Fire Dunham as well!

Eagle Man

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not have too much "good ol' days syndrom" with Mercer.  Yes, he was great, but let's not take for granted the job GD is doing these days.

Bill Mercer was terrific for many years. But let's be honest, the last couple of seasons he did play-by-play, it was almost impossible to follow what was going on in the game. He got older, the game got faster. It happens. Moving GD in increased the quality of the broadcasts tremendously.

Get rid of Georgio? Come on that's crazy. He's a great alum and he always sticks up for the Mean Green. As far as his play by play skills he is a VERY talented play by play guy and we're lucky to have him. He could very easily do bigger national games in my opinion. But he loves to do the Mean Green games. He's said it before on the air, he would do them for free.

Yes he was a friend of Dickey's and he's seen his friend go through a rough year. If he wants to support his friend so what?

George Dunham is a great supporter of North Texas.

Prediction: George Dunham will be the next play-by-play voice of the Dallas Cowboys. He is that good at what he does. He is one of the best college play-by-play guys in the country.

Not likely! He doesn’t have the resume yet. Doing NT play by play doesn’t get him there. UT play by play might - Craig Way is great. And don’t forget Dave Barnet is out there.

Bill Mercer was the voice of the Cowboys, Rangers and White Sox. And then the Mean Green and don’t forget the wrestling! George has NT plus some high school games on his resume.

And friends on the RTF staff assure me that there was a lot of Bill Mercer character assassination going on before the change was made. It needed to be made, but the way it was done was very bad. But, I’m told George was not leading the charge, but he was significant part of it.

Get rid of Georgio? Come on that's crazy. He's a great alum and he always sticks up for the Mean Green. As far as his play by play skills he is a VERY talented play by play guy and we're lucky to have him. He could very easily do bigger national games in my opinion. But he loves to do the Mean Green games. He's said it before on the air, he would do them for free.

Yes he was a friend of Dickey's and he's seen his friend go through a rough year. If he wants to support his friend so what?

George Dunham is a great supporter of North Texas.

When you do stuff like that it compromises your status as a professional.

When that happens, people quit listening to you, and respecting your opinion. We need all the respect in the sports community that we can get.

When that happens, people quit listening to you, and respecting your opinion. We need all the respect in the sports community that we can get.

Yeah, but his show is a sports talk show. He is paid to give his opinions. Not be down the middle and objective.

And when has the ticket ever been accused of being professional? Yet people, lots of people, still listen.

I met Dunham at a remote he was doing for the Ticket last year.  We chatted up NT football for a good bit.  He's a good guy and genuinely loves UNT.  Firing Jub-Jub would be as stupid as hiring Applewhite.

I don't think hiring Applewhite is an issue either way, but what is your deal?

Have you been updating your resume lately? I'm pulling for you.

ARE YOU CRAZY! dry.gif

George is why I even listen to the games on the radio.

Plus George is rather personable. I sent a long and drawn out email to him after the FIU game. Anyone else would have dumped it after seeing how long it is (these guys are busy with show prep and do not have time to read anything longer then about 2 lines).

George sent back an email with his points. It showed he took time to read my rambling and long email and composed a reply.

If George had football coaching experience, I would say hire him as HC.

A couple of questions: Is Dunham and Miller's radio program R-rated or family rated?

Is Mean Green Athletics R-rated or family rated?

This is only a friendly debate designed to provoke thought. OK?

Two totally different things, and I would say Dunham plays the family man in all of The Ticket's schtick.

George is allowed to have an opinion just like anyone else. He's not a decision maker or for that matter even has influence over the decision makers. George's opinion was not one of firing or not firing. His only disagreement was firing him during the season. He felt as though it could have waited until end of season and that DD deserved that much.

This by no means compromises his status as a professional. He's not an analyst or consultant to the program. For goodness sake, he's a play by play announcer who's opinion was asked on radio show that he co-hosts. Which by the way, his voice has been the only positive media outlet NT has had in the DFW market for 15 plus years and running.

George is allowed to have an opinion just like anyone else.  He's not a decision maker or for that matter even has influence over the decision makers.  George's opinion was not one of firing or not firing.  His only disagreement was firing him during the season.  He felt as though it could have waited until end of season and that DD deserved that much.

This by no means compromises his status as a professional.  He's not an analyst or consultant to the program.  For goodness sake, he's a play by play announcer who's opinion was asked on radio show that he co-hosts.  Which by the way, his voice has been the only positive media outlet NT has had in the DFW market for 15 plus years and running.

The "stuff" I was talking about was the socializing that George mentioned that went on between him and the Dickey family. That is what compromises his professional opinion.

Bill Mercer was the voice of the Cowboys, Rangers and White Sox. And then the Mean Green and don’t forget the wrestling! George has NT plus some high school games on his resume.

What's the point of comparing Mercer and Dunham? Are you suggesting that Dunham's not a great play-by-play announcer? I'd rank him among the best at conveying the action and supporting the program without being a homer. I wish I had clips of some of his best-known calls, like "Do you believe in the Mean Green?" and "See you later McNeese State!"

One of the disadvantages to being a UNT fan is the lack of the perks that come from big-time college football, like wall-to-wall media coverage, national media attention, regularly televised games and serious attention from football magazines and local sports columnists. When Clemson recently stormed onto Death Valley after rubbing the Rock for good luck, to the screams of 80,000 crazed fans, I wondered whether we'll ever see that kind of moment in Denton.

But one thing we don't lack at UNT is a radio broadcast worthy of a big-time program. I'm amazed there are people dogging Dunham.

What's the point of comparing Mercer and Dunham?

Just when someone suggested George might be the next Cowboy’s play by play guy. He doesn’t have the background yet. Bill’s background is much deeper. Bill still goes to Round Rock to do minor league baseball games. It’s pro game background that George is lacking.

I think George is doing just fine for us at our level.

Just when someone suggested George might be the next Cowboy’s play by play guy. He doesn’t have the background yet. Bill’s background is much deeper. Bill still goes to Round Rock to do minor league baseball games. It’s pro game background that George is lacking.

I think George is doing just fine for us at our level.

George was also pbp for the Desperados for a season, does the PA at Texas Stadium, and is one of the best college pbp men around. Not to mention, he has public recognition (at least in this area) far greater than most. To say George could someday do the Cowboys broadcast, is, IMHO, not a stretch.

George is allowed to have an opinion just like anyone else.  He's not a decision maker or for that matter even has influence over the decision makers.  George's opinion was not one of firing or not firing.  His only disagreement was firing him during the season.  He felt as though it could have waited until end of season and that DD deserved that much.

This by no means compromises his status as a professional.  He's not an analyst or consultant to the program.  For goodness sake, he's a play by play announcer who's opinion was asked on radio show that he co-hosts.  Which by the way, his voice has been the only positive media outlet NT has had in the DFW market for 15 plus years and running.

If RV had waited until the end of the season to make the annoucement, wouldn't that have been recruiting suicide? Wow, ole George really knows the nuances of college football.

I did not hear Dunham's comments, as I do not listen to sophomoric radio, but I will tell you that Dunham is a university employee and needs to tow the company line if he wants to hang around.  No doubt he has done a lot for the university through his broadcasts, but publicly bucking the university on the air is not a good move ( assuming that he did ) as some of you have mentioned. The Mercer situation is forgiveable, as the corrosive hand of Craig Helwig was in the middle of the firing of Mercer.  Dunham was a casual participant but not the instigator.

If that was most of the root of that situation then you would have thought by now that Mr. Mercer would have come back to support Mean Green athletics since the 6 years it's been since Helwig was fired?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

If Dunham and UNT ever got too crossways they couldn't work together then Dunham would have his choice of college play-by-play gigs. He could probably leave us for a better paying gig right now, but he stays with UNT out of loyalty to his alma mater. Talk smack about traitor UNT alumni Craig Miller, not the wildly talented George Dunham. I love him more than Todd Dodge and Major Applewhite combined.

George was also pbp for the Desperados for a season, does the PA at Texas Stadium, and is one of the best college pbp men around. Not to mention, he has public recognition (at least in this area) far greater than most. To say George could someday do the Cowboys broadcast, is, IMHO, not a stretch.

With Jerry Jones doing the hiring, you could be right. The current Color Analyst seems to have a hard time completing a complete sentence on the air without stumbling. George is certainly better than that clown.

George is fine for the level at which we are currently at.