I Hope New Football Stadium = Superpit In Quality & Endurance

NT80

I was forced to go watch a SMUt basketball game last week (a relative performed at halftime). Moody Coliseum is celebrating(?) it's 50th year this season. Funny thing was they passed out a player poster with the insides of the AAC arena as the background (ha!). I graduated HS in that "gym" 30 years ago and it looked ancient back then, worse today. I have a new appreciation for UNT's SuperPit. Although almost 35 years old itself, the Pit still looks new and modern, a quality venue we can all be proud of. Even Okla State's arena with it's $50 million renovation can't match the SuperPit.

UNT has made many mistakes over the years in Athletics but the SuperPit is one thing they did right. I hope we have the same mentality in designing the new Football Stadium. Something that 35 years from now is still efficient, modern, and fan-friendly like the Pit.

Many have suggested a single-level stands facility. Most of these involve building high above ground, which could greatly increase concrete and construction costs, but so would a double-deck. I'd like to see samples of stadium ideas for consideration.

One is Arizona. Single level on the pressbox side, but double decked on the opposite side:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictu...na_stadium2.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Edited by NT80

I agree with everything you said except your example of Arizona's stadium. Blech! Talk about a dated design. Luxury boxes are the key for big donors and that design allows for none on the double decker side. We can do better than that.

It's hard to see but I believe they do have suites between those deck levels. I'm not crazy about that stadium either but thought it was a compromise between the two styles.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I just have this gut feeling we're not going to build a stadium over 32k to begin with.

I wouldnt worry about it. Anything less than 32,000 would only be a capacity to rival that of Fouts field now. Fouts needs tons of improvments, but I would seriously doubt that if UNT was going to build a new venue, they wouldnt do it to ONLY improve ammenities, and not capacity. Certainly the new stadium could be expanded, but when it comes to life cycle costs, it's more economical to build it bigger now, rather than later.

When building the new stadium what is the advantages/disadvantages of building a stadium that have bleachers vs. seats? I think that would be very very cool if we can build like a 35K-50K seat stadium. That would definitely attract a lot of pub nationally and probably be one of the best collegiate football stadiums in america. What do you guys think?

wash-grizstadium_288x191.jpg

As long as the MAJORITY of the seating is down low and tightly formed around the playing surface then I'm fine with it.

Rick

You mean that there may actually be a long term advantage to selling seats that people may actually want to sit in to watch a football game? Fans, media, and luxury boxes each where they belong. Oh, the novelty of the concept.

aerial.jpg

Or, we can build another stadium with seating that's so bad that attendance issues will continue to plague the program.

It's no big deal if we do, we can possibly replace it in another 60 years. Of course Division 1 will just be a distant memory by then, but a few people got to get excited at one time because it was NEW!

I really hope we dont build anything until we have the ability to build it right.

Good topic. I have to say for an old stadium, the TCU stadium is as good of a mid-size stadium as I have visited...and it has kept its appeal inspite of its age. The size is perfect. The sound really stays captured around the field. Some of my best "stadium experiences" have been at TCU.

tcu-Stadium-275.jpg

It is a nice stadium design, especially if you were to get rid of that useless upper deck. The sideline seating can be built higher and the whole stadium could be bowled for expansion. Then, if necessary, upper decks should be considered.

tcu-Stadium-275.jpg

It is a nice stadium design, especially if you were to get rid of that useless upper deck. The sideline seating can be built higher and the whole stadium could be bowled for expansion. Then, if necessary, upper decks should be considered.

Is there another stadium, other than the AC, that sits the fan closer to the field? I'm with 88, it's one of the best around to watch a football game.

Rick

Everyone can add their wishes to the list, but in development of a property/architecture, the very foundation of the stadium will unfold like this. You have to "back into" the design from the tract of land youre working with. UNT will decide how many seats they'd prefer to get installed. From there, that number will decide on parking lots and circulation outside the stadium , which, take up space. The remaining area youre left with will be the footprint of the stadium. IF it's too small for the desired number of seats, the next step is to start added upper decks. Ergo, if you can spread out, you go up. Traditionally, very old stadiums i.e. Rose Bowl, etc. were built back in the day when there was more land available for development, so it was always cheaper to build the facility as one tier and spread it out. To me its only a sugar coated marketing ploy when they say upper decks allow "more 50 yard line seats". Nosebleeds are nosebleeds. The players still look like ants. So personally, I'd love to see a single level facility, with better viewing for everyone. But, we all know the area that UNT is considering, and I dont have any idea exactly how large it is, or if any adjacent properties are for sale to help enlarge it. The one thing Im most anxious about a new stadium? NO FRIGGIN RUNNING TRACK AROUND THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!! GOD I HATE THAT THING! OLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLD SCHOOL.

Good topic. I have to say for an old stadium, the TCU stadium is as good of a mid-size stadium as I have visited...and it has kept its appeal inspite of its age. The size is perfect. The sound really stays captured around the field. Some of my best "stadium experiences" have been at TCU.

It's a great place to see a fb game. The lower sections are below ground level, so very close to the game. Upper sections are not too high, so the sound is really magnified. Plus the walk around the concourse is really cool visually. Kind of similar to Jones SBC in a lot of ways.