New Commitment

GrandGreen

Football: Alamo Heights' Vizza keeps options open

Web Posted: 01/10/2007 07:48 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Editor's note: The content of this story has been modified since it was first posted.

advertisement

Despite committing to Nevada over the weekend, Alamo Heights quarterback Giovanni Vizza said he still plans on fielding offers.

"It's a soft verbal," said Vizza, who plans to visit North Texas this weekend. "In a way, I'm still looking. But my family and I wanted to secure something. I'm keeping my options open."

Vizza passed for 3,278 yards and 37 touchdowns to lead the Mules to the Class 4A Division I championship. An Express-News All-Area selection, he was recently named state Offensive Player of the Year by Texas Football magazine.

Mules teammate Sam Dibrell also had an eventful weekend, committing to North Texas. Dibrell, another E-N All-Area pick, caught 92 passes for 1,556 yards and 20 touchdowns.

- Dan McCarney

It seems like nearly every time I check up on football threads, there is a new story of someone committing or thinking about committing to UNT. It sounds like Coach Dodge is already having a major impact from what I can gather, and he has been on the job for less than a month. This is going to get exciting.

Sam Dibrel listed at 6'2 215 4.55, hm all state class 4a Great size for wr or db

It probably want hurt in recruiting his teammate the QB either.

There's a RB/DB on that team, who has great speed.....and is also a heckuva player. The player's name is Colton Haverda. I've read his 40 times....and they are anywhere from 4.34 to 4.47.

Not sure if he's committed anywhere.....but he, Vizza and Dibrell all sound like great players.

And btw....I absolutely love this "non stealth" recruiting.

WR: Sam Dibrell, Alamo Heights, 6-2, 200, sr. Notable: Unanimous All-District 27-4A. ... Led area in receiving yards (1,556), receptions (92) and receiving TDs (20).

San Antonio-Area Receiving Yards

Sam Dibrell, Alamo Heights 1,151

Kurtis Kostan, New Braunfels 967

Chris West, Devine 934

Kasey Jonas, Dilley 929

Jordan Carlos, Comfort 864

San Antonio-Area Receptions

Sam Dibrell, Alamo Heights 66

Ricky Valadez, Harlandale 53

Sean Luchnick, O'Connor 52

Jordan Carlos, Comfort 50

Lucky Muhleman, O'Connor 49

George Reyes, Bandera 49

San Antonio Express-News

Editor's note: The content of this story has been modified since it was first posted.

advertisement

Despite committing to Nevada over the weekend, Alamo Heights quarterback Giovanni Vizza said he still plans on fielding offers.

"It's a soft verbal," said Vizza, who plans to visit North Texas this weekend. "In a way, I'm still looking. But my family and I wanted to secure something. I'm keeping my options open."

Vizza passed for 3,278 yards and 37 touchdowns to lead the Mules to the Class 4A Division I championship. An Express-News All-Area selection, he was recently named state Offensive Player of the Year by Texas Football magazine.

Mules teammate Sam Dibrell also had an eventful weekend, committing to North Texas. Dibrell, another E-N All-Area pick, caught 92 passes for 1,556 yards and 20 touchdowns.

- Dan McCarney

Rivals on Giovanni Vizza

http://www.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=55402

Guest GrayEagleOne

Wow! Plenty of receivers :) ... would like to see some linemen now.

We'll need more than that. Remember, Dodge's offense often uses four receivers. If Muzzy is able to come back we'll have only two with significant experience. So, unless Fitzgerald makes the two-deep, these incoming freshmen may very well play without redshirting.

We can always use quality linemen, especially if they are Dylan Lineberry/Brandon Kennedy types. But I'm expecting Drake, Banks, and Foster to strengthen the offensive line and Gilmore will be back on defense (we hope). Unless we have several linemen that won't be back we won't need great numbers, but we can always use quality.

We'll need more than that. Remember, Dodge's offense often uses four receivers. If Muzzy is able to come back we'll have only two with significant experience. So, unless Fitzgerald makes the two-deep, these incoming freshmen may very well play without redshirting.

We can always use quality linemen, especially if they are Dylan Lineberry/Brandon Kennedy types. But I'm expecting Drake, Banks, and Foster to strengthen the offensive line and Gilmore will be back on defense (we hope). Unless we have several linemen that won't be back we won't need great numbers, but we can always use quality.

Foster was a senior this year.

San Antonio Express-News

advertisement

- Dan McCarney

I favor the kid from Boswell, Taylor Weidman. He passed for 2700 yards and ran for 800. He's taller (6'2" vs 6'), faster (4.5 vs 4.8), and he's already stated that he felt it would be an honor to play for Coach Dodge. He sounds real motivated to me.

Edited by SilverEagle

Any word on whether TD would be interested in Chance McCoy from Graham? It's Colt's little brother and he's a two-time all stater. He and Reilly are friends and I have it on good authority he'd come here. May not be fast enough (4.9) but could be a terrific possession guy. He's tall and can go up for it and ain't afraid to get hit. Just wondering if anyone has heard his name brought up?