Mack Brown wieghs in

EagleD

I rarely listen to Craig way's show, but today tuned in while driving around buying Christmas presents.

Craig and Mack Brown both had the same take. Mack considers DD a friend. Mack's comment went something like this, "When an AD comes in sometimes he wants to hire his own coach, and that's what happened here. I hate to see Darrell go, but Todd is a great coach and will do great things at NT." They went on to be quite complimentary of Dodge.

Of course I had to call in and ask Craig about the "black uni fiasco". He would not comment. He just reverted to how much DD did while he was there, and Dodge would make it even better. Then I got cut off before I could remind him of DD's blunders (the MFer's comment, constantly bashing the university, etc.)

I have a lot of respect for Craig, but feel he is just out of touch with his alma mater. Craig and Dunham are good friends and I think that's where he gets his info. I get the distinct impression that they don't care for RV. It's just an observation. I could be wrong.

All that aside, I havent been this excited about NT football since we "beat" UT in '88.

I know there are a lot of people on this board who despise UT. There are many,like me, who follow them closely. Either way I assume you would like to renew the series. If you think Mack's affiliation with DD will hurt that, think again. Dodge's father in law is DeLoss Dodds, UT's AD.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig and Mack Brown both had the same take.  Mack considers DD a friend.  Mack's comment went something like this, "When an AD comes in sometimes he wants to hire his own coach, and that's what happened here.  I hate to see Darrell go, but Todd is a great coach and will do great things at NT."

It took what, 6 years for RV to hire "his own coach." That's not quite what happened here.

Never believe what one coach says about another coach, unless Mike Leach is talking. The unwritten code is to be complimentary and upbeat.

"You know, Coach Smith just needed a little more time. People focus on the 58 game-losing streak, but he did some great things with that program. It is a travesty they let him go so quickly, but I know he will land on his feet quickly. Blah blah."

So it could be said that DeLoss Dodds's daughter is Mrs. Dodds-Dodge. But not easily.

Actually, it was WR Bill Boy Bryant that married Dodds' daughter, Deidre. They split up many moons ago. Todd Dodge married Eddie Neptune's daughter. Eddie Neptune coached Austin Westlake back in the 1980s.

BTW, congrats on the hire. biggrin.gif I knew Todd from UT football back in the mid 80s. Great guy with a very good football mind though not the greatest QB mind you. I hope that you guys have patience with him and if you do, your program will reap dividends. Let's just say that I will not want a rematch with the Mean Green when Todd Dodge has his program finally in place.

Dodge's father in law is DeLoss Dodds, UT's AD.

Um, a little rumor control.

As reported by RC Horn:

Todd Dodge's wife, Elizabeth, grew up the daughter of a high school football coach. Her dad, Ebbie Neptune, was the longtime AD and football coach at Austin (TX) Westlake High. He retired two years ago.

Elizabeth Dodge is a North Texas graduate.

Edited by ADLER