How Many Think It Is Time To Revisit The Idea Of The Wac?

the real grad88

Why dont you do some research about the school you listed above and see what their attendance has done since they jumped (yes jumped) conferences. I would be curious to know.

Marshall attendance in MAC '03 & '04 averaged 26,885 per game.

Marshall attendance in CUSA '05 & '06 averaged 26,237 per game.

What's your point? :blink:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you WAC lovers ... other then naming the obvious ... who was in a bowl, what bowl they were in and their opponent, and the result of the game?

Fact is, if you were true believers of the WAC, you should be able to rattle those answers off without a second thought. I mean, the WAC has such a better reputation than the SBC that even the casual fan should know the answer to these answers, right?

While it's impossible to prevent people from looking up the results, I had to looked it up cause I didn't know (nor cared).

I haven't read the whole thread, but the WAC isn't BCS. I doubt your average sports fan could rattle off the CUSA matchups either. If you can't see that the Sun Belt has a piss poor reputation, you haven't been watching TV. Even during the bowl season, they were showing all of the conferences records in bowls. All 10 of them. No mention of the Sun Belt, despite Troy beating Rice into the ground.

I haven't read the whole thread, but the WAC isn't BCS. I doubt your average sports fan could rattle off the CUSA matchups either. If you can't see that the Sun Belt has a piss poor reputation, you haven't been watching TV. Even during the bowl season, they were showing all of the conferences records in bowls. All 10 of them. No mention of the Sun Belt, despite Troy beating Rice into the ground.

I disagree if your really a big fan you should know your conference. Nevada lost to Miami, Hawaii killed Arizona State, San Jose beat New Mexico and of course Boise St slipped passed OU. As for the Sunbelt we do get less respect but we did get Troy in to beat Rice and the MUTS lost to Central Michigan but at least we got to teams in this year. The reason the WAC is more respected is because the occasionally win non-conference games and end up with 9 or 10 wins. We rarely get teams eligible for bowls.

Fans of the conference will know, that's not the point. UNTFan23 stated that even casual fans should know who played in what bowl games for the WAC, and that's simply not true. I'd honestly be surprised if most casual fans could list all of the Big 12 matchups.

Along those lines your right most casual fans wouldn't know who played anywhere except for their team and maybe the BCS bowls.

Even during the bowl season, they were showing all of the conferences records in bowls. All 10 of them. No mention of the Sun Belt, despite Troy beating Rice into the ground.

The main reason for this is that we do not have enough bowl teams to compete for the bowl trophy (whatever it is called). I believe that it requires 4 bowl games for your conference.

One more reason the WAC is a bad idea:

The WAC doesn't have even payouts. The new schools won't get the same money that the existing schools get for another season or two. So not only to you have the increase travel cost you don't get the increase payout to cover them the first 3-4 seasons.

When the current round of uneven payouts end, LA Tech will be shopping for a new conference.

When the new teams entered the WAC, they decided to waive thier payouts to help pay thier enterance fee. This is nothing new. The teams that left for CUSA waived thier payouts to help offset thier exit fees and they waived their payouts to offset thier CUSA enterance fees.

The estimated payout per schoo this year will increase by $600,000 because of Boise States appearance in the BCS.

Hopefully Nevada can continue thier winning BBall ways and penetrate deep into the tournament.

Edited by ltudchi72

As posted earlier, Tech's travel is up to $1,600,000 from $1,175,000 in the first year of the "New WAC" with NMSU being their closest conference member. Appears that doing away with the EWAC has added at least $425,000 annually to their travel cost.

This year included trips to Florida, Kansas, Nevada, Utah State, Idaho, and Fresno.

We have already decided that Marshall isnt anything. Now what about the attendance of the other schools that moved to the WAC?

I have agreed with EVERYTHING you have said so far dumpsalot but Marshall isn't anything? I think they are averaging 10K more in attendence per home game and I DONT THINK they have about 35k+ students (and growing), 100K+ alumni just in their area, and in an area with 6-7 million people in it like us. And you're saying Marshall isn't anything? I'm totally confused :unsure:

I disagree if your really a big fan you should know your conference. Nevada lost to Miami, Hawaii killed Arizona State, San Jose beat New Mexico and of course Boise St slipped passed OU. As for the Sunbelt we do get less respect but we did get Troy in to beat Rice and the MUTS lost to Central Michigan but at least we got to teams in this year. The reason the WAC is more respected is because the occasionally win non-conference games and end up with 9 or 10 wins. We rarely get teams eligible for bowls.

Phi Kap,

Let me better say what you were trying to say: Nevada lost by one pt to Miami and were up the whole game, Hawaii killed Arizona St, San jose beat NM, Boise up by 28 pts at one time (not to mention they were playing the BIG 12 champs). Sun-Suck we had 2 teams playing 2 other no name teams and only one SBC won and the other got killed....Yippy...fun to watch.

My point here is not that I am an avid WAC fan but I AM avidly against SBC.........so I'm not a pro WAC fan but fully against the idea of staying in the SBC. :angry:

I have agreed with EVERYTHING you have said so far dumpsalot but Marshall isn't anything? I think they are averaging 10K more in attendence per home game and I DONT THINK they have about 35k+ students (and growing), 100K+ alumni just in their area, and in an area with 6-7 million people in it like us. And you're saying Marshall isn't anything? I'm totally confused :unsure:

dumpsalot....doesnt that just sound funny

Yes marshall is averaging better than UNT by far...But I dont think that says as much about Marshall as it should about the changes UNT needs to make. After all they lost to SMU this year after we played them.

My idea is to hire a team...even volunteers....that are COOL, not dorks and try to put together some structure in our athletics. I would like a universal logo and color (forest green in my opinion). I would like cool shirts that people want to wear and hats. I think we need to get a committee of people together to decide (by asking the students) what eagle we should use and how we should design our new clothing line...Frankly, I dont wear UNT appearal (sp?) because it looks dorky, unless I'm at a game. I want shirts and hats that fans could wear to Austin and have the UT fans try to copy the design....I HAVE A DREAM

:clapping:

dumpsalot....doesnt that just sound funny

Yes marshall is averaging better than UNT by far...But I dont think that says as much about Marshall as it should about the changes UNT needs to make. After all they lost to SMU this year after we played them.

My idea is to hire a team...even volunteers....that are COOL, not dorks and try to put together some structure in our athletics. I would like a universal logo and color (forest green in my opinion). I would like cool shirts that people want to wear and hats. I think we need to get a committee of people together to decide (by asking the students) what eagle we should use and how we should design our new clothing line...Frankly, I dont wear UNT appearal (sp?) because it looks dorky, unless I'm at a game. I want shirts and hats that fans could wear to Austin and have the UT fans try to copy the design....I HAVE A DREAM

:clapping:

I guess they are kind of dorky but do you think maybe you think its dorky cuz we dont really see it worn often other than in school or denton area? I mean you see bevo and that longhorn EVERYWHERE and I think along with their winning tradition and the fact that they are the face of the state of texas that having that symbol and those colors and that name has BECOME cool. Maybe if the whole mean grean nation worldwide unite and wore a ton of mean grean gear throught the WHOLE year...well maybe then it will be cool and not look dorky. What do you think?

I guess they are kind of dorky but do you think maybe you think its dorky cuz we dont really see it worn often other than in school or denton area? I mean you see bevo and that longhorn EVERYWHERE and I think along with their winning tradition and the fact that they are the face of the state of texas that having that symbol and those colors and that name has BECOME cool. Maybe if the whole mean grean nation worldwide unite and wore a ton of mean grean gear throught the WHOLE year...well maybe then it will be cool and not look dorky. What do you think?

Def. have a point but I think the reason all of Denton doesnt sport the gear is because it's dorky. I would like to assemble a team to put together an actual eagle (tho it does look better now) and decide on a color that people really want to wear and would pay money for. As I mentioned earlier my GF is on the swim team. They get some pretty cool gear that steal from her.

I think the point is that the WAC (or any other 1A conference for that matter) would give NORTH TEXAS more access to OUR recruiting base.

This is the best point of this whole, worn-out thread (that I started). I am sure that it is a great chore to try to convince recruits to play in the Belt. They truly have received NO other offers from schools in other conferences if they come to North Texas. I don't want to just get the best recruits of the Belt, I want to get recruits that schools up the food chain are getting. To correct something that daddydumpsalot said, we did get a WAC invite a couple of years ago...we turned it down.

This is the best point of this whole, worn-out thread (that I started). I am sure that it is a great chore to try to convince recruits to play in the Belt. They truly have received NO other offers from schools in other conferences if they come to North Texas. I don't want to just get the best recruits of the Belt, I want to get recruits that schools up the food chain are getting. To correct something that daddydumpsalot said, we did get a WAC invite a couple of years ago...we turned it down.

see that is what I heard (actually heard CUSA)...why on earth would we have turned it down??

I heard it was because RV said we wouldnt get good recruiting....al contreer (sp?) I guarantee that we could get much better recruits that want to play for the WAC or even CUSA rather than SBC.

MEN It's time to move up