Practice Today

mad dog

Hey all. The Red Backpack and I will be headed out to watch practice today. If you have anything you'd like me to keep an eye on or look for, please email me at mccombsm@ci.colleyville.tx.us. I'll be leaving here at 5:00, so make sure you get it in by then.

Theres another thread that i started that details all of what happened at practice today..... the threa

I read it and was very grateful for your report, but I'm greedy for even more. I like find out what different people notice at the practices since it is impossible for any one person to focus on everything at once.

lol. sorry guys. AJR posted a lot of the best details.

The practice as a whole was much more structured. Not a whole lot of standing around unless it was a pass skel, scrimmage, or situation drill, and even then everyone on the sidelines looked ready to go.

Not a lot of wasted time during practice. All drills were relatively short in comparison to last year's.

I thought Brandon Jackson had a terrific day, in spite of tweaking something on his leg about halfway through practice. Maybe it was a knee. Whatever it was, he was right back out there a few plays later, and made a terrific catch running towards the side of the endzone in the two minute drill. He managed to hang on and get not one but TWO feet in bounds. He's something special, and I'm glad he'll have an opportunity to do something this year. I thought Fentriss ran terrific routes and showed good speed into and out of his cuts.

Jamario doesn't have quite the same burst he did as a freshman, but still has enough to run away from everyone on the defense. He does look a little bigger, though it is probably good weight.

You all will be glad to know that the screen pass to the halfback has been successfully installed into the playbook. It was so good to see pressure-reducing plays that that being present in the playbook, especially looking like we'll be starting two VERY green tackles. Also, the three step drop was the rule, and the ball was out quickly most always.

Quarterback play was hit and miss. There were times when I'd see Daniel laser the ball into his guy's numbers, and others where he'd overthrow the guy by 10 yards. Phillips was Phillips, great arm strength and pretty good accuracy, but not as good throwing on the run Woody didn't look like he played a lot. Tune didn't particularly stand out to me yesterday, either. I have a feeling a lot of this is just adjustment to the new system, but the guys on the roster all look like works in progress at this point.

Defense had a pretty good day. Lots of pressure, hands on the ball, and were usually in position to make plays. Of course, the Defense will typically hold the upper hand on an offense that is still learning and coming together. Seemed to be a lot more man to man coverage in the secondary than in past years. That's good because it can free up linebackers to blitz or safeties to play deep.

lol. sorry guys. AJR posted a lot of the best details.

The practice as a whole was much more structured. Not a whole lot of standing around unless it was a pass skel, scrimmage, or situation drill, and even then everyone on the sidelines looked ready to go.

Not a lot of wasted time during practice. All drills were relatively short in comparison to last year's.

I thought Brandon Jackson had a terrific day, in spite of tweaking something on his leg about halfway through practice. Maybe it was a knee. Whatever it was, he was right back out there a few plays later, and made a terrific catch running towards the side of the endzone in the two minute drill. He managed to hang on and get not one but TWO feet in bounds. He's something special, and I'm glad he'll have an opportunity to do something this year. I thought Fentriss ran terrific routes and showed good speed into and out of his cuts.

Jamario doesn't have quite the same burst he did as a freshman, but still has enough to run away from everyone on the defense. He does look a little bigger, though it is probably good weight.

You all will be glad to know that the screen pass to the halfback has been successfully installed into the playbook. It was so good to see pressure-reducing plays that that being present in the playbook, especially looking like we'll be starting two VERY green tackles. Also, the three step drop was the rule, and the ball was out quickly most always.

Quarterback play was hit and miss. There were times when I'd see Daniel laser the ball into his guy's numbers, and others where he'd overthrow the guy by 10 yards. Phillips was Phillips, great arm strength and pretty good accuracy, but not as good throwing on the run Woody didn't look like he played a lot. Tune didn't particularly stand out to me yesterday, either. I have a feeling a lot of this is just adjustment to the new system, but the guys on the roster all look like works in progress at this point.

Thanks, Illuvius. The more I hear the happier I am since I live too far away to attend any practices.

Defense had a pretty good day. Lots of pressure, hands on the ball, and were usually in position to make plays. Of course, the Defense will typically hold the upper hand on an offense that is still learning and coming together. Seemed to be a lot more man to man coverage in the secondary than in past years. That's good because it can free up linebackers to blitz or safeties to play deep.

I wish he'd find that burst again. That was a sight to see! Best of luck to him; hope this is a 1000 yard year for the starter.

Illuvius32-

I cannot go to any of the practices, so I wanted to say "Thanks" for your reports--

and "Thanks" to ETMG for his reports also!

I have a question for you-

You mentioned that NT may be starting 2 very green candidates at OT--

Who are the candidates for LT/RT, and is their a 2 deep rotation?

Thanks

Charlie NT73

Quarterback play was hit and miss.....the guys on the roster all look like works in progress at this point.

They all looked like that last year too. Each had his 15 minutes of fame then would lose it. No one on the roster seems to have all the tools nor the consistency yet to be THE guy. Dodge may have to pick one by default. I hate the thought of starting a true freshman QB, but we'll see how he compares in fall camp.....

Edited by NT80

They all looked like that last year too. Each had his 15 minutes of fame then would lose it. No one on the roster seems to have all the tools nor the consistency yet to be THE guy. Dodge may have to pick one by default. I hate the thought of starting a true freshman QB, but we'll see how he compares in fall camp.....

I think the difference is that it is only spring practice and they now have a coach that can teach them the position. I look for one or two to really start to improve considering they are learning an entirely new system, they are being taught how to play the position, this is only spring practice, they have 7 on 7 this summer to continue to develop and they have fall practices yet to go. I actually think we will be fine at QB, RB and WR. I also think the interior line, guards and center, will be fine. The OT's concern me.

Do we have any available ships left for JUCO lineman?

Illuvius32-

I cannot go to any of the practices, so I wanted to say "Thanks" for your reports--

and "Thanks" to ETMG for his reports also!

I have a question for you-

You mentioned that NT may be starting 2 very green candidates at OT--

Who are the candidates for LT/RT, and is their a 2 deep rotation?

Thanks

Charlie NT73

Sure thing. The guy they were counting on was Josh Alexander, because he would at least provide a known commodity at the position. However, he has had a HELL of a time staying healthy. Vito's column mentioned that he was rehabbing his injury, and then aggravated it again. He'll try to get ready for the season, but that is a VERY shaky proposition, and I'd be shocked if he played all 12 games next year. Then you are losing your starting left tackle, Jeremy Brown, who left the team earlier this year.

So, the guys that they are looking at are redshirt freshman Matt Menard (a defensive end in high school) and sophomore Robert Peachey. Peachey has some talent and a little experience, but is far from a finished product. Menard has long arms and a nice frame, but, again, needs to learn the position.