New Stadium

Mean'n'Green07

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're wrong.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/attend...GATTENDANCE.pdf

Edit: Rereading,I see you said first 2 games..........but you are still wrong. Mid 20's would be an OUTSTANDING goal next season and I would be thrilled with that.

Against SMU I think we had around 26k... MUTS around 23k I believe. If anyone has those exact numbers that would be greatly appreciated.

Zeke, I agree that the mid 20's would be outstanding next season. But back to the point I was making, despite being blown out by texas the first game, we still had a very good showing of fans that next week. And again a lot of people showed up against the MUTS despite a horrific OOC campaign. Does this mean we will have 25k show up agaisnt FAU? Not likely, but we proved we have a decent fan base as long as we don't suck it up horribley.

30k should happen within 5 years or else I think RV has failed his job. No way a 35k enrollment university should consistently avg. 15k per season. How do we do that? It includes winning games, playing more regionals teams, running an exciting offense that passes on third downs and building a stadium people aren't ashamed of.

Its now in my post. It was 25K and 16K.

But I only see 30 in a new stadium. As I have said before - We will never fill those horrible endzone seats consistently, no matter how good the game on the field is. They are just too bad of seats.

Edited by Zeke

Its now in my post. It was 25K and 16K.

But I only see 30 in a new stadium. As I have said before - We will never fill those horrible endzone seats consistently, no matter how good the game on the field is. They are just too bad of seats.

Are you talking about the total capacity of a new stadium? If so, I have to disagree with that. We could realistically keep a 32K or 40K stadium pretty full if the stadium is designed right, and we promote the games well.

I agree that our current endzone seats are absolutely horrible. The only reason anyone would sit there is that they have no other choice.

I think that it's much cheaper to build a 40K stadium now, than it is to add-on to a 28K or 32K stadium later.

interiorrender2border.jpg

wku%20rendering.jpg

Western KY is renovating (completely redoing?) their stadium in preparation for their move to DI in 2009..... Enlarging the SB and giving us another rival. ;)

Nice stadium and in our budget also... here is thier link

WKU Smith Stadium

Edited by GreenBlooded1

Not a big fan of the enclosed end zones, unless necessary. If you are trying to get the highest percentage of seats to be good seats, you build high along the sidelines.

I agree. The UCF design looks pretty good, but there's no reason to have the same number of rows in the endzone as along the sidelines. The endzone seats should stop where the aisle is. I definitely want us to have some seats in the endzone to keep things cozy, but they should be kept to a minimum.

Even though all of you make wonderful points I personally believe that we should have the mindset like "if you build it, they will come". I understand NT fans are not really the greatest college fans in the world but showing committment, winning, and tradition will cure all of that. Have you ever thought perhaps there is a reason why the fans do not fill the stadium? I heard from a lot of people that the university almost forgets its alums and there is no connection between the university and former students. Or how about the fact that they also may not come because its such a bad experience and facility is such 3rd rate that theres no point driving from DFW and waisting all that gas and time if they wont enjoy the game and have a good time. My best friend graduated from UT 5 years ago and in the graduation ceremony the speaker or president said that you will always bleed burnt orange and wherever you go we will always find you and know where you are. What does that tell you? They connect with their alumni and tradition has been built for so long that people want to give back to the school in some shape way or form. As far as the new stadium is concerned I think what UCF is doing is awesome....right now we dont see what benefit there is but like some of the previous posts said...it shows their conference and every other school their commitment to sports and the athletics program. Last I checked there was one point in the season where the Big East had 3 teams in the top 10 or 12. I dont care what conference that is but that surely does mean something. Jim Copeland said that he saw no benefit playing NT....well maybe he thought those things for a certain reason. We have to change our image, perception not only to our own students, faculty, alumni but to our peers and other universites. We should build for the future...build something in the range of 40K-50K people that will be expandable to 70K-100K. If you build it right now then when and if you ever expand in the future it wil be easier and hopefully a little bit more cost effective. I guarantee you that if we build this stadium the right way that the perception of NT athletics will forever change and it will be the bridge that puts us to an upper mid major conference and/or major bcs conference one of these days. Thats just what I think.

Edited by Green Mean

interiorrender2border.jpg

wku%20rendering.jpg

Western KY is renovating (completely redoing?) their stadium in preparation for their move to DI in 2009..... Enlarging the SB and giving us another rival. ;)

Nice stadium and in our budget also... here is thier link

WKU Smith Stadium

In our budget? You do understand that all they are "building" is the West Grandstand and stadium club/suites. The East stands were already there, only seating on one side of the field until their move to D1A, and they are painting/waterproofing that side.

I do like the design though for a smaller stadium.

Edited by UNTLifer

Just for kicks, this is the Architectural Firm that designed SMU's stadium. You can click on the links to see other projects they've done, nice stuff. Yeah, I know, it's SMU. I hate the school, but that is a nice venue.

http://www.ellerbebecket.com/dynamic/portf...s.cfm?ptype=209

I'm not gonna say I hate SMU....some of the people of SMU may think very hi of themselves but oh well who gives a crud. That company that designed SMU's stadium has done some fabulous work. I hope we can rope in a firm like that in designing the NT football stadium.

Are you talking about the total capacity of a new stadium? If so, I have to disagree with that. We could realistically keep a 32K or 40K stadium pretty full if the stadium is designed right, and we promote the games well.

I agree that our current endzone seats are absolutely horrible. The only reason anyone would sit there is that they have no other choice.

I think that it's much cheaper to build a 40K stadium now, than it is to add-on to a 28K or 32K stadium later.

Just got home, so I haven't followed this thread since last night. But I was saying I only can see us averaging 30K people (or more) in a new stadium -- never Fouts. Total capacity I think should be 35-40K.

Edited by Zeke

I would prefer 40,000 seats as a goal (just sounds better). However, if done right, a smaller facility can still host some large programs:

From the Southern Miss site:

"The all-time home attendance mark was set for the second-consecutive season in 2003, as a record 36,152 fans were in attendance for the Thursday night, nationally-televised contest against then No. 11-ranked Nebraska on Sept. 25, 2003. That mark surpassed the total 35,169 fans set against Jackson State in August of 2002.

With a seating capacity of 33,000, Roberts Stadium has housed games against some of the biggest programs in collegiate football, including California, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Florida State and Auburn." (also Illinois)

Edited by NT80

That would put them up against regional rivals: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, etc. It was just an example of what could happen, not a prediction.

Here's why I am rather doubtful of Nebraska leaving the Big 12. The Huskers have played Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Mizzou for a long, long time. Why leave all that history and tradition?

Big Eight Conference

Our budget appears to be $60 million. For reference, SMU's new stadium was $42 million and seats 32,000.

I would think we can totally topple SMU's facility...we have 18 million more to spend and the land being built on is not as expensive as where ford stadium is. Gosh I hope RV and company dont drop the ball on this...it would certainly be a shame.

Here's why I am rather doubtful of Nebraska leaving the Big 12. The Huskers have played Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Mizzou for a long, long time. Why leave all that history and tradition?

Big Eight Conference

True, but at the same time the Big 12 took away Nebraska's annual rivalry game with Oklahoma. Also there's more money to be made in the Big 10, and more prestige to be had. The main thing keeping them from having any chance right now is their academics.

Also while I know there'll never be another Tom Osborne, their program has steadily deteriorated since going from the Big 8 to the Big 12.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the new 45000 seat $60 million dollar stadium opening in South Florida this year. Which if I hear right they even got Texas to come help them open the new park right. The way I see it is there is no upper deck, it would look great from the road, fits into the budget and has room for additions.

stadium%20rengering.jpg

stadium%20rendering2.jpg

That is a terrible stadium. UCF is building it on the cheap and it shows. The stadium consists of a bunch of pre-fab aluminum bleachers assembled at site with a facade. There is no concourse or amnenites (Club Level seating and limited luxury boxes) Face it club level and boxes mean cash flow and they drive the bus on stadium design. Notice all of the concession stands, restrooms, are located OUTSIDE the stadium.

Sure it's a pretty computer generated picture, but the devil is in the details? Picture the endzone seats at Fouts, then expand them completely around the field. That's what UCF is paying for.

That is a terrible stadium. UCF is building it on the cheap and it shows. The stadium consists of a bunch of pre-fab aluminum bleachers assembled at site with a facade. There is no concourse or amnenites (Club Level seating and limited luxury boxes) Face it club level and boxes mean cash flow and they drive the bus on stadium design. Notice all of the concession stands, restrooms, are located OUTSIDE the stadium.

Sure it's a pretty computer generated picture, but the devil is in the details? Picture the endzone seats at Fouts, then expand them completely around the field. That's what UCF is paying for.

I personally think its a nice looking stadium....in the future if they ever wanna pretty it up they can always do that. I think for what they will be using for its a fabulous design (nice and simple) and definitely shows a commitment to the football program and athletics.

Are you interested in making any bets on which stadium will better fill it's function for higher attendance and revenue.

UCF has virtually no football history, similar student numbers and demographics to North Texas, and comperable competition for entertainment dollars.

If North Texas procedes with the POC desogn, let's bet a set dollar figure for each of the first 10 years after the stadiums are built. If North Texas has higher attendance for the year, I pay you that figure . If the University of Central Florida has the higher attendance, you pay me the same.

If you are confident in your convictions, then it shouldn't take you very long to reply.

All Im saying is its a CRAPTACULAR, cheap ass, way to build. I like the bowl, single level concept, but UCF is doing it on the cheap. You said you wanted to build it right, then let's build it right. Dont settle for an erector set, pre-fab piece of crap. Let's build something that fans actually WANT to go to. Build it with nice concourses, restrooms, fan amenities. Build the club level and luxery boxes that will fund the program. Make the stadium a profit center, not a cost center.

I like the bowl design, but thats about it.

Oh and as to which will fill it's function for higher revenue? With no club seating, zero to few luxery suites, UCF isn't gong to be a cash cow. Why do you think every new or renovated stadium includes these? Because that's where the money is. Look at Boise St. for example. They are doing a 30+ million upgrade to the stadium, but it's only going to add 2000 seats. The bulk of the money is going to suites and club seats....It's where the revenue is.

Edited by Baby Arm!

All Im saying is its a CRAPTACULAR, cheap ass, way to build. I like the bowl, single level concept, but UCF is doing it on the cheap. You said you wanted to build it right, then let's build it right. Dont settle for an erector set, pre-fab piece of crap. Let's build something that fans actually WANT to go to. Build it with nice concourses, restrooms, fan amenities. Build the club level and luxery boxes that will fund the program. Make the stadium a profit center, not a cost center.

I like the bowl design, but thats about it.

I agree. I had forgotten how bad it sucked to have all that aluminum reflecting a hot August summer back at you. Nothing worse than being slow roasted during a 3 hour game.