Anyone Remember Tom Nelson?

MeanGreengdub

Tom Nelson, who is now the Pastor at Denton Bible Church played football at NT back in the day. Anyone remember what kind of player he was and what position he played?? Just curious...

I believe he was a QB. Evidently he was a pretty talented baseball player as well...

http://www.dts.edu/about/profiles/Pastor_Tommy_Nelson

http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/archives/s01...ardswinners.htm

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1

According to the press guide, he only lettered one year.. 1971.

The Rev. Tommy Nelson ('73) of Denton, founding pastor of Denton Bible Church. Nelson received his bachelor of science degree in physical education and was a quarterback for the Eagles. The chaplain of the team from 1991 to 1993, Nelson was also a member of the 1990 search committee to find a new coach. He is a strong supporter of the UNT chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and ministers to UNT students through the college program at Denton Bible Church, which he founded in 1977. Since that time, the church has grown from 100 members to about 4,000 members. Nelson became well known in 1991 for his Song of Solomon seminars on relationships and marriage. He is also the author of The Big Picture and The Book of Romance and a national speaker for Campus Crusade for Christ and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

So we can partially blame him for hiring Dennis Parker instead of Paul Johnson.

• Upvote 1

I'm a member at Denton Bible and from time to time Tommy uses stories about his playing QB at North Texas in his sermons. He often says that under his leadership at QB they won 7 games in 4 years :)

He told the story a few weeks ago that after his junior year they were going to move him from QB to defensive back, only he tore up his knee and was forced to sit out what would have been his senior season. He was going to return to playing QB after he healed for his 5th year, but in the mean time Rod Rust had been fired and Hayden Fry was hired as the new Head Coach. When Tommy met with Fry before the season started Fry told him that they weren't going to be very good that year and were probably gonna lose a bunch of games. And if they were going to lose a lot, they weren't going to go through the losing with a 5th year senior at quarterback, they would rather do it with a sophomore at QB. So Nelson got cut.

I'm a member at Denton Bible and from time to time Tommy uses stories about his playing QB at North Texas in his sermons. He often says that under his leadership at QB they won 7 games in 4 years :)

He told the story a few weeks ago that after his junior year they were going to move him from QB to defensive back, only he tore up his knee and was forced to sit out what would have been his senior season. He was going to return to playing QB after he healed for his 5th year, but in the mean time Rod Rust had been fired and Hayden Fry was hired as the new Head Coach. When Tommy met with Fry before the season started Fry told him that they weren't going to be very good that year and were probably gonna lose a bunch of games. And if they were going to lose a lot, they weren't going to go through the losing with a 5th year senior at quarterback, they would rather do it with a sophomore at QB. So Nelson got cut.

And that was another great sermon. Tom uses examples of his playing days a lot. UNTLifer has it right - Mitch is at Fellowship in Jonesboro.

Hey Everybody,

I let Tom Nelson know that folks at gomeangreen.com were wondering about his days at UNT. He emailed this back and wanted me to post it.

"I started two games in 1969—one against Navarro Jr. College and one against the TCU freshman team. We lost them both.

I was injured my sophomore year with a broken wrist. My 'redshirt' sophomore year I started two games—one against New Mexico St. and one against the University of Akron. We lost them both.

We only won seven games in the four years that I was at UNT. My senior year I tore an ACL in my right knee and missed the whole year.

I did play baseball in high school and was offered a contract by the Cincinnati Reds. I told them I would not take it because I had signed with North Texas. Such loyalty served me well, because I became a Christian in my junior year and have been here ever since.

Tommy Nelson"

Take care,

Mitch

thanks for sharing, good stuff!

• Upvote 1

• 8 years later...

Hey Guys, get it Right! Even though Tommy is a Great Bible Teacher -- check this out as far as His founding of Denton Bible Church.

People new to Denton Bible Church often assume our roots go back to our beloved pastor, Tom Nelson. They don’t realize that assumption is similar to assuming that grocery store oranges originate in those cute little red mesh bags. Pastor Tom’s own roots do indeed lie deep in DBC, but the life of Pastor Emeritus Mel Sumrall and his philosophy of ministry provided the soil where DBC was engendered. Mel’s story shows how, in all seasons of life, God can accomplish His will through those who plant and through those who water, while He alone gives the increase. This history is dedicated, with gratitude and praise, to the Lord of the harvest, to Mel and Patty Sumrall, to Tom and Teresa Nelson, and to all the hard-working saints they have discipled and equipped for ministry.

Nuff said !!!

Ed Burrell

I went to the church during college...nights at the lyceum...followed through to the church...stopped going once I didn't go all in...seems like a cult following to me...but not a fan of huge churches that spend cash to get bigger and bigger...Stadium seating isn't needed for a church...

Nelsons stories were cool to here...but I left that church

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1