Baylor Pulls Justin Johnson's Scholarship Offer

Harry

Baylor pulls Justin Johnson's scholarship offer From Todd Willis' recruiting blog on the Dallas Morning News

More on the Justin Johnson saga

It looks like what was a cozy relationship between Baylor and Richardson Berkner coach Jim Ledford is no more after athlete Justin Johnson was told the Bears weren't honoring his scholarship.

This is an interesting story, one that in Buzz's opinion is going to hurt Baylor.

Things appear to have gotten sideways here when running backs coach Chris Lancaster, who was recruiting Johnson, resigned after the season. Johnson went several weeks without hearing from Baylor and decided to take a visit to Houston with teammate Adrian Campbell, who backed out of a commitment to Baylor during football season.

Berkner coach Jim Ledford believes Johnson's visit to Houston angered Baylor coaches and that's the reason head coach Guy Morriss told Johnson on Sunday night that he was no longer being offered a scholarship. Buzz has left a message for Baylor recruiting coordinator Wesley McGriff, but any comment would have to wait since Bears coaches can't comment on potential recruits.

They should know Johnson and Ledford are upset.

"It's real disappointing," said Johnson, who was expecting to play safety at Baylor after starring at quarterback for Berkner. "I was trying to figure stuff out for my future and he [Morriss] was avoiding me. I was calling him five times a day for four days."

So what now? Johnson said Tuesday that Houston and SMU are possibilities.

"I'll start taking visits and see who is interested in me," Johnson said. "This has really put me in a bind."

Johnson said that the right foot injury that he suffered in Berkner's playoff loss to Klein Oak has healed. Johnson, who is now playing basketball, had six points in Thursday's 66-55 loss to Spruce in the DISD Coca-Cola Invitational.

As for Baylor and Ledford, the Berkner coach said Monday that he told Bears linebacker Gary Joe Kinne not to stop by for a visit anytime soon.

"I told Gary Joe that as long as he's at Baylor, don't ever step foot on this campus again," Ledford said.

And one last thought, Justin Johnson is not the kind of player that Baylor can afford to lose. Johnson simply is a winner. When he was in the lineup at quarterback this year, Berkner was a state championship contender. When he was out, Berkner was just another team.

Posted by Todd Wills at 10:07 AM (E-mail this entry) | Comments

It seems unusual that a recruit's visit would anger a school such as Baylor so much that they would withdraw their offer. Visits to multiple schools is the norm, why is this any different?

-gm

I think it is the visiting after committment thing. Kinda like "visiting" a girlfriends house and hoping the wife doesn't care.

still don't buy it. It was a verbal commit. There wasn't any clause in the offer saying he couldn't visit other schools.

-gm

Haven't some of these kids heard of "stealth" recruiting visits? :rolleyes:

UNT is so conveniently located to DFW area recruits that many of them can take "unofficial" visits to UNT; you know, like to take a stroll down Fry Street and think they will run into the next Norah Jones? :blink: Or hellsbells! Maybe even sweet Norah herself since she's on that Save Fry Street Businesses Committee (or whatever its called).

SMU brags about their pretty co-eds. You think it might hurt all those 'Stang feelings if they were to discover for themselves that at UNT we just simply have more of them? :clapping:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

Morriss will regret that decision. Johnson was the difference-maker for Berkner in their playoff game against Garland. Justin Johnson is a terrific athlete. He would be the best at any position on the Berkner team. He is a slightly bigger and faster version of Scott Davis with maybe an even better arm. He even sports a pretty good punting average.

Justin committed to Baylor a long time ago and wasn't going anywhere else. He only went to Houston because of a teammate and because he hadn't heard from Baylor in eons.

Morriss will regret that decision. Johnson was the difference-maker for Berkner in their playoff game against Garland. Justin Johnson is a terrific athlete. He would be the best at any position on the Berkner team. He is a slightly bigger and faster version of Scott Davis with maybe an even better arm. He even sports a pretty good punting average.

Justin committed to Baylor a long time ago and wasn't going anywhere else. He only went to Houston because of a teammate and because he hadn't heard from Baylor in eons.

Baylor and it's coach have an inferior chip on their shoulder anyway. They do not belong in the Big 12, and are just trying to show some swagger. It is ashamed that is at the expense of an 18 year old kid. I hope he signs w/ Houston and has a great college career. He'll be more successful in the next four years than Guy Morris.

Baylor and it's coach have an inferior chip on their shoulder anyway. They do not belong in the Big 12, and are just trying to show some swagger. It is ashamed that is at the expense of an 18 year old kid. I hope he signs w/ Houston and has a great college career. He'll be more successful in the next four years than Guy Morris.

I agree with everything you posted, but I hope he signs with NT!