We Got A Qb!

gangrene

UNT gets a QB

Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Missing from UNT's list of recruits has been something noticeable. That's a quarterback.

But new North Texas coach Todd Dodge may have that now, after San Antonio Alamo Heights quarterback Giovanni Vizza (6-foot-1, 195 pounds) committed to the Mean Green tonight.

Vizza was named the All-Texas Offensive Player of the Year on Dave Campbell's all-Texas team for 2006, and helped guide Alamo Heights to the Class 4A Division I state championship.

Vizza, who visited UNT on Jan.12, visited Nevada last weekend. North Texas currently has four quarterbacks, but if Vizza is able to master Dodge's no-huddle spread offense, he could be the Man from the beginning.

— Trae Thompson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UNT gets a QB

Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Missing from UNT's list of recruits has been something noticeable. That's a quarterback.

But new North Texas coach Todd Dodge may have that now, after San Antonio Alamo Heights quarterback Giovanni Vizza (6-foot-1, 195 pounds) committed to the Mean Green tonight.

Vizza was named the All-Texas Offensive Player of the Year on Dave Campbell's all-Texas team for 2006, and helped guide Alamo Heights to the Class 4A Division I state championship.

Vizza, who visited UNT on Jan.12, visited Nevada last weekend. North Texas currently has four quarterbacks, but if Vizza is able to master Dodge's no-huddle spread offense, he could be the Man from the beginning.

— Trae Thompson

Which publication is this?

Vito's blog reporting the same, but stating that he hasn't confirmed it with Vizza.

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

January 24, 2007

Vizza to UNT

We have yet to confirm it with the only source that matters, but it appears as if San Antonio Alamo Heights quarterback Giovanni Vizza could be about to back off his oral commitment to Nevada and commit to UNT.

A UNT source said late Wednesday night that Vizza has told the Mean Green's coaching staff that he is coming to Denton.

Vizza did not return messages seeking comment, but Sam Dibrell, Vizza's teammate and close friend, said that they would be coming to UNT together.

If it all plays out as it appears it will, UNT will have another huge piece in its recruiting class. Vizza is rated a two-star prospect by Rivals.com and would be the quarterback Todd Dodge is looking for in his first recruiting class.

Of course nothing is solid until Vizza goes on record as saying that he plans to play for UNT.

Keep checking the Denton Record-Chronicle Web site for recruiting updates. A story on defensive lineman Jordan Scoggins is on the way shortly.

Posted by Brett Vito at 10:50 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

I've gotta wonder what changed his mind. His reason for making his commitment to Nevada solid is that "the quarterback position is wide open." I wonder if he got the impression that the same is true in Denton. I would have to think it might.

That, or his body finally thawed out...allowing his mind to question why he'd want to spend four years in Reno. In all seriousness, it sounds like teammate, Sam Dibrell, might have convinced Vizza to join him at UNT.

I've gotta wonder what changed his mind. His reason for making his commitment to Nevada solid is that "the quarterback position is wide open." I wonder if he got the impression that the same is true in Denton. I would have to think it might.

Maybe all the standout WRs that TD has brought on board made him change his mind?? Or maybe he thought he had a edge over our current QBs since he never had to endure the likes of DD or RF??

Its probably a combination of a lot of things. I think they are TD, closer to home, the style of offense, the upside and I am sure he has heard or seen how bad our qb's have done the last couple of years so he's probably thinking this is his best shot at starting and starting early. Whether our current qb's can play or not thats a different story but thats what i'm thinking thats what he thought. I hope that makes sense.

Maybe he visited Nevada Reno. I spent a week at a seminar on the UN campus a few years ago and I was not very impressed. Their staduim is an erector set facility, and Reno itself, though not that far from Lake Tahoe, has little to offer other than gambling (Vegas it ain't). Not to mention that other than La Tech and NMSU, every other school in the WAC is more than 1000 miles away.

Beleive (if i read the Nevada board correctly about a week ago ;) ) that a QB there had changed his mind about leaving school. Not sure but seemed to be the one who would step into the #1 spot in '07.

Maybe he visited Nevada Reno. I spent a week at a seminar on the UN campus a few years ago and I was not very impressed. Their staduim is an erector set facility, and Reno itself, though not that far from Lake Tahoe, has little to offer other than gambling (Vegas it ain't). Not to mention that other than La Tech and NMSU, every other school in the WAC is more than 1000 miles away.

We are in no place to criticize another school's stadium.

I would trade stadiums with them.

The stands are closer to the field, the press box etc. is newer and nicer, and it would be easier to bulldoze than Fouts, but I certainly hope that when we build our new staduim we will do a lot better than that. It was not my intent to focus on the stadium in the above post. I simply think that our campus, our facilities other than Fouts, and our proximity to home make us much more attractive to recruits from Texas than a school in the WAC that is over 1000 miles away.

Boy do I disagree with this. Granted, I never went to school there, but I covered the Big West Conference tournament there and thought it was beautfiul. I thought the stadium was nice and with the mountains as a backdrop was amazing. Plus, you talk about their stadium, what about Fouts. I thought the campus was nice and yes it's no Vegas, but Reno is still a cool town. Plus you're like 45 minutes to Tahoe.

The stands are closer to the field, the press box etc. is newer and nicer, and it would be easier to bulldoze than Fouts, but I certainly hope that when we build our new staduim we will do a lot better than that. It was not my intent to focus on the stadium in the above post. I simply think that our campus, our facilities other than Fouts, and our proximity to home make us much more attractive to recruits from Texas than a school in the WAC that is over 1000 miles away.

Pretty cool interactive stadium seating chart for Nevada's Stadium ( but I agree, too much aluminum)....

http://imedia.unr.edu/mackay/index.html?DB_OEM_ID=10000

Have any of you seen the videos on Rivals of this guy? He's got a nice arm and can run the ball very well!

edit: Some interesting information can be found here on the Baylor forums, check it out. http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118077

I liked this quote: "Randy Rodgers, a former University of Texas coach who scouts high school players for more than 60 Division I-A colleges, rates Vizza as the state's No. 1 uncommitted quarterback." Of course, that says nothing about where he ranks among the committed quarterbacks, but Coach Dodge did not have much of a chance with them...this year.