Gilmer Lb

EastTexasMG

Has anyone else heard this:

"Elsehwhere, Keller Fossil Ridge DL Chris Perry has switched his commitment from Miami to Nebraska, and UNT picked up Gilmer LB Dominique Buchanan, previously a Baylor commitment. "

Gilmer LB

First place I've seen this but both scout and rivals have hims as a 3 star seems like a great pick up to go with Padron.

WOW, hope we hold onto this one.

Article dated Jan 10, 2007...he has decommitted from Baylor, he is scheuled to visit NT but can't find anything saying he has verballed to NT. Cross you fingers on this one a 3*, position ranked #55

Buchanan would like to visit Michigan

Josh Helmholdt

TheWolverine.com

Related Links:

Buchanan junior year film

Talk about it in The Recruiting Scoop

Changes down at Baylor have led to an exodus of many of their verbally committed prospects in the class of 2007. Gilmer, Texas linebacker Dominique Buchanan made the decision to attend Baylor in August, but pulled back that commitment last month in part because others were doing the same. Now, he hopes recent contact from Michigan leads to a scholarship offer.

Buchanan says he would commit to Michigan if they offer

Last month, the 6-2, 235-pound Buchanan told SicEmSports.com that he had set an official visit with Michigan for Jan. 12 and that if he liked it he would commit. Buchanan updated where things stood with Michigan earlier this week.

"They just called me and told me they were going to fly me down there sometime this month on an official visit to see if I like it up there or not," he said. "I haven't set it up yet, but I am supposed to be coming in sometime this week and setting that up. I'm going to try my best to get it this weekend because we get out of school early this week and I'm going to try to go Friday. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow probably."

Buchanan said he last spoke with Michigan just before the holiday dead period began in mid-December. He confirmed that if he did take the trip, was offered and had a good time he planned to commit to the Wolverines on the visit.

"I'm looking at just Michigan, and if I don't like it up there, I'll just go to North Texas. I just have a better chance of going to the next level if I go up there," Buchanan commented. "They said with all of the linebackers they are losing next year to graduation and the pros, they think that I can play for them next year and help out the team at the middle linebacker position."

Buchanan is supposed to visit North Texas the weekend of Jan. 19. If he does not take the official visit to Michigan this coming weekend, he will try to schedule it for later in the month.

Rivals.com ranks Buchanan as the No. 55 outside linebacker in the class of 2007. He holds offers from the likes of Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Mississippi State as well as those from Baylor and North Texas. This past season he tallied 78 tackles in just seven games for Gilmer.

he is scheuled to visit NT but can't find anything saying he has verballed to NT. Cross you fingers on this one
Dave Campbell Texas Football states the verbal here.

Elsehwhere, Keller Fossil Ridge DL Chris Perry has switched his commitment from Miami to Nebraska, and UNT picked up Gilmer LB Dominique Buchanan, previously a Baylor commitment.

From what I read about him earlier in the year he is a stud linebacker, however he may have trouble qualifying due to grades. If he can get in and stay in he will probably be one of the best to play at UNT. Rumor is he and Kinne were big pals and when Kinne decided to go ride the pine at Texas and they wouldn't offer to him he wanted to go somewhere else. Great pickup for Dodge if he pans out.

I was at the basketball game tonight. WHAT A FINISH!!!!!

The Baylor board is just hilarious. Of course it was either 1)Grades, 2)He's gay or 3)We didn't want him anyway. How about this, he wants to go where he can win and compete for bowl trips? Or maybe he just buys into what Todd Dodge is selling.

:lol:

It's a different thought or philosophy I've stumbled onto with this, but can't Todd Dodge now tell a prospect that it might be easier for said prospect to get into the BCS Championship Series at a school like Boise State (and henceforth.........UNT) than at 2'nd division or celler dweller schools in major conferences that get kicked around annually in their own respective major conferences? :rolleyes:

I'm not telling yall something that most of you don't already know, but this BCS Championship win by Boise St. over the Sooners was very big for mid-major schools in so many ways and improved across the board recruiting could be at the top of that list. Heck, all the high profile prospects Todd Dodge is even just getting to visit our school this quickly is beyond many of our's wildest expectations. This is all getting to be very much fun again in Mean Green Country and the timing could not have been any better.

Here is what espn.com recruit tracker has to say about him:

Dominique Buchanan

ILB | 6'2" 230

Hometown: Gilmer, TX

School: Gilmer High School

Region: Plains Status: Verbal

School: Baylor

You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive recruiting content below.

Last Updated: 8/20/2006

Scouts Grade: 79

Position Rank: ILB #9 <-- thats 9th best in the country @ his position

Evaluation: Buchanan has a nice combination of size and ability. He is athletic enough to slip blocks and make plays, but he also has the size to take on blocks and mix it up between the tackles. He does a good job locating the ball and getting to it. He has good lateral mobility and displays some ability to sidestep blocks. He plays square to the line of scrimmage. He displays good patience and can step up and make a play in the hole. He has good feet and balance and does a nice job of keeping blockers off his legs and staying on his feet. He can get over the top of blocks and quickly downhill. He will take shallow angles but runs well and has long arms to reel in ball carriers. He takes on blocks well and quickly sheds. He is a solid tackler who can make plays in space. He will dip his head at times but is also capable of laying bone-jarring hits. He runs well for his size and can be a sideline-to-sideline player. He shows enough burst off the edge to pressure the quarterback and has the body lean to turn the corner. He can be dangerous blitzing up the middle because he hits seams hard. He displays the ability to time the snap well and also comes with enough power to push blockers back. He is adequate in his pass drops and can a bit stiff in the hips. He does good job of reading the quarterback's eyes and getting into passing lanes. He has good hands and can make a play on the ball when the opportunity is there. Buchanan is good and should continue to improve.

Edited by Keith7

What an awesome pick up he would be... size, speed & a nose for the ball. Could be another awesome piece to an ever improving evolving "Dodge Ball" team. I would have never thought that a guy visiting Big Blue would ever even consider UNT.

Boy this is going to take some getting used to --- but I LIKE IT!!!!! Time for dreams of great Mean Green football to become reality!! ;)

I saw a quote from Buchanan after Kinne de-committed, saying that now that Kinne wasn't going to Baylor, he had no reason to go there. I think that was the deciding factor. I didn't dream that he'd be coming to NT.

Here's the section from the article on 12/30 titled Kinne, the Aftershock:

So what does Kinne's de-commitment mean for Baylor? Are there more to follow?

As a matter of fact at least one de-commitment can be linked directly to Kinne's.

"G.J. just committed to UT, so there's no use to me going down there really," said Gilmer linebacker Dominique Buchanan.

The three-star linebacker has a visit scheduled to Michigan January 12, and if he receives an offer and likes it he says "I'm going to commit." Buchanan is also thinking about visiting Oklahoma St.

Thank you G.J. Kinne!

I saw him play this year, the entire Gilmer team was quite impressive. I saw them play Longview Springhill, both were undefeated in district play at the time, Gilmer put away the game in the first quarter. Gilmer had 7 DI commits at that time.