When the University changed the color I had just finished the second half of the football season so I had the "old" thread on hand. When I got the new thread color it is VERY difficult to pick out which is old and which is new so the branding color is very similar. 3. The University wanted lighter colored clothing and unis because it stands out more on TV etc. so they contracted with a company that would offer more "kelly green" which if you look at their web site, they don't. It has been very difficult to find the true Mean Green color but I have done it. With ALL of that said here is the bottom line...I am in the middle of a new web site(same address) that will offer far more of the correct color of Mean Green than is currently available, I will be selling in MG Village prior to football games and I am working on retail space for a more permenant spirit shop. Any one with questions please e-mail me and I will be happy to share my experiences with you. todd@shopmeangreen.com

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worn a green ball cap with the new eagle on it for almost a year now, in DFW and Houston, and not one person has ever asked me if I am a Philly fan.

I've been asked "so you're a philly fan, huh? " With the SOW green hat on by a stranger. It can and will happen. Because of this I've mostly stopped wearing the eagle hat and started wearing the "North Texas" wording hat instead.

This is what should be on the helmet if it's mandated to still have North Texas on it....combine it with the logo.

I think you're onto something, NT80.

And so our official color is Pantone color #356, ShopMean Green? Thanks for that info and I know we now all hope more retailers will get that same UNT official color info if they hadn't already; like when they should have--for instance, at least 1 year before we made public our new UNT brandings announcement so they could start ordering this new color for UNT gear? :rolleyes:

Any possible way the "son of flying worm" could have an "N" on the left and a "T" on the right? Is that design already in any of our new brandings? (I'm afraid having the words North Texas spelled out and the Eagle on our helmet would be much too busy and the letters would have to be so small it would defeat the purpose of having our schools full name on the helmet in the first place........just my .02 on that.

I think most would agree that we always need to emphasize "Mean Green" but we cannot do so at the expense of completely losing our schools official nickname, ie, NT Eagles. Using "Mean Green" officially as a 2'nd nickname was a post-Mean Joe Greene johnny come lately (so to speak) but a most welcome johnny come lately most of us would agree. I say that in context to how old our school is, of course, having opened its doors circa, 1890.

Many of us have always wanted an NT helmet to have a futuristic looking eagle on it (a la flying worm or similar) and then just leave it alone for the next 50 or years (just like UT has done with their helmet logo). UNT is sometimes its own worst enemy when we start turning all our graphic artists loose on and off our campus, although we know know many of that group to be most talented.

If UNT wants to start and then maintain new traditions (which a new NT tradition begins with every logo/color change) and all this when it comes to those new logos and brandings, just quit changing them every time we have an administrative or athletic admininistration change. Did DeLoss Dodds try to change UT's Longhorn helmet logo when he took over as the UT AD? Hell no, that Kansan was actually smart enough not to even think about doing such and still maintain his family jewels.

Anyone think those who leave Denton from our athletic dept will really care what our logos look like once they are off the NT payroll, albeit they were the very ones that influenced most of our logo/color changes most of the last quarter of a century up in Denton? How many helmets at UNT have lasted more than 10 years as it is? I think the flyin worm actually lasted 11 years until an "anti-Fry" athletic administration took over. They changed it immediately.

Funny how we as alums or NT Exes have to accept the creative whims, ie, new logos and yet another shade of green of way too many without NT ties and once they leave Denton we rarely see them again?

I don't look for there to be an eagle on our next NT helmet design, but I think it would be a good idea to put one on it that our campus design experts feel would pass the test of time and just leave the darn thing alone for a few decades and more. Again, isn't that the true beginnings of that kind of tradition we've been missing at our campus and beyond?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Any possible way the "son of flying worm" could have an "N" on the left and a "T" on the right? Is that design already in any of our new brandings? (I'm afraid having the words North Texas spelled out and the Eagle on our helmet would be much too busy and the letters would have to be so small it would defeat the purpose of having our schools full name on the helmet in the first place........just my .02 on that.

Sounds like we're coming close to going back to the Dennis Parker/Mitch Maher era helmet.

Sounds like we're coming close to going back to the Dennis Parker/Mitch Maher era helmet.

And how many NT logo & color changes ago would that have been, MG93-98? :lol:

For those of us with dimensia as well as those who have been astute followers of all our new (but lost) different helmets/shades of green traditions in Denton, just what was the NT helmet during the Parker/Maher era? :rolleyes::) What I do know most of us wish that we did have from that era was a (present) QB just like we had with the great Mitch Maher. Who know, maybe we already do with Todd Dodge's tutelage and development of such, eh?

NOTE: Whatever color green Notre Dame and Marshall are using now would be a most welcome (and most noticable by TV cameras spanning our crowd) green for the, uh, Mean Green, right?

If there were ever a school that really needs to have an impressived and very distinguished green on any of its unis', sports gear, caps, etc, etc, etc, wouldn't that school be the one that calls its sports teams.......................Mean Green?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And how many NT logo & color changes ago would that have been, MG93-98? :lol:

For those of us with dimensia as well as those who have been astute followers of all our new (but lost) different helmets/shades of green traditions in Denton, just what was the NT helmet during the Parker/Maher era? :rolleyes::)

I believe that would have been 4 helmet logo changes ago. The logo, as best as I recall, had a "son of worm"-ish looking eagle and in the center of it was NT in a circle. Maybe some kind soul out there could provide a picture?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I think the Hunter green color is far superior to any other green. The Pantone green looks like puke and so does the Kelly green. Hunter green is the way to go, it looks manly and stylish...which means people will buy more UNT clothes. Push for Hunter green. :D

hunter green is a great color, but it isnt gonna happen. The new colors are here to stay, for better or worse!

I personally like the new green a lot, especially when accented with black and white, but to each his own...

Edited by Eagle1855

Guest GrayEagleOne

I've been asked "so you're a philly fan, huh? " With the SOW green hat on by a stranger. It can and will happen. Because of this I've mostly stopped wearing the eagle hat and started wearing the "North Texas" wording hat instead.

Good grief, Stan. If those people are that retarded then we could probably put the University of North Texas with the eagle and they'd still think that we were Philly fans. The new Philly logo for caps has EAGLES with a curved underside and an eagle's head beneath. The helmets are the wings only (and have been for more than 50 years) so how can they confuse that? There was a time in the late 90s when our helmet (eagle head) did look like their logo but neither remotely resembles our SOW logo.

Why not spring bud?!

Absolutely love what we've done with our place. The variety is slap-dash, and we should try all the shades of green before we're done here.

Agree w/Grey: people who confuse a Phili fan with those that wear SOW are retarded.

This thread needs to go away. or die. or something.

Edited by greenminer

What color is the new green? And how long is this green going to be around?

"UNT uses Pantone color 356, a very specific green but that has nothing to do with the color af clothing. They are at the mercy of suppliers so when ordering "kelly" there is no guessing what color will show up..... The University wanted lighter colored clothing and unis because it stands out more on TV etc. so they contracted with a company that would offer more "kelly green"

Anyone that confuses this hat with the Philadelphia Eagles is a moron. Take the time to educate the moron about North Texas if they do ask, but don't let them dictate what you wear.

13140199l.jpg

I believe that would have been 4 helmet logo changes ago. The logo, as best as I recall, had a "son of worm"-ish looking eagle and in the center of it was NT in a circle. Maybe some kind soul out there could provide a picture?

Corky Nelson/Dennis Parker era helmet

The branding change was a big waste of time IMHO. If you look at the differences in the two sets of branding there is really very little difference. Yes the logos look different but there are still 2 different eagles, two different fonts etc. The color change was soooo slight that I will bet anyone that if both logos were sewn with both colors of thread you will not be able to tell the difference. The change in clothing colors comes from a University directive (if you will). There is really no legal restriction on clothing color however, it must be approved by the University. I will continue to sell more Kelly but will keep a line of Hunter, Black, Gray and Pink. UNT has been very good about approving all of those colors. The only very sticky part is the color of the logos. Part of the branding change time line had nothing to do with the University. They wanted to unveil it at a particular time, then it went to the CLC (Collegiate Lisencing Company, contracted to enforce the Universitiy's trademark) It took the CLC several months to get the information out. I had the new logo sewn and on the web before the CLC had it published. HOWEVER most of the companies that manufacture the spirit wear for UNT (that sell to The Bookstore and Voertman's) did not have the information from the CLC for a couple of months. Remember that the larger collegiate spirit wear companies also sell to retailers of a lot more universities and unless there is a huge demand the will slap a UNT Eagle on whatever they have they call Kelly, submit it to UNT as Kelly then sell it to the Denton retailers and when it hits the store it's AQUAMARINE or some other color. The Bookstoe and Voertman's sell what they can get. I have spent a lot of time looking for MEAN GREEN Kelly...the big companies won't do that until they can sell a huge quantity. Be patient the huge quantities will happen.

--North Texas has a rather unusual problem.... We are Green..... and there are lots of varieties of Green..

UT: Orange--- their is burnt orange and their is regular orange and not much else. They seem to use both somewhat or at least wear both of them. .

A&M: Maroon.... that is about it... they are no noticable variations, maybe just a bit darker but that it it... if it gets light then it appears pink or rose colored.

Tech: Red and Black. Red is pretty much red (no varieties except pink? or really dark it appears to be maroon) and black is black., there is no dark or light black.

TCU uses purple and there are several versions of it and they have used lighter shades at times.

Blue is a lot like green there are a lot of shades but most seem to stick with a fairly dark version or a very light version.

_________

---This type of discussion would not occur on most fan sights because their colors are often very restricted and don't have many versions of the same color. I think the uniforms should all be the same "tint" in every sport I think but what we fans wear is meaningless.. dark, bright, light whatever... it is still Green and "Green is Good"....

---Most schools change up basketball uniforms a lot and even football uniforms some. but I think we should get a good helmet design and stay with it. I would rather have a good interlocked NT over what we have used lately. NT is rather unique anyway since I can't think of another sizable college with those initials.

--North Texas has a rather unusual problem.... We are Green..... and there are lots of varieties of Green..

UT: Orange--- their is burnt orange and their is regular orange and not much else.

Ever see that crap Tennessee wears? That ain't burnt and it ain't regular.

The are suppliers to the spiritwear world that now produce UT Orange. UT is the #1 selling school for CLC merchandise. Companies want to cash in on that market. Red and Black, Navy Blue, Royal Blue, Maroon, Hunter Green are all very easy to find in a lot of different types of clothing. Red and Black and Navy probably the easiest. There is a huge variation in green and for that fact what people call Kelly. I think more mid green colors are showing up this year...which is good I simply order a piece and see what it looks like.