Who Was There In 1988?

bflan

I went to see North Texas in Salt Lake in 1988. We lost by 18, but I thought that was pretty good actually, considering we were playing North Carolina. JR Reid was their big stud. After the game, I did enjoy a few days of great skiing! Overall, a nice spring break.

I remember watching the game on an ESPN replay at 3am in the morning as I was getting ready to fly to Saudi Arabia. There were only a handful of uniformed Americans there at that time and I would have to shoot you if I told you what we did.

It was a good came and we done good.

I remember watching the game on an ESPN replay at 3am in the morning as I was getting ready to fly to Saudi Arabia. There were only a handful of uniformed Americans there at that time and I would have to shoot you if I told you what we did.

It was a good came and we done good.

Since we are on a message board, and you technically don't know who we are, you could tell us right?

I attended the tourney here at the super pit, but ended up having to watch it on tv since I was in school (I watched it live, so I must have skipped school to watch it).

FFR told me a great story about how and why he made it to see that game...

Share with the rest of the class, Rick!

ntvsulm88_461x345.jpg

The final shot on ESPN after NT beat ULM in the '88 SLC post season tourney for the rights to go Dancing. A near lower bowl sellout. The announcers had to yell the entire game to be heard. I can't imagine what it would be like if we actually sold the place out.

meinsaltlake_250x187.jpg

That's me at the Huntsman Center on the beautiful campus of The University of Utah in Salt Lake City. I have my face painted in green and white checker. You can't quite see him but Dr. Big Al Hurely and his wife was seated just down and to my right.

How did I get there?

During the post season SLC tourney American Airlines had a raffle contest to send 20 students free with whatever team won the tourney. You had to fill out your raffle ticket when you came into the door at the Super Pit, and you could fill out as many as you wanted. Well, I didn't have a ski trip the next week during spring break, and I knew everyone else in Talons did, or were headed to Padre etc, so each day of the three day tourney that I came into the door, I grabbed a handfull of tickets and walked on in. This was the year before I took over as Scrappy during the basketball games. So for each game when I sat down in the Talon section I simply handed out tickets and pencils to everyone sitting around me and asked if they minded filling one out for me. Then at halftime I went and stuffed the ballot box. We won of course and that next Sunday the AD's office called to ask if I had any plans, that if not I won a free trip to the NCAA tournament with the team. The whole time the person was chuckling on the other end of the phone and I asked what was so funny? He said, "you must have wanted to go pretty bad because you won about 6 or 7 times during the drawing".

So there you go. I wanted to go very bad and I'm glad I did. I just didn't think it would take us 19 years later to go again. It was much more difficult to go this time, but it will be worth it again.

See y'all in Nawlins!

Rick

Good story, Rick. Have fun this year. My thoughts are with you guys. I'll be stuck in a studio at work running sound for some white boys from Arkansas trying to play raegae. You read that sentence right. It's South by Southwest music time in Austin and there is no way I can escape work. Uggh!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OFF MEMPHIS!!!!!!!!!

ntvsulm88_461x345.jpg

The final shot on ESPN after NT beat ULM in the '88 SLC post season tourney for the rights to go Dancing. A near lower bowl sellout. The announcers had to yell the entire game to be heard. I can't imagine what it would be like if we actually sold the place out.

meinsaltlake_250x187.jpg

That's me at the Huntsman Center on the beautiful campus of The University of Utah in Salt Lake City. I have my face painted in green and white checker. You can't quite see him but Dr. Big Al Hurely and his wife was seated just down and to my right.

I don't understand why we have to have such a large media section in the pit. This may prove my ignorance... but, i don't see media desk in the center like that in any other arena. What gives? can we not at the very least shorten it a bit instead of taking practically that whole middle section?!

Edited by Travis