If C-usa Opened A Spot Or Two

El Paso Eagle

12-5 does qualify...but getting there consistently would be nice. Some promotion to get people out to the games would be nice (I know, I haven't been there lately...but I have an excuse). And some sort of success in the conference tourney would help, too.

I think this year could be the beginning of all that you ask for, honestly. As for promotions and the like I can only hope that they will be forthcoming soon. I saw a pretty good student contingent at the last game and I think the team put on a good show for them. Now if we could just get some of our "fans" to make time on a Saturday to see the basketball team the same way they make time for the football team.

UNT might want to watch out for ASU. We are trying to get in CUSA too. We have 3 CUSA teams on our schedule for 2007. 2 of them are at home and 1 away. We played Memphis in football and basketball in 2006 and are playing them twice in baseball and at home in football in 2007. USM has been very friendly to us since the 2005 NO bowl game and is playing a home and home with us in football starting this year. We upgraded our stadium by adding new turf last year. By the end of 2007 we will have played 6 CUSA football games and 3 of them were home and home games.

Now ASU wants in CUSA, too? :lol:

This CUSA love-fest among SBC'ers is (almost) becoming too funny.

We have a history with SMU that says (because of that history) that the Hilltop crowd (not the ones from Kentucky) most likely would ever sponsor or support us with a vote for entry into CUSA. I would say "never" support us but they say never say never although with this subject I think it would be a safe bet.

We have NT alums who seem to have forgotten that history for whatever reason. (Of course, some of that group could have been "slept-walked" thru another year or 2 or 3 or 9 with DD Ball and would have said absolutely nothing about it to NT officials and for darn sure not on this board, too, while at the same time doing the "Roman mob" version of the Cotton-Eyed Joe and be hacked off with those others of us who thought 9 years with a 42 and 62 W/L was a bit much to accept. :huh:

Hey, folks, have some of you already forgotten all this "we beat them (CUSA) more times than they beat us this season" posts of the last few weeks? :rolleyes:

Some Reasons For UNT To Forget CUSA (and emmitt-01, this "IS" as close to gospel as I will ever get so get your next very clever, well crafted & thought-provoking post ready to respond if you have the time).

THE REASONS NOT TO GET YOUR UNDIES IN A WAD WITH ALL THIS CUSA BUSINESS:

1 UNT officials really don't seem to be interested. I mean come on now, does it ever make the MGR or Barber Shop Talk as a hot item? But who knows, maybe this is another one of those "stealth" things left behind by DD?

2 There are 4 schools from Texas in CUSA and "5" might be a Lone Star State crowd; and although UNT could command more DFW TV ratings with the Nielsen folks, SMU has pulled the wool over the Irving-based CUSA crowd and (apparently) told them that people flock to their TV's anytime the red and blue tee it up or when they invoke the name of "Doak Walker." :rolleyes:

3 SMU (although I'm sure they now simply adore us all) will never (whoops, I said "never") :bangin: vote for UNT to get in (even if we soon pull another Boise St/BCS Bowl thing); in fact, such a bowl appearance as that would put the nail in the coffin for our ever getting their vote. Does that make any sense? No, it doesn't, but SMU hasn't made much $ense with D1-A athletics probably since Hayden Fry left their school. They DO NOT want a rivalry with and they do not want to call UNT a rivalry, folks, so put that in all your pipes, light it up and enjoy the smoke.

Bloom Where Planted For Now? (But build the new stadium and then lets talk more on the above subject if we'd still be interested in that league)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

UNT might want to watch out for ASU. We are trying to get in CUSA too. We have 3 CUSA teams on our schedule for 2007. 2 of them are at home and 1 away. We played Memphis in football and basketball in 2006 and are playing them twice in baseball and at home in football in 2007. USM has been very friendly to us since the 2005 NO bowl game and is playing a home and home with us in football starting this year. We upgraded our stadium by adding new turf last year. By the end of 2007 we will have played 6 CUSA football games and 3 of them were home and home games.

Do you want a cookie?

Heck, by that reasoning, NT should be in the Big XII or SEC by now. :huh:

You might be suprised what SMU could do. They tend to have support from Tulsa and Rice.

If two or three spots opened up, I think UNT and La Tech are definitely on the short list.

Memphis would not be thrilled with Ark State. SMU would not be thrilled with UNT. Southern Mississippi would not be thrilled with Tech. There is no clear cut answer, but I think UNT and Tech are one and two on the list.

I don't think that Tulsa and Rice will be on the same side on any issue for years to come.

SMU is a bunch of punks. We need to play them(and beat them) every tear. I would happily drive to Ruston every two years. I would drive to Tulsa(albeit not happily) every two years. Memphis has good BBQ. Isn't UAB close to the ocean.

Be carefull what you wish for. SMU did finish strong last year. However I would like to play them every year.

---If it happens it happens, if not it doesn't..... the world will not end if we aren't invited to CUSA..... personally I don't think the PRESENT CUSA is all that much better than the Belt.... the one with Louisville et. al. was. We need to be more concerned about improving the Belt but we can't do it alone.... there are 7+ other members that need to improve and win more as well.

---The only reason I presently would like to be in CUSA is that we would have more close regional (especially Texas) opponents and likely get more fan and media attention. UTEP because of their CUSA membership is far more recognized in Texas now than when they were WAC members, especially when no other Texas schools were in WAC. I even think that having Texas State in the Belt would be helpful to us..... more Texas attention to our conference and a close in-state rival.

---We need to stop sounding like a bitter man that lost his girl-friend to another guy and go out and make the best of the situation... who knows, long-term this may be the better deal anyway. CUSA now contains a lot of very small colleges with poor attendance and places whose past may be a lot better than their future. ( SMU, Rice, etc.)

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

You might be suprised what SMU could do. They tend to have support from Tulsa and Rice.

If two or three spots opened up, I think UNT and La Tech are definitely on the short list.

Memphis would not be thrilled with Ark State. SMU would not be thrilled with UNT. Southern Mississippi would not be thrilled with Tech. There is no clear cut answer, but I think UNT and Tech are one and two on the list.

I have several So Miss friends and can speak with a high degree of certainty that they dont give 2 cents about Tech does or wants. If they are a good fit for CUSA then fine. There is no hatred or rivalry in anyway with them. Im not sure where that came from.

I have read a couple of comments about how the Belt out performed Cusa this year. Well that is one year. If we hang our hat on this year we are in trouble. Consistency is key... WE DONT HAVE IT.. We have a long way to go as a conference to get where CUSA is and where they are headed.

I have several So Miss friends and can speak with a high degree of certainty that they dont give 2 cents about Tech does or wants. If they are a good fit for CUSA then fine. There is no hatred or rivalry in anyway with them. Im not sure where that came from.

I have read a couple of comments about how the Belt out performed Cusa this year. Well that is one year. If we hang our hat on this year we are in trouble. Consistency is key... WE DONT HAVE IT.. We have a long way to go as a conference to get where CUSA is and where they are headed.

Most of the fans of Southern Miss do not care one way or the other. Richard Giannini, their current athletic director, was ULMs athletic director and dislikes our current AD greatly.

SMU is a bunch of punks. We need to play them(and beat them) every tear. I would happily drive to Ruston every two years. I would drive to Tulsa(albeit not happily) every two years. Memphis has good BBQ. Isn't UAB close to the ocean.

I lived in Memphis for 2 years, and they have no clue what good barbecue is--they think it's sacriligious to barbecue beef. And that runny, vinegary sauce. And they call Texas Bar-B-Q roast beef with gravy on it . . . I had to defend the virtues of Texas Bar-B-Q on an almost daily basis.

Birmingham is about 5 hours from Gulf Shores - Troy is probably a couple hours closer to the ocean.

I lived in Memphis for 2 years, and they have no clue what good barbecue is--they think it's sacriligious to barbecue beef. And that runny, vinegary sauce. And they call Texas Bar-B-Q roast beef with gravy on it . . . I had to defend the virtues of Texas Bar-B-Q on an almost daily basis.

Birmingham is about 5 hours from Gulf Shores - Troy is probably a couple hours closer to the ocean.

Yea, you're right. Just looked at the map. I was rambling on the BBQ(didn't say theirs was better). I guess SMU aint THAT bad. But Ruston aint a bad place and the drive to Tulsa does NOT excite me.

my mistake.