Drc: Kevin Ealey Cb Recruit

BIG DAWG

From the article. Incredible, but seems that TD will have high school coaches around the state recruiting for the Mean Green. A fresh wind is blowin' thru Denton.

When Glen West first heard that his longtime friend Todd Dodge was taking over as North Texas' head coach late last year, his thoughts quickly turned to Kevin Ealey.

"I made the call to North Texas because I knew he would be a good fit there," Brenham's head coach said of his star cornerback. "Our defense is similar to what they are going to run. He is our best cover corner."

Ealey named the friendship between West and Dodge as one of the reasons he passed on scholarship offers from UTEP and Houston to play for UNT. Arizona also made a late push for Ealey.

"Coach Dodge is good friends with coach West," Ealey said. "That made me feel more comfortable. Coach Dodge really cares about his players."

"[uNT defensive backs coach Butch]LaCroix told me that he does not see me sitting on the bench my freshman year," Ealey said.

Now think about this one...where is this kid going to play in his "true freshman" year???

CB

*Bush (won award for best player in the secondary)

*Green (now becomes the elder statesman at the CB postion, by the way can play a little to)

Chatman (Could be the starter beside Bush)

Washington (really came on in first season at one position)

Gordon (freshman who was really raved about in the fall last year - Redshirted)

Safety

*Loren (Was starting when paperwork was finally passed through, then broke hand)

*Weathers (STUD)

Warren (Could start along side Weathers)

Cotton (jack of all trades)

Higgs (bleeds green it seems - fighter)

Why would we not redshirt this Ealey kid?

Is this something that is said, because he has a greater than zero shot at playing time this season if he comes an plays lights out, but anything less than lights out he gets redshirted? Something to attract him?

The secondary really looks promising - the only thing we miss is the big hitter (although Loren could be if healthy) but the athleticism and speed are there.

I was wondering the same thing Harry. Perhaps something to bring up Wednesday with the coaches in the Townhall meeting?

Now think about this one...where is this kid going to play in his "true freshman" year???

When a coach tells a recruit he's going to probably play, that means he's going to be given the right to fight for playing time. It only means that a legitimate shot at playing will be there. I've always felt that way about any incoming recruit. You given them a chance and if they take advantage of it then they play.

When a coach tells a recruit he's going to probably play, that means he's going to be given the right to fight for playing time. It only means that a legitimate shot at playing will be there. I've always felt that way about any incoming recruit. You given them a chance and if they take advantage of it then they play.

I agree. If a freshman recruit comes in and gets a starter benched it will make all the other starters work that much harder to keep their job. DD worked by seniority way too much.

The secondary really looks promising - the only thing we miss is the big hitter (although Loren could be if healthy) but the athleticism and speed are there. This is the deepest area of the team talentwise in my opinion.

And isn't it always (overall) excellent team speed that really separates the upper half of the BCS from the lower half? Of course, strategic talent in the skilled areas is always most important, too.

Good team speed will help us emulate the Boise State's of the NCAA world in due time. Can't wait for each and every one of us from each and every era to enjoy that upper stratusphere, too. This is going to be a fun ride and I'm glad I'm tall enough to get on it. :blink:

All is well on the northern front...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen