Interesting comment from other board

bdan2002

well..I heard something at the Grand Prairie basketball game Tuesday night...Rhett Bomar to UNT...supposedly one of the long time GP boosters heard it straight from daddy's mouth...but right now you're going to hear a lot of things...I don't see Bomar the QB going to UNT...unless Dodge convinces everyone he's one of the main pieces to the puzzle...

I hope Bomar's had a serious re-calibration of his attitude.

Word on the grapevine is that Stoops could have just suspended him for a few gamed and make him pay back the money and that would have passed muster with the NCAA. However Stoops was so fed up with the kid being an ass, he kicked him off the team.

Edited by Baby Arm!

Word on the grapevine is that Stoops could have just suspended him for a few gamed and make him pay back the money and that would have passed muster with the NCAA.  However Stoops was so fed up with the kid being an ass,  he kicked him off the team.

You think the stuff he's gone through(ending up at SHSU) could have humbled him in some way.

well..I heard something at the Grand Prairie basketball game Tuesday night...Rhett Bomar to UNT...supposedly one of the long time GP boosters heard it straight from daddy's mouth...but right now you're going to hear a lot of things...I don't see Bomar the QB going to UNT...unless Dodge convinces everyone he's one of the main pieces to the puzzle...

Bomar's dad was on board with a move to UNT .

Bomar was let go because OU had just had violations with basketball and gymnastics and could not afford to be killed as an institution out of control sanctions. USC and Ohio St. simply kept Jarrett and Smith and rode it out with no punishment(usc-paid 5k out of 18k back & no missed games)-(ohio st. paid 500. back and sat out two games)

Considering that a player has 5 years to play 4 seasons from the day that they first enroll at a college, Bomars clock would have had quite a bit of it's time expired.

2004, at OU

2005, at OU

2006, sat out because of NCAA

2007, sit out to transfer to Div 1 school (that's why he went 1AA)

2008, only season eligible to participate at North Texas

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I think it's safe to assume that Bomar will be a Bearkat in 2007 and 2008.

Then again, if he transfers and lghts it up in one season against D-1 competition, he could significantly raise his draft stock.

We'll see, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

Word on the grapevine is that Stoops could have just suspended him for a few gamed and make him pay back the money and that would have passed muster with the NCAA.  However Stoops was so fed up with the kid being an ass,  he kicked him off the team.

Bomar definately was a jerk. Just tonight on the Sports Animal they were talking about how Bomar started to earn some respect with his play but blew it away be being a jerk of a person. He constantly thumbed his nose at the police about drinking under age. He definately has some baggage and I'm not interested in him coming to UNT unless he has had a major attitude adjustment.

Geez ... the idea he would accept such a blantant kickback and put the entire team in jeopardy of probation is very selfish. That he actually reported the kickback on his taxes shows how stupid he is.

Considering that a player has 5 years to play 4 seasons from the day that they first enroll at a college, Bomars clock would have had quite a bit of it's time expired.

2004, at OU

2005, at OU

2006, sat out because of NCAA

2007, sit out to transfer to Div 1 school (that's why he went 1AA)

2008, only season eligible to participate at North Texas

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I think it's safe to assume that Bomar will be a Bearkat in 2007 and 2008.

Then again, if he transfers and lghts it up in one season against D-1 competition, he could significantly raise his draft stock.

We'll see, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

2006 and 2007 in your post would count together. he has 2 years to play weather he goes to a D1A school or not.

Don't think Snead will come to UNT. Remember Riley Dodge is a junior at Carroll and UNT just moved to the top of his list. Snead would have tho sit one year, Riley's senior year at SLC, and would then have to compete for the QB position.

Wonder what the Coffman kid from Kansas is thinking now?

I don't care much for Snead.  He's quit one program already, and today's Startlegram is saying that a Walk On is having to fill in for McCoy until McCoy recovers as they prepare for the bowl game.

He's doesn't come across as will to pay the price to earn the spot.  I say let him go somewhere else.

Rick

I see your point, but you also have to take into account that Texas is bringing in a top QB recruit, Brantley, from Florida next season as well... Im sure that played a part in his decision.

Maybe he just wanted to play ball. We always give these guys a hard time for going to a major BCS program and "riding the pine" when they could start at places like UH, NT, Tulsa, etc so maybe we should cut him a little slack when they themselves realize this and make the decision to move on?

I'd love to see Snead here, he's a stud QB, I just don't think its going to happen.

I don't care much for Snead.  He's quit one program already, and today's Startlegram is saying that a Walk On is having to fill in for McCoy until McCoy recovers as they prepare for the bowl game.

He's doesn't come across as will to pay the price to earn the spot.  I say let him go somewhere else.

Rick

Snead's just making a smart decision. I have no idea how hard he's worked for playing time. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he did work hard, because I don't think the backup quarterback at UT could be a slacker.

I think Snead saw that the die was cast the week after he took over for the injured Colt McCoy against Kansas State. According to Scout.com:

"Snead worked with the first team offense during the Horns' bye week and early the week of the A&M game, but was again relegated to back-up duty when the coaches announced McCoy as the Aggie game starter. Despite reports that McCoy was at less than 100-percent for the A&M game, Snead's only action came on the Horns' final desperation drive after McCoy had to be carted off the field."

UT has clearly settled on McCoy. The reality is that Snead could spend his whole college career on the bench hoping for an injury. Despite having starting-caliber talent, he could work his tail off and still end up as a four-year backup. That's the lesson a lot of kids fail to understand until they sign on with a giant program and find themselves lost in the avalanche of recruits that programs like UT bring in every year.

I don't blame Snead a bit. The fact that he wants to play rather than be comfortable as a backup suggests that he is willing to work hard. He's obviously good enough to play elsewhere, so he's going to do so. If Coach Dodge wants him, bring him on.

From what I've read, Snead would have to sit out the 2007 season. But he still has his redshirt year, so apparently he can use that at the same time he sits out, leaving him with three years of eligibility.