Interesting Post Regarding Dickey's Recruiting Classes

Harry

M3S,

Just going to throw my two cents in. Farmer and I are very close friends and we bounce a lot of ideas off of each other, but haven't really gotten too detailed on this topic.

Prized Recruits in the Dickey era were:

QB Andrew Smith (sadly passed away prior to 2004 season)

RB Patrick Cobbs (NFL; 2003 national rushing champion)

RB Jamario Thomas (returning; 2004 national rushing champion; SBC POY, SBC Offensive POY, SBC Newcomer of Year)

WR Johnny Quinn (school's all time leading WR, )

TE Andy Blount (out of football)

OL Andy Brewster (Out of football; 3 Time SBC 1st Tm All Conference)

OL Dylan Lineberry (Out of football; 3 time SBC 1st Tm All Conference

LB Cody Spencer (NFL)

LB Brad Kassell (NFL, former SBC Defensive POY))

DE Adrian Awasom (NFL)

DT Brandon Kennedy (CFL; former SBC POY)

DB Jonas Buckles (4 Time SBC 1st Tm All Conference)

DB Aaron Weathers (SBC Newcomer of Yr 2005)

*These were all over the course of 4 seasons*

If I recall correctly, Jamario Thomas, Jonas Buckles, and Brad Kassell were all State top 100's. I don't believe any of the others were. I do know that Patrick Cobbs was a steal for UNT out of Oklahoma.

http://www.5atexasfootball.com/forum/vB/sh...353&page=14

Sadly enough, these players accomplished these accolades without having any discipline in the program. They were not held accountable for their actions, and really did not expect to win. If these kids could have played for TD and his staff, they would have been even better.

This years class has a lot of players who are more highly regarded than any of the players listed above in this post. I don't think that them performing on the field will be a problem either. Those of you who know TD know that he and his staff will not recruit a student-athlete who they don't feel has a lot of heart and won't sell out for his teammates. He is going to instill a "don't know how to lose" attitude in addition to teaching these players how to be men.

In my opinion, the number one asset that TD and co. have is their network with the high school coaches in the state. This years class is better than any I can remember at UNT by far. __________________

"When is the last time someone asked how much an English classroom cost"?

Denton ISD Athletic Director Ken Purcell

on the cost of the multi-million dollar high school football facilities popping up around Texas

Anyone know who the quarterback is that they keep talking about on the 5ATEXASFOOTBALL board that's going to transfer here? I assume they mean he will transfer in the fall since he would already have to be enrolled for the spring and someone would have heard something about it if that were the case.

Guest GrayEagleOne

M3S,

Just going to throw my two cents in. Farmer and I are very close friends and we bounce a lot of ideas off of each other, but haven't really gotten too detailed on this topic.

Prized Recruits in the Dickey era were:

QB Andrew Smith (sadly passed away prior to 2004 season)

RB Patrick Cobbs (NFL; 2003 national rushing champion)

RB Jamario Thomas (returning; 2004 national rushing champion; SBC POY, SBC Offensive POY, SBC Newcomer of Year)

WR Johnny Quinn (school's all time leading WR, )

TE Andy Blount (out of football)

OL Andy Brewster (Out of football; 3 Time SBC 1st Tm All Conference)

OL Dylan Lineberry (Out of football; 3 time SBC 1st Tm All Conference

LB Cody Spencer (NFL)

LB Brad Kassell (NFL, former SBC Defensive POY))

DE Adrian Awasom (NFL)

DT Brandon Kennedy (CFL; former SBC POY)

DB Jonas Buckles (4 Time SBC 1st Tm All Conference)

DB Aaron Weathers (SBC Newcomer of Yr 2005)

*These were all over the course of 4 seasons*

If I recall correctly, Jamario Thomas, Jonas Buckles, and Brad Kassell were all State top 100's. I don't believe any of the others were. I do know that Patrick Cobbs was a steal for UNT out of Oklahoma.

http://www.5atexasfootball.com/forum/vB/sh...353&page=14

Sadly enough, these players accomplished these accolades without having any discipline in the program. They were not held accountable for their actions, and really did not expect to win. If these kids could have played for TD and his staff, they would have been even better.

This years class has a lot of players who are more highly regarded than any of the players listed above in this post. I don't think that them performing on the field will be a problem either. Those of you who know TD know that he and his staff will not recruit a student-athlete who they don't feel has a lot of heart and won't sell out for his teammates. He is going to instill a "don't know how to lose" attitude in addition to teaching these players how to be men.

In my opinion, the number one asset that TD and co. have is their network with the high school coaches in the state. This years class is better than any I can remember at UNT by far. __________________

"When is the last time someone asked how much an English classroom cost"?

Denton ISD Athletic Director Ken Purcell

on the cost of the multi-million dollar high school football facilities popping up around Texas

He is right on about everything but Brad Kassell. Brad was not a Texas Top 100 and furthermore, he was NOT recruited by Dickey. He was a Matt Simon signee. I believe that he was a quarterback in high school, at least his senior year, which may have accounted for his lower recruiting ranking.

--Seems to be a rather disconnected post...

---One of my personal phrases is: "Expect nothing and you will likely get nothing". TD will have high expectations of his team. That is also how I perceived Hayden Fry (fellow West-Texan)..... he always expected to win or at least be very competitive. I am not sure that has been the case lately. TD is accustomed to winning and will not accept losing very well. He has won regularly even when he was in HS.

---Recruiting: Every coach in Texas knows who he is and how well he has done and most kids that play HS football do also.

---Discipline... I can't answer about off the field but on the field things have been terrible. We have had players commit lot of unsportsmanlike penalties ( and other dumb penalities) and they were not even pulled off for even one play or apparently anything done about it. Most winning coaches get irate about "stupid" penalties and even sometimes about routine ones that hurt the teams effort. A few penalties sometimes make some sense, interference to stop an interception for example, but not what we have seen.

---HS stadiums may may gotten ridiculous but some make a lot of sense. Abilene's stadium is home to two high schools, three colleges and located on their fair grounds. San Angelo's is actually owned by their college and two HS use it regularly in addition. Midland's is owned by the city and shares the parking lot with the AA minor league baseball team and is used for several community events. Odessa... school owned and is an absolutely football crazy town and often full, 15-20,000. Odessa had to build it to replace an old smaller beat-up one that was located on community college land who needed their land for expansion of academic buildings. Brownwood's is independently owned and is home to a college team as well. All of these places rent them out to several area teams to use throughout the season and likely bring people into town which helps local merchants/restaurants..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66