Stadium Sponsor

Cooley

I do a lot of work with Comerica Bank's investment reps in the DFW area. I was telling one of them yesterday that with their corporate headquarters moving to Dallas from Michigan, they ought to look into some advertising..........namely, building the North Texas football stadium. Someone ought to contact them about this.

Someone ought to contact them about this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I've worked in the DFW advertising and marketing industry for the last 15 years. During those 15 years I've been a part of the American Airlines Center name entitlement deal and I've worked with my clients to secure sponsorship agreements with UT, LSU, OkSU, Southern Miss, Carolina Panthers, several concert venues, etc. I've been pitched name entitlement proposals for what is now Pizza Hut Park, Smirnoff Music Center and advertising proposals for the Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans, NO Saints, KC Chiefs and Royals, Frisco Rouhgriders and Round Rock Express (I'm sure there are others I'm not recalling, but you get the idea). In addition, I've reviewed many, many college proposals that haven't been efficient, such as Texas A&M, OU, Arkansas, Memphis, Tulane, SMU and Tulsa. But not ONCE...in 15 years....have I EVER received a proposal for any level of a sponsorship from the University of North Texas or even the Mean Green Radio Network.

This is an interesting idea. Comerica's going to put its headquarters in downtown Dallas and will be receiving $3.5 million from a state incentive fund to pay for relocation. According to this story, the bank's growing fastest in Texas and three other states.

The biggest negative I see is that Comerica's bought the naming rights to the Detroit Tigers ballpark, so any name it chose for a stadium in DFW would cause confusion with the other investment. It also might call attention to the perception of disloyalty in Michigan -- how do Tigers fans feel now about that name?

This is an interesting idea. Comerica's going to put its headquarters in downtown Dallas and will be receiving $3.5 million from a state incentive fund to pay for relocation. According to this story, the bank's growing fastest in Texas and three other states.

The biggest negative I see is that Comerica's bought the naming rights to the Detroit Tigers ballpark, so any name it chose for a stadium in DFW would cause confusion with the other investment. It also might call attention to the perception of disloyalty in Michigan -- how do Tigers fans feel now about that name?

How would that be any different from American Airlines Center in Dallas and American Airlines Arena in Miami?

How would that be any different from American Airlines Center in Dallas and American Airlines Arena in Miami?

exactly. It would be Comerica Park, and Comerica Statdium. Tiger Fans wont care. Would any of you Ranger's fans be upset of some school in Michigan named their stadium Ameriquest Stadium?

is this even a possibility, or is this just wishful thinking?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I've worked in the DFW advertising and marketing industry for the last 15 years. During those 15 years I've been a part of the American Airlines Center name entitlement deal and I've worked with my clients to secure sponsorship agreements with UT, LSU, OkSU, Southern Miss, Carolina Panthers, several concert venues, etc. I've been pitched name entitlement proposals for what is now Pizza Hut Park, Smirnoff Music Center and advertising proposals for the Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans, NO Saints, KC Chiefs and Royals, Frisco Rouhgriders and Round Rock Express (I'm sure there are others I'm not recalling, but you get the idea). In addition, I've reviewed many, many college proposals that haven't been efficient, such as Texas A&M, OU, Arkansas, Memphis, Tulane, SMU and Tulsa. But not ONCE...in 15 years....have I EVER received a proposal for any level of a sponsorship from the University of North Texas or even the Mean Green Radio Network.

and your point, besides patting yourself on the back, is what? there are lots of things that are happening to this university that hasnt happened ever, whos to say it wont happen now?

and your point, besides patting yourself on the back, is what? there are lots of things that are happening to this university that hasnt happened ever, whos to say it wont happen now?

My point is (dumbass) that UNT is missing out hundreds of thousands of corporate dollars that are just there for the taking. If UNT isn't actively selling sponsorships then how in the hell can we expect anyone to sponsor anything?? Is that clear enough for you??

Chris Chris?

gangrene has a great point....unless something miraculous happens to the athletic program....i wouldnt be surprised if none of those corporate dollars came knocking to UNT....HOWEVER i think we need to make a push for some corporate sponsorship from various and several corps out that to raise some money and gain more publicity. Corporate dollars are definitely there for the takings....its just a matter of knowing how to whore up and going after it.

My point is (dumbass) that UNT is missing out hundreds of thousands of corporate dollars that are just there for the taking. If UNT isn't actively selling sponsorships then how in the hell can we expect anyone to sponsor anything?? Is that clear enough for you??

im sorry... i didnt mean to hurt your feelings. :cry: why didnt you just say that in the first place, buddy? there is a lot of momentum with TD coming on board and the basketball teams success. if we were to whore ourselves out to someone now would be the time. heres hoping!

I still think American Eagle Airlines is a natural. American Eagle Stadium is perfect.

American Eagle is owned by AMR...and is their bastard step-child. If AMR names a stadium...it will be another of the American Airlines series of arenas/stadiums. And there's a reason we call them the Sky nAAzi's.

Southwest Airlines, however, has been a completely untapped resource. We fit their mold. Underdog/bastard step-child making a turnaround and becoming extremely successful. And they'll sponsor just about anything football related.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Why not call the athletics development officer and offer your services, gangrene?

There have been pitches to some corporations and I believe a sizeable acceptance from at least one. If it were mine to prioritize, I'd first go to those corporations that UNT uses. Then, corporations wihere North Texas alumni play an important role. I'd follow that with corporations that have a significant presence in the area. Then when those sources were exhausted, I'd go to the general public.

I don't think that we have any kind of history with Comerica but if they want to extablish a larger presence in a new area, then it wouldn't hurt to call on them. We have been satisfied with the bank(s) that we use from what I understand. First State Bank has been a good partner and I believe that Point Bank may also be a part of the mix. I know that both advertise heavily with us. But, if Comerica is willing to part with enough coins for naming rights in exchange for the UNT account, then the others should understand.