"...unt(coaching Job) A Demotion....

FirefightnRick

Thank goodness for the "Charity" of Todd Dodge to come to North Texas and teach life lessons to the underpriveledged.

Rick

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/high_school/16312609.htm

Dodge teaches more than footballBy Jennifer Floyd Engel

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO — In his final act as Carroll coach, Todd Dodge won a championship on TV. Neither is likely at his next gig, at least not anytime soon.

So why again is he leaving? And double why for North Texas?

Many believe his decision to leave Southlake for UNT qualifies as a demotion, for obvious reasons: fewer TV appearances, lesser facilities and possibly a smaller budget.

Include me chief among said doubters, until I met Joan Conger.

You are probably wondering who Joan Conger is and why a take on coaching football from a great-great grandmother from Fort Smith, Ark., matters. More on her in a second.

How Dodge finished his Carroll tenure — with a rousing 43-29 victory against Austin Westlake in the Class 5A Division I state championship — is everything I love most about high school football and why some coaches are lifers.

Watching how Tré Newton chest-bumped his famous former Cowboy dad after his nasty 74-yard touchdown run was a reminder of what we love about sports. Or how the Dragons sideline was chanting “defense” in the waning moments, and how the defense responded with an impressive stop.

Mostly, how much it all matters to all of them.

Singling out one moment to summarize such a game is impossible, yet Dragons QB Riley Dodge provided it with one of the most disgusting and yet most impressive things I have seen at any level.

He projectile-vomited about a second before the ball was snapped, proceeded to throw a 29-yard, go-ahead touchdown pass, then vomited twice more as he made his way to the sideline.

“We had them in a coverage we knew we could score in, so ...” he said, intending this to be an explanation on why he had not signaled for a timeout to at least wash his mouth out.

He’s certainly a fighter, this kid, much like his dad.

And afterward, when time had ticked away, Riley and his dad fought through a crowd for a tear-filled hug.

Finality seems to have begun sinking in for coach Dodge, and he was asked if he did the right thing by leaving.

“I’m very sad. I mean, I’m very happy,” Dodge said. “I think the sadness is going to hit me. But it’s a great opportunity.”

Which is kind of what Joan was saying. She had scooted in beside me Saturday on the flight to Santonio, leading to typical seatmate small talk. Where are you going? Why?

She had come to spend Christmas with her daughter, grandchildren and a great grandchild. Carroll playing for another state championship was my why and why Joan ended up getting an impromptu history lesson on Dragon football.

“So they are like a real Friday Night Lights?” she noted when I had finished.

The comparison is fitting, seeing what a storied program Carroll has been. Especially under Dodge. They have won four state championships in the past five years.

Only in an offhanded, how-crazy-is-this-guy way was Dodge’s leaving for UNT mentioned. To which, Joan noted what a good coach Dodge is for teaching such an important lesson.

Say what?

Joan just loved what Dodge was doing because he was teaching his players a lesson many never learn until they are her age: Dare greatly. Take on a challenge. Never be afraid to fail.

Her point was people her age rarely regret what they did nearly as much as what they didn’t.

Staying would have been easy for Dodge. Leaving was hard.

There is something wonderfully innocent about high school and its football. Where else do players wear T-shirts that read “Protect the Tradition: Whatever it Takes” and consider dyeing their hair blond and not caring if it grows out by prom as part of what it takes?

Dodge has something special going with this program, from football players to band to Belles to fans. The Dragon cheerleaders summed it up perfectly, with a sign: “It’s beginning to look a lot like ... last year ... and the year before that.”

Dodge had to know if he stayed he’d have plenty of days like this and very few like await him at North Texas. He’d be safe, if he stayed. But high school coaches, on their best days, are not just teaching young men how to win, but setting an example of how to live.

And if Dodge’s last lesson to his Dragon players is to never be afraid to try something simply to avoid failing, he has done good.

Jennifer Floyd Engel can be

heard weekdays 9 a.m.-noon on The Little Ball of Hate Show on ESPN/103.3 FM.

Jennifer Floyd Engel, 817-390-7760 jenfloyd@star-telegram.com

I can't stand that bitch. Never have never will. The only way she gets anyone to listen to her talk show is by throwing out some stupid comments to try to rile someone up. I turn it off everytime she comes on. Im sure in a few years when we get in the top 25 she will be saying how brilliant NT was & how stupid the other BIG schools are who didn't scoop up TD before we did. She just ruined my holliday spirit :angry:

Edited by NT03

Jennifer Floyd Engel can be

heard weekdays 9 a.m.-noon on The Little Ball of Hate Show on ESPN/103.3 FM.

Jennifer Floyd Engel, 817-390-7760 jenfloyd@star-telegram.com

how fitting <_<

Makes me wonder if these are gibes at UNT, or college in general. Would she be saying the same things if they fired Bennet and took Dodge at SMU?

-gm

Edited by greenminer

Well, I don't like us being such a negative example either. But to be honest, we've only ourselves to blame for being such an easy target.

We (North Texas students/alums) are the ones who have stayed away in droves from athletic events, using the excuse that "when the school starts winning we'll attend..etc....etc....etc"...blah blah blah. But even when we were winning, our numbers weren't up as significatly as a school of 30+students and 100K almuni should have been.

Todd Dodge can come in and win games and championships, but it's up to US to show up in the kind of numbers that our program deserves.

If we are waiting for Todd Dodge to make us feel good about ourselves and our school, then we deserve the kind of shots that a "little ball of hate" throws at us.

Todd Dodge has his job to do, and we have OURS.

BUY SEASON TICKETS

JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB

JOIN YOUR LOCAL EXES ORGANIZATION

ACTUALLY SHOW UP TO GAMES

BE LOUD AND ROWDY

There is one way - and only one way - we are ever going to quiet those criticisms. Win.

How many times have members of this very forum commented what a joke the program is, what a joke Dickey ball was? How our facilities are lacking? How we don't recruit well? Don't be surprised when others feel that way, too. We have yet to give people a real reason to feel otherwise.

Hiring Coach Dodge is a huge step in changing that perception, and he sees far deeper into the potential of UNT than does Ms. Engel. But the only way to gain respect is to win out of conference games, the way Troy gained respect by beating Missouri. That's what we need - wins against solid teams from the big-time conferences. I have little doubt that it will happen under Coach Dodge.

A caution: venting on this board is one thing, but sending profane messages to the media does not help. It only reinforces their perception of us as a bunch of losers, small-timers, and it will back-fire. I promise it will back-fire.

So let them talk. Let them question us. At least they're talking about us and not ignoring us. And in the end, I believe UNT and Coach Dodge will have the final word.

I hate to tell you guys but she is not the only one who feels the way she wrote in this column. Those of us who post on this board often see things through green colored glasses. Lots of people in the area and the state wonder why he made this move. I guess only time will tell if it is a good one. If he comes to North Texas, wins some games, and moves on to bigger and better things it will have been a great decision. If not, he can always find a home back in the high school ranks. He has sure been successful at that level.

I agree 100% with you guys ( Silver,Smitty & Huff )

The people who frown on the Dodge hiring are the same people who frowned on us firing DD. They do not understand what's really going on here. There is potential to WIN here and DD was leading us down the gutter.

Anyone who has ever been around TD knows he can WIN here. Ill bash on LBH on here , but to leave her a nasty email would be classless. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I've never been a fan of her and when she bashes my alma matter he just irks me more.

I hope this year our average home attendance is around 25K , anything less than 20K ( I don't care even if we are playing WKU ) then the NT bashers might just be right about us. I just hope our middle of the road fans don't leave after TDs first season , because they are expecting a BCS bid in 07.

Edited by NT03

We have been on TV many times the past 6 years, I can count at least 8 and possibly more than that.

We have nicer facilities than SLC. Our weight room and coaches offices come to mind. Does our basketball facility count as well?

We will pay TD much better. (I can't believe that is even in there, which speaks as to how loud she truly wanted to cut NT in this article)

We have good fans and have had decent crowds in the past that have showed up when even I didn't think we would have any. The fact that we had a strong showing 4 years in a row in N.O. on a weeknight speaks to our potential to have even better attendance in the future.

The ONLY reason for the criticism from her in this article is because she's a BCS apologist and that North Texas hasn't had the opportunity to beat her school yet, even though Troy has. Had Missouri been our "Baylor" back in '03 this article more than likely would have had a different theme to it.

Rick

You want to hurt some like Ms Engel? Really hurt her? Ignore her. Don't listen to her show, don't read her columns, don't respond to her insults. I know it's difficult, but the worse thing anyone can ever do to people like her or Randy Galloway is ignore them. They thrive on confrontation and would much rather be insulted than ignored.

Rick, I think you and anyone else would be wasting there breath. If you think that goin from ANY high school to UNT is a demotion, you are just misinformed or uniformed. In this case I think she is just uniformed. How many times has she been to the Athletic complex? And evidently she has not been watching ESPN2 EVER! Todd Dodge is probably more informed about the two situations than she is and I garauntee you he doesn't feel as if it is a demotion. Let see, the SLC HC job is open, let's see a list of the canidates???? Let's look at the list of canidates we just had??? Ya, there the same! I guess Jim Harbaugh will be sending his resume to Carroll ISD. Doubt it. That article is why the Star Telegram is a second rate sports page compared to the DMN. And as far as seeing things in green color glasses, those people who think its a demotion are just uniformed about college coaching at this level. I am sure many of them will break out there Texas gear every saturday next year while there Tartleton, SFA, UT DALLAS, Sam Houston, (insert some other non football power house) degree hangs on the wall.

I am a high school football coach, if I had the chance to be the Head coach at NT or any sunbelt school vs being the head coach at SLC, I would go to the four year university.

Taking the NT job did not turn out too bad for Hayden. Hell, Even Matt Simon went on to get a Super Bowl ring, what former SLC coach went on the NFL! What former asst. coaches went on to coach at a div 1 bowl team? (insert Kragthorpe, Leftwich, Shultz here) I know there are many more, a prominant one at UCLA comes to mind. But don't let this poorly informed writer from a second rate paper get your dander up. TD will make them eat these words!

You want to hurt some like Ms Engel? Really hurt her? Ignore her. Don't listen to her show, don't read her columns, don't respond to her insults. I know it's difficult, but the worse thing anyone can ever do to people like her or Randy Galloway is ignore them. They thrive on confrontation and would much rather be insulted than ignored.

Ding, ding, ding! It won't be long before espn shows her the door.....any idea on what her ratings are like?

. . . however, one positive aspect is that it sets the stage for next year. The story will be, "will/can Todd Dodge bring success to UNT?" Then as the team shows progress, in will be "against all odds" (even though we know better). Compare this to accepting a job at Texas or A&M where the situation is that you are supposed to win. The best you can do is maintain the status quo. At UNT, you have a chance to be a hero. The situation sets up Todd Dodge to be a hero.

Rick, I think you and anyone else would be wasting there breath.

Oh I would never give her the satisfaction to respond. I'm certainly of the oppinion that she and others like her should be completely ignored. I never intentionally listen to her show and usually turn the dial shortly after I hear her voice. I rarely, ever read her articles which are usually inside the front page(second page of the Startlegram) but today's article is at the top of the "High School" section and title's all the SLC coverage from yesterday's State Championship game. It's titled..."Dodge teaches more than football", so you just about can't help but read it if your even remotely interested in Todd Dodge or SLC.

Rick

Well, I don't like us being such a negative example either. But to be honest, we've only ourselves to blame for being such an easy target.

We (North Texas students/alums) are the ones who have stayed away in droves from athletic events, using the excuse that "when the school starts winning we'll attend..etc....etc....etc"...blah blah blah. But even when we were winning, our numbers weren't up as significatly as a school of 30+students and 100K almuni should have been.

Todd Dodge can come in and win games and championships, but it's up to US to show up in the kind of numbers that our program deserves.

If we are waiting for Todd Dodge to make us feel good about ourselves and our school, then we deserve the kind of shots that a "little ball of hate" throws at us.

Todd Dodge has his job to do, and we have OURS.

BUY SEASON TICKETS

JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB

JOIN YOUR LOCAL EXES ORGANIZATION

ACTUALLY SHOW UP TO GAMES

BE LOUD AND ROWDY

...and this is the bottom line. When you've arrived and are truly a developed and established program two things will happen (1) these type of comments won't bother you because you'll know it's not true. (2) these type of comments will disappear.

I'll say this about Coach DD, he had one thing right, it's us against them. However, it's the University of North Texas against everyone else who will stop at nothing to keep us down. We've have to be bigger, better, stronger as a whole to overcome the negative media types who enjoy nothing more than seeing us try and fall flat on our faces. I have a feeling that's about to change - athletics: Give TD a couple of years to get everything in place and we are about to take off; academics - Give Dr. Bataille a couple of years and see where we're at!

Ding, ding, ding! It won't be long before espn shows her the door.....any idea on what her ratings are like?

Not sure about her time slot, but the Arbitrons show ESPN Radio trailing The Ticket by an average of a 1.2 share. Spring 06 numbers showed The Ticket ahead by a 0.9 share of the ratings. That's fairly significant.

The Little Ball of Hate sucks.

Why is anyone acting as a mouthpiece for Ms. Engel to begin with? Is it really that important to anybody on this board that her uninformed opinion be broadcast to everyone that reads these message boards?

Doesn't it occur to anyone that as she headlines as "The Little Ball Of Hate" that she might be saying baseless statements to inspire negative reaction?

Somebody swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker. <_<

Edited by ADLER