DRC Let the search begin..lays out ground rules

OldTimer

Football: Let the search begin

UNT AD Villarreal to start looking for new coach today

11:51 PM CST on Thursday, November 9, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas will begin a new era in the history of its program today when athletic director Rick Villarreal and university president Dr. Gretchen Bataille begin the search for a new head football coach to replace Darrell Dickey.

Dickey was fired Wednesday with three games left in his ninth season at UNT.

"The search will start immediately for a new coach," Villarreal said. "We will make sure we get an all-inclusive pool of the best candidates and try to make a decision as soon as possible."

Villarreal said he and Bataille would conduct the search. No committee will be formed to help the pair pick a coach Villarreal hopes will improve the Mean Green's recruiting efforts and offensive production.

While Villarreal and Bataille will conduct the search, the board of regents must approve Dickey's replacement. The board approved a provision in 2005 that allows the university president or a person designated by the president to enter into coaching contracts as long as the base salary for the term of the contract does not exceed $500,000. A new football coach's base salary would exceed that total.

Villarreal said moving quickly on finding a new coach is critical because most colleges are already well into their efforts to fill out their 2007 recruiting classes.

"If you are going to make a change in a program you need to get on track to get a new coach quickly," Villarreal said. "Recruiting is an integral part of what you do. The process of getting a coach in here as quickly as possible is important in that area."

UNT landed a key recruiting class in 2000 that helped lead the Mean Green to a 26-game winning streak in conference play and four straight Sun Belt Conference titles from 2001-04. The group included six players who were rated among the top 100 in the state and seven who ended up earning first-team All-Sun Belt honors.

UNT struggled to recruit and retain players who could maintain its momentum in the ensuring seasons, despite its bowl run.

Several top players failed to meet NCAA eligibility requirements and either left UNT completely or sat out a season to get back on track. Joey Byerly, who was projected to be the Mean Green's starting quarterback in 2005 didn't meet academic requirements the previous summer, leaving UNT with out a quarterback who had taken a snap in a college game heading into the season.

The Mean Green also failed to sign a player ranked among The Dallas Morning News list of the top 100 recruits in the area last season.

Villarreal said UNT would look for a coach who could use several improvements the school has made in its athletic facilities the past few seasons, including the addition of the Mean Green Athletic Center and practice field, to attract better recruits.

"We have the things in place to be a successful program," Villarreal said.

UNT will also look for a coach who will diversify and improve the Mean Green's offense that currently ranks No. 118 out of 119 teams in Division I-A with an average of 229.3 yards a game. UNT ranked No. 114 last year with an average of 271.9 yards a game.

"Coach Dickey has done a lot for the program," Villarreal said. "But the unfortunate part of our business is that it comes down to results."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Looking for someone new

There are several potential coaching candidates out there for North Texas to consider to replace head football coach Darrell Dickey. Here are a few:

Tyrone Nix, defensive coordinator, South Carolina

Nix has tied to Southern Miss, where he was also a defensive coordinator and assistant coach.

Todd Dodge, head coach, Southlake Carroll

Dodge runs a wide-opening passing offense that would put fans in the stands and he would be a hit recruiting in the Dallas area. He is a former UNT assistant and has expressed interest in returning to the college ranks at some point.

Sonny Dykes, co-offensive coordinator, Texas Tech

Runs a wide-open offense and has coached in the high school ranks in Dallas at Richardson Pearce.

Jay Johnson, offensive coordinator, Southern Miss

Could be the next in a long line of USM hires under athletic director Rick Villarreal.

Bruce Chambers, recruiting coordinator, Texas

Was a four-year letterman at UNT and could be the recruiting guru the Mean Green are seeking

Mike Schultz, offensive coordinator, TCU

Texas native was assistant head coach for six seasons at New Mexico and has been a part of a highly successful staff at TCU.

Dan McCarney, head coach, Iowa State

Stepping down after current season with Cyclones and will be looking to land somewhere

David Bailiff, head coach, Texas State

Made a splash in first season last year, going deep into I-AA playoffs and has long coaching history in Texas.

Don Carthel, head coach West Texas A&M

Led team that had not had a winning season since 1998 to Lone Star Conference title and 10-1 regular season record in 2005.

I like seeing Bailiff being added to the possible list. The job that guy did his first year at TxSt was amazing considering the situation he was placed in.

My fav so far is Dykes. I want a score fest. I want to see Boomer's barrel steaming hot each saturday night with people on the deck having to stand with their fingers in their ears. I want OFFENSE!!!!!!!!

Rick

My fav so far is Dykes.  I want a score fest. I want to see Boomer's barrel steaming hot each saturday night with people on the deck having to stand with their fingers in their ears.    I want OFFENSE!!!!!!!!

Rick

I think with Dykes as HC and Bliel as DC we might have more than a winning combination. Not sure if he would keep Bliel if Dykes came here, but I think Bliel could produce a good enough defense to balance the high-powered offense that Dykes would bring in...

I think with Dykes as HC and Bliel as DC we might have more than a winning combination. Not sure if he would keep Bliel if Dykes came here, but I think Bliel could produce a good enough defense to balance the high-powered offense that Dykes would bring in...

I would love to see Gary Deloach as DC!

I like seeing Bailiff being added to the possible list.  The job that guy did his first year at TxSt was amazing considering the situation he was placed in. 

My fav so far is Dykes.  I want a score fest. I want to see Boomer's barrel steaming hot each saturday night with people on the deck having to stand with their fingers in their ears.    I want OFFENSE!!!!!!!!

Rick

I'm with you Rick on wanting offense. Can Dykes go out and recruit the horses to run his offense? I don't think there is currently a quarterback on our roster who is suited to run the spread or even a west coast offense. Receivers? Offensive linemen?

I'm with you Rick on wanting offense.  Can Dykes go out and recruit the horses to run his offense?  I don't think there is currently a quarterback on our roster who is suited to run the spread or even a west coast offense.  Receivers?  Offensive linemen?

I don't know but I have heard some crazy good things about Tune.

Texas ties are most important with the assistant coaches; the folks actually doing the recruiting.

Defense wins championships, period. And that doesn't mean he wouldn't have an offensive gameplan.

Hiring an "offensive guy" doesn't mean anything. What if I told you we could hire a offensive coordinator who would call a game that included thowing the ball 40+ times? And bring in a sucessful Qb as an offensive coordinator? Well, you get Dickey and RF.

I'll take someone schooled under Spurrier anyday.

I definately want to see somone who likes chunking the rock to his TE 10 or 15 times a game biggrin.gif

You know Pop, I know you are divided about the decision, but this really might mean more balls thrown to the TE. I have always thought we underutilized the TE's in the DD regime. That includes when Andy Blount was here.

I am still excited about the change.....todays offensive football schemes have to include a TE threat catching the ball. They're just too hard to cover and bring down in the open field. They have become such a major part in the NFL that they are now a big part of draft day and they are commanding much higher salary's than they were just a few years ago

UNT struggled to recruit and retain players who could maintain its momentum in the ensuring seasons, despite its bowl run.

Several top players failed to meet NCAA eligibility requirements and either left UNT completely or sat out a season to get back on track.

Don Carthel, head coach West Texas A&M

This was Dickey's main downfall; that he was not able to build on those conference championships and Bowl games to find and keep better recruits. The stealth recruiting backfired.

As for a new coach, I would be in favor of a current head coach, even at a lower level, that could bring many assistants with him. It's easier for a HC that's already been a HC in the first place to just change locations and levels. Then he can bring assistants he knows he can already work with rather than to hire someone like DD that had never been a HC and has to find assistants who mesh.

I think a wide open offense at NT is long overdue and the guys most suited to that are Dodge and Dykes. It may take a couple of years to recruit the guys we need, but I think we need to go to the air to try and put us on the big-time map. Screw the power game. Leave that to the Texas and Oklahomas of the world.

Also, while we're making changes and whether it's popular or not, I personally wish we would just go back to being "The Mean Green" on defense only (ala Doomsday, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush etc.). What's wrong with the Eagles? It's our national symbol and with a wide open offense "The Soaring Eagles" sounds pretty good to me.

Also, while we're making changes and whether it's popular or not, I personally wish we would just go back to being "The Mean Green" on defense only (ala Doomsday, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush etc.). What's wrong with the Eagles? It's our national symbol and with a wide open offense "The Soaring Eagles" sounds pretty good to me.

Too many "Eagles", only one "Mean Green".... North Texas! And hopefully a new coach can get the "Mean" back into the team.

Edited by NT80

I think a wide open offense at NT is long overdue and the guys most suited to that are Dodge and Dykes. It may take a couple of years to recruit the guys we need, but I think we need to go to the air to try and put us on the big-time map. Screw the power game. Leave that to the Texas and Oklahomas of the world.

Too Many Eagles:

Boston College

Southern Miss

Eastern Michigan

Auburn(on occasion)

Only ONE Mean Green:

North Texas smile.gif

Too Many Eagles:

Boston College

Southern Miss

Eastern Michigan

Auburn(on occasion)

Only ONE Mean Green:

North Texas  smile.gif

This is correct. Some people just don't see it that way and will point to lack of tradition. It would bother me Zero to see the fight song changed. Scrappy will always be around, we will always have the handsign, the eagle screech, the big metal eagle by the student union, the student group "talons", the swooping logo, etc. The Eagle won't leave us as a symbol - Mean Green forever. Amen.

My sentiments exactly!

Bruce Chambers, recruiting coordinator, Texas

Was a four-year letterman at UNT and could be the recruiting guru the Mean Green are seeking

Dan McCarney, head coach, Iowa State

Stepping down after current season with Cyclones and will be looking to land somewhere

These two names really caught my eye.

I still like Sonny Dykes, and the OC from TCU, and even Dodge...

McCarney just for the name recognition.

Bruce Chambers because he sculpted a National Championship team at Texas, always brings in good talent and has the rolodex that comes with that. Also, he is an alum and I would love to see what he could accomplish with this team especially with his ability to evaluate talent.

How exciting

The more I think about Nix, the more I like the thought. Anyone under Spurrier is going to be aggressive on both side of the ball. Plus, with his ties to S. Miss, he knows what it's like to be in the shadow of the SEC. Hence, our situation in the midst of Big 12.