Dodge's Collection Of All-state Players Grows

MeanGreen61

Dodge's collection of all-state players grows

New North Texas head coach Todd Dodge is quickly picking up all-state players for his first recruiting class. The latest to join the group was Colleyville Heritage wide receiver Evan Walker on Sunday.

Walker was a first-team selection on the Associated Press Class 5A All-State team. Three members of the team have committed to play for the Mean Green thus far in recruiting. UNT has picked up Walker's high school teammate and fellow all-state wide receiver Breece Johnson and Southlake Carroll linebacker Justin Padron. San Antonio Alamo Heights receiver Sam Dibrell was an honorable mention all-state pick in Class 4A.

The interesting aspect of all four players' backgrounds is none were not all that highly rated on a national level in terms of recruiting. Johnson, Padron and Walker only received offers from UNT. Dibrell was offered by New Mexico State and Texas State.

Their background raises an interesting point: What matters more, a recruit's high school production or the evaluation of talent scouts that base their ratings in large part on what colleges are interested in a player?

Chris Hurd, Johnny Quinn and Patrick Cobbs turned out to be a few of the best players the Mean Green has had in recent years, despite the fact they were not highly rated. Jamario Thomas lived up to expectations early in his career, but other more highly regarded players never panned out.

Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts on the blog. Is UNT headed in the right direction by taking on some highly productive players who did not receive offers from other programs or does it bother you that some are not all that highly rated because of their size and speed?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't overly excited about all this great recruiting news...it sure beats the hell out of the stealth recruiting tactics. But I do have to say I am still a little skeptical about the quality of the prospects we're getting.

The interesting aspect of all four players' backgrounds is none were not all that highly rated on a national level in terms of recruiting. Johnson, Padron and Walker only received offers from UNT. Dibrell was offered by New Mexico State and Texas State.

That sentence voices some of my same concerns. I have no doubt that TD can recognize and evaluate talent on a high school level and there's no doubt that our verbals had great HS careers, but I'm still not seeing a single DMN Area Top 100 recruit that's committed to UNT (yes Bradley Haynes and Jordan Scoggins have expressed interest). I know these lists are subjective, but am I to believe that every other D-1A school is blind to the players we've attracted? Don't they all have talent scouts that are paid to recruit the best HS talent too?

Their background raises an interesting point: What matters more, a recruit's high school production or the evaluation of talent scouts that base their ratings in large part on what colleges are interested in a player?

That question has already crossed my mind several times in the last week. Let's hope the correct answer is high school production.

Chris Hurd, Johnny Quinn and Patrick Cobbs turned out to be a few of the best players the Mean Green has had in recent years, despite the fact they were not highly rated. Jamario Thomas lived up to expectations early in his career, but other more highly regarded players never panned out.

Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts on the blog. Is UNT headed in the right direction by taking on some highly productive players who did not receive offers from other programs or does it bother you that some are not all that highly rated because of their size and speed?

Yes, I'm a little bothered but I'm not sure it's about our recruits not getting their proper respect.

Good blog Vito!

Remember this is TDs first recruiting class and he started late in the game when a lot of the top prospects are already committed. I feel like TD is grabbing the best out there that haven't committed and if you have noticed he has been bringing in a good number of players that have already committed somewhere to take a visit. If he can turn a few of those this could turn into a great recruiting class.

Lets give the new coaches time to unpack their boxes of office gear, gang. :thumbsup:

Most of us on this board give anyone a (more than) fair enough time to make it happen with their jobs at UNT; in fact, probably much more time than most get out here in the real (less paid in most cases) "civilian" world (if you will). I think most on this board and beyond are doing the same with Todd Dodge.

LEST WE ALREADY FORGOT? I couldn't find the post so I could re-post it here but remember the poster who posted how surprisingly few "Rivals blessed with many stars" recruits Boise State had 4 or 5 years ago who all just led the team that made the BCS Championship Series that beat an Oklahoma Sooner team (that would have been a Top 10 school probably playing for a NC had they not been screwed by the officials in Oregon)? :blink:

Proceed with your good recruiting class, Coach Dodge and Assistants! We Are Already Proud of All of You!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Remember this is TDs first recruiting class and he started late in the game when a lot of the top prospects are already committed. I feel like TD is grabbing the best out there that haven't committed and if you have noticed he has been bringing in a good number of players that have already committed somewhere to take a visit. If he can turn a few of those this could turn into a great recruiting class.

MGB makes a good point. I think TD is grabbing the best players available at this point. Even though these players may not be All-World physically, they are familiar with the system TD wants to run. This allows these players to make an instant impact which will definitely help this team compete. Of course, with winning comes better recruits. We have to start somewhere. Also, most of the area Top 100 & State Super Teamers have all been "courted" since the season started by other schools. NT, at this point, does not have the recognition or prestige to steal prospects. Dodge's name alone cannot overcome damage done over the past 2 seasons by the Dickster & the little respect the name Sun Belt garners.

I choose to look at it like this:

These players are systems guys that fit well into TD's offensive system & have the ability to play early & often in this sytem. A win win situation for NT.

B)

Edited by Got5onIt

---The Cowboys once excelled while drafting players not on other peoples lists, also the NFL is full of players not from BCS teams that when coming out of college those teams overlooked.

---Another issue is getting a few good ones to give those unsigned out there (which is all of them at the moment) what to expect and that we are just not taking the left-overs and plan on being competitive. TD is also likely considering those available that can fit into what he needs or whats..... what UT and TxTech wants can be very different depending on the style of defense or offense. I think he knows a good player when he sees one... he did not get to 79-1 by misjudging talent.

MGB makes a good point. I think TD is grabbing the best players available at this point. Even though these players may not be All-World physically, they are familiar with the system TD wants to run. This allows these players to make an instant impact which will definitely help this team compete. Of course, with winning comes better recruits. We have to start somewhere. Also, most of the area Top 100 & State Super Teamers have all been "courted" since the season started by other schools. NT, at this point, does not have the recognition or prestige to steal prospects. Dodge's name alone cannot overcome damage done over the past 2 seasons by the Dickster & the little respect the name Sun Belt garners.

I choose to look at it like this:

These players are systems guys that fit well into TD's offensive system & have the ability to play early & often in this sytem. A win win situation for NT.

B)

You've said it all, Got5onit. Also, we should keep in mind how TD's predeccessors had all but abandoned DFW high schools in the recruiting wars for whatever reasons that could have ever been.

BETTER YET: Todd Dodge has re-created interest from long lost fans of many years ago with a program that had (basically) turned sour (as well as one that had become a public relation's train wreck) and all the positive things the AD's hiring of TD and staff hath wrought (which may be turn out to be even bigger than this first recruiting class). I have my prozac moments of frustrations because of my personal belief that our alma mater has mucked up our athletic program for most of my adult life (and that still pisses me off quite frankly), but I cannot be more excited about MG football now and haven't felt so good about the future of it since SMU fired Fry and we hired him!

Considering his accomplishments, the popularity of his quarterback camp (and thus the faith other coaches put in him), and the level of talent he has sent to the college ranks, I trust the opinion of Todd Dodge on football players.

And until I am shown reason to feel differently, I trust Todd Dodge's opinion far more than I trust Rivals or any other so-called experts.

Don't fall into the trap of judging recruiting based on what you've heard, or read in a magazine, or on what some website says is good or bad. The same mistake is made every single year on the NFL and NBA draft, when the draftniks and the experts pass judgments that frequently turn out wrong.

Just think of it this way: Josh Howard was the 29th pick in the draft the year he came out. Think a few of those first 28 teams would like to re-think their choice now?

Keep in mind the saying (when your sometimes looking for something) –I don’t know exactly what “IT” is, but I’ll know “IT” when I see it. I think TD believes in his system and knows better than anyone (along with his OC and DC) what pieces will fit the puzzle.

As I've given it more thought, I'm not nearly as concerned as I was. While only 4 commitments strong, this class is already head and shoulders above anything Dickey would have brought in this year.

As some of you have already mentioned, I'm sure Dodge is pursuing those who have the best grasp of his system first, perhaps in an effort to reduce the learning curve we're sure to encounter. Maybe these receivers will have an immediate impact in the games or maybe they'll just be good examples (during practices) of what to do in Dodge's offense for the first year or two.

At any rate, I'm delighted to have each and every one of the recruits that have committed thus far. I just hope that some of these WRs can bulk up and play OL if needed! :lol:

Howdy ya'll

I don't usually say much 'cause I generally agree with the sensible posters, so....

Can we have a season without over-analyzing this coach. Let's let him show us the direction he's headed.

I trust TD.

Thank you

Howdy ya'll

I don't usually say much 'cause I generally agree with the sensible posters, so....

Can we have a season without over-analyzing this coach. Let's let him show us the direction he's headed.

I trust TD.

Thank you

I think you will still see plenty of analysis, but not so much over analysis. People won't stop being fans though - which includes having an opinion of just about everything.

I will say this - you will probably see much more agreement with the current staff than you did the previous one. With what people say of TD, it appears he is just one of those people that players and fans alike will support.

I think you will still see plenty of analysis, but not so much over analysis. People won't stop being fans though - which includes having an opinion of just about everything.

I will say this - you will probably see much more agreement with the current staff than you did the previous one. With what people say of TD, it appears he is just one of those people that players and fans alike will support.

I certainly hope fans such as myself stay with the team and that the fan base grows exponetially. I just hope the naysayers of the extreme type take a well deserved break. DD's welcome here was.... well you know.

As for support of TD, I live in Grapevine; Where i live doesn't make me an authority on TD, but, seeing how some folks have annointed him as the greatest, I certainly hope he can carry that type of enthusiasm to our esteemed University.

Thanks folks for entertaining and informative posts