Your 1st North Texas Football Game ?

NT03

09-02-99 vs. UNLV , lost 03-26

I believe this was a Thursday night game. It was John Robinson's debut coming back to college coaching from previously being with the Rams. I had just moved to Denton and one of my new roomates was friends with then QB Jason Attaway(?) We went over to his house after the game and watched highlights of the game on ESPN. Well , highlights on UNLV picking off one his passes for a touchdown , anyways Ive been bleeding GREEN ever since and now more than ever.

Just curious one each person's first game.

I remember that game. I had season tickets that year, and it was my last year living in the Metroplex. As far as my first UNT game, I don't remember who they played - it may have been one of our old SLC foes, but it was probably before conference play began. We were coming off a 73-14 shellacking at the hands of the #1 Cornhuskers, and it was a night game in 1993. We had a pretty good turnout that night, and the crickets turned out in big numbers - they were in everyone's hair, etc. But I was sold, and didn't miss a single home game (including Texas Stadium games) for several years.

First game in person was October 30, 1971 vs. Drake. The first time I ever watched NT play was a televised game in Dec. 1970 vs. Tulsa.

My first time to watch a televised NT game was also against Tulsa sometime in the early 70's; I think it was at Fouts as I remember seeing Tulsa 4-wheelers with hurricane flags on them going around the track after a score. My first NT game in person was in 1975 at Texas Stadium against Houston. My friend's dad took us because his coworker's son was an OL on Houston....NT, coached by Hayden Fry, won 28-0 and I was hooked from then on.

I think my first ever football game was a game against Baylor (we lost). I think it was in 1997. I didn't fall in love until 2001 when all the magic began.

Really looking forward to the upcoming campaign. I need to mail off my season ticket renewal; I'm increasing my ticket count to 4 (from 3) and joining the Mean Green Club at the $500 level.

August 31, 2002 in Austin. I was a freshman here at NT and my long time HS GF was a freshman at UT. That was a good night as I spent most of my time heckling the UT fans about how much time Simms spent on his butt (from their own students section). Booger was amazing and I was sold from that night foreword. Scott Hall was injured early and the offense struggled under Smith but you could see his promise and the defense shut down Texas in the second half. Still the best NT game I have witnessed.

First game was Homecoming 1986 versus Arkansas State. I think ASU was ranked in the I-AA top 10 at that time and were favorites to win the conference. The first half was close, then we got blown out - something like 34-14.

There were about 14,000 people at the game. I remember being surprised that more people were not there. But, it was a good time and I started making most every home game.

First game of the 1993 season...I believe we played ACU. That season I worked for the Assistant AD in marketing. I LOVED that job because I had access to both the field and press box during the games. Plus, they would cater in bbq from Colter's (all you could eat! :) ) so I had two of my favorite things at the same time...NT football and bbq!!!

My dad was a football official in addition to his regular job. I went with him when he worked a game at Fouts Field in about 1955. My first game as a student came in the Fall of 1960. It was the year after the Sun Bowl team with Abner Haynes and friends. I believe we played Texas Western (now UTEP) and folks who had seen the team from the previous year were commenting on how it was not as good as the year before. As it turned out, they were sure right. We have had season tickets since 1972 - the last year of the Rod Rust era.

1989 or 1990. Steve Davis was quarterback and I think we played Northwestern State. Scored late to make it close, but Corky's boys couldn't pull it out. I remember getting to meet Bill Mercer before the game. Really cool stuff.

Steve Davis was quarterback. Scott Davis would be crushed.

1964--- My first -- West Texas State ( West Texas A&M) now. Don't remember much about it but we lost 13 -21 .

--- I remember several from the next year (1965) .... Tulsa and Louisville especially.... They were "pass" happy games and our best receiver was John Love.. both of the opposing QBs made the NFL. Our QB was Carlin.

--- My favorite was 1988 in Lubbock which we came from behind and won 29-24. It was my first in-person game since graduation (I live in West Texas) and my wife is a Tech grad. All my kids were there with me. It was a fun game with the amazing comeback.

It was in 1986 or 1987 against McNeese State in the old Southland. Scott Davis was the young QB. I think we lost. I remember that the McGuinty brothers were playing as well.

The most memorable game I ever saw was of course in Austin in 1988 when we beat Texas...we really did beat them. I will always think of that as a win, because they deserved to win. The blue-bloods at UT just could not have that! It was pure greatness. It was also great to be young...no kids...no worries...no mortgage and bills. That trip was one of the highlights of my college years. I shall never forget it! I became a true mean gree blood after that game.

It was in 1986 or 1987 against McNeese State in the old Southland. Scott Davis was the young QB. I think we lost. I remember that the McGuinty brothers were playing as well.

The most memorable game I ever saw was of course in Austin in 1988 when we beat Texas...we really did beat them. I will always think of that as a win, because they deserved to win. The blue-bloods at UT just could not have that! It was pure greatness. It was also great to be young...no kids...no worries...no mortgage and bills. That trip was one of the highlights of my college years. I shall never forget it! I became a true mean gree blood after that game.

Although that was not my first game, it was my most memorable. I remember watching Dale Hansen's report afterwards and he said "Texas may have won this game, but North Texas certainly did not lose it either". I was VERY hooked after that. I also remember that Scott Davis told Corky after losing that game, "coach, i promise you, we will NOT lose another game this season!" To be honest, they did, but it was so great to see the fire that team had in the late 80's. The fact that they were Division 1-AA, and had such confidence. Davis and Marcus Camper made a mockery of the UT defensive backs that game.

Our day is coming again gentlemen, bide your time....

"coach, i promise you, we will NOT lose another game this season!" To be honest, they did, but it was so great to see the fire that team had in the late 80's. The fact that they were Division 1-AA, and had such confidence.

Our day is coming again gentlemen, bide your time....

I surely hope so....TD has really made a believer out of me and I think he will make the players believe the same thing and have the same fire the teams from the late 80's had.

I don't have the records book with me to know the exact teams, but this much I know -- it would have been the first home game in 1960. Maybe somebody like West Texas or Hardin-Simmons or Abilene Christian etc.?

BTW, for Christmas my brother sent me a copy of the H-E-B "The Best of Texas High School Football" booklet, a great find for someone like me stuck in upstate NY, and it includes a nice story on one of my early heroes, Bobby Smith, "A Trailblazer to Remember." Even beyond that, it's a GREAT booklet, a must for any fan. Are H-E-Bs in the DFW area?

I was at my first game in 1983, I was looking over campus and a friend of the family took me to a game while I was still a Senior in High School. I don't remember who we played, I was only at half the game and I was overwhelmed by the Beautiful North Texas Women!!!

I saw NT beat the Frogs while I was in HS around 86-87.

As a student it was the UT game in 88.

After the game a bunch of us actually went onto the field and spit on their logo in the end zone...how nuts would that be today, i am still surprised we wern't shot, instead no one even said a word to us, must have been their guilt.

I don't have the records book with me to know the exact teams, but this much I know -- it would have been the first home game in 1960. Maybe somebody like West Texas or Hardin-Simmons or Abilene Christian etc.?

BTW, for Christmas my brother sent me a copy of the H-E-B "The Best of Texas High School Football" booklet, a great find for someone like me stuck in upstate NY, and it includes a nice story on one of my early heroes, Bobby Smith, "A Trailblazer to Remember." Even beyond that, it's a GREAT booklet, a must for any fan. Are H-E-Bs in the DFW area?

The first home game in 1960 was UTEP. It ended in a 16-16 tie.