Time for Tune

Eagle Man

Second, Muzzy is a senior. He made a supid foolish mistake at a critical point in the contest. He should have known better and yes I would have yanked him from the game, period!

Alright "swallow man" I let the first comment on this thread slide but feel like I need to defend my son at this point.

The first punt by Ark.St was short but the roll took it down inside the 20 maybe even the 15 yd line.

Why was it not fielded?... Because everyone who has ever played the game and returned punts knows that if you can't get to it in the air or have a very favorable bounce you are supposed get away from it which is exactly what Zach did.

The coaches told him that if the next one was on the ground like that to not let it roll but instead, "attemp to field it so we don't give up so many yards on the roll". So, in my opinion it was poor coaching to put anyone in the position to attempt to field a rolling football because nobody including you "swallow man" can predict how a football is going to bounce. Did Zach feel bad about the muffed punt? Of course, was it all his fault? I don't think so because if he was allowed to do what he has always been taught to do with a rolling punt which is to get the hell away from it, the turnover would not have happened.

As far as it having any game changing impact on the outcome I guess it would have been 26-10 instead of 29-10 since the defense held them to a FG and the score was 10-10 after the turnover.

I've seen some of your finer post over on that other POS of a board and you fit in much better over there with the rest of the bitter little people who somehow feel better when badmouthing others.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, thanks for clarifying how bad our coaching really is. However, if I was a coach and a player on his own initiative and against my instructions attempted to field a punt bouncing across the turf I would still yank that player out of the game, period.

You know your post could fit well over on the other board. Food for thought.

Most coaching staffs will tell a player to sit on the 20 and if it goes over their head to fake the catch and let it go. No need to muff the punt and give the other team a really short field and momentum to boot. I thought it was stupid to put him on the 10 (in front of the section I was sitting in), because it allows almost no room for error. The defense did good in only allowing ASU to put up 3 instead of 7.

I felt sick when I saw Muzzy try to make that play. He's had a tough time at NT, but he tries hard no matter what. I just chalk up that bad decision (on the part of the coaching staff) with many of the others made during the game (4th and Goal on the 1 in the 4th Qtr anyone?).

Maybe you or our current coaching staff would not be able to evaluate Tune's ability during a five game stretch but I know I could and so could many of the posters on this board.

As to your bold and confident assertion as to the future well-being of the U.S. Thinking and making bets isn't very comforting, is it?

I think you should call the athletic department and tell them that chrisfisher and the entire UNT coaching staff do not know how to properly evaluate a QB, and that DD should put Tune in so GoMeenGreen.com members can evaluate him. That sounds like logical reasoning.

Yes, I have enormous confidence in the United States. We will overcome anything thrown at us.

I am not sure what your statement "thinking and making bets isn't comforting" is suppose to mean? Perhaps you are projecting??

Edited by chrisfisher

I just sent a PM to twodogs because I think it is ridiculous that some of you who make outlandish brash statements about players, coaches, AD's, ect, and you obviously have no clue about the game.

Some of you feel qualified to bash players and coaches, yet the closest you have ever been to the game, or a set of pads in your life is when you come the Fouts on Saturdays to get out of your little suburbian hole to have a few beers with guys in order to feel like a "real man" again, before you go back in Sunday to take your wife to Bed, Bath, & Beyond to go shop for curtains to match the couch in the living room.

Understand this, what goes on when you are between the lines is between the players and coaches. Before you criticize put yourself in the situation. Try fielding a punt, throwing a pass, making a tackle, ect. The shit aint all that easy!

I know some on this board have been between the lines, as have I, but many of you haven't, and for you people SHUT THE HELL UP when talking about players.

Bash coaches, play callign and all of that, but especially you have never put on the pads, leave players out of it. YOU REALLY DON'T HAVE A CLUE!

Hey, thanks for clarifying how bad our coaching really is. However, if I was a coach and a player on his own initiative and against my instructions attempted to field a punt bouncing across the turf I would still yank that player out of the game, period.

You know your post could fit well over on the other board. Food for thought.

Your last post it doesn't make sense... he was following the coaches instruction not his own initiative. He is still sick about not following his own initiative.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Ah, yes. I was going to defend Muzzy on that play. He did exactly what he should have done and that was to field/cover the ball at the 10; Any deeper and we would have really been in a hole. I replayed that several times and the ball simply took a bad bounce. After lower bounces, the final bounce was very high; well above Muzzy's head.

I think that if Muzzy was out at the 20 or inside the 5 he would have let the punt roll dead but in that no-man's land around the 10-15 yard line you have to fight for every possible yard.

Even if it were a bad decision, which I don't think it was, there is no reason to bash a player.

Would I be totally out of my mind in saying that Meager actually looked pretty good on Saturday?

Running and Throwing.

I came out of the game thinking "Meager may be getting it."

The TD pass was absolutely beautiful. Plus he showed he's got some serious speed in the open field.

The interception he sailed over Nwigwe's head was ugly, but I honestly thought he made some really good plays, especially in the first half. (Although he still can't seem to get the play off in time. He's got to keep working on that.)

But if the season's gone, I would just as soon see what Meager has. He's just a soph.

When I started this thread I made two points. The first concerned letting Tune get some playing experience for next year. I gave my reasons why I thought it was important. A couple of you responded in a civilized way pointing out the reasons why you disagreed. We had an honest debate.

Then there are some of you, who because you lack the proper reading, comprehension and communication skills simply attacked. In some instances in the past some of you have actually distorted the truth of what I have said with total disregard for integrity and honesty. I'am sure our new president must be very proud of the quality of education you exhibit.

It amazes me how some of you mention the "other" board in a derogatory manner as if somehow you are better than those who post over there. Let me tell you what the difference is between them and you. They are brutishly honest of who and what they are while you hide behind the gmg.com banner. You come out and attack and then hide behind the gmg.com banner with your friends, stroking each other for confidence and self esteem grateful you are not like those who post on the other board. Yeah right.

Furthermore, every day in Irag and Afghanistan college age Americans wake up to a nightmare not knowing if today is their last day on earth and if they will ever see their love ones again. Over in America on the gridirons we have college age kids whose self esteem is so fragile that we must never point out their mistakes made on the field in public least we destroy what confidence and self esteem they might possess. Sure, applaud the 57 yard TD or the 34 yard run from scrimmage but never mention the interception or fumble. This is political correctness and the feminization of America at its best. Are these kids really that thin-skinned? No! If Johnny believes 2+2=5 do we correct him at the risk of destroying his self esteem for eternity? These kids choose to participate in athletics and I dare say it is the parents who have the thin-skin. I know, I am a parent whose kids play sports. I stand by what I said regardless of who was at fault. If it was the coaches then this confirms what I and others have been saying about the incompetence in the athletic department for the last 5 and 1/2 years.

Probably the most foolish and absurd comment I read concerned the ludicrous assertion that only those who are now playing football or have played football have the right to comment about a players performance. Something to that extent.

This is an example of where the "dumb jock" label came from and it is this exact attitude that played a roll in some students starting a movement to abolish football in the early 1970's and it is the fuel that sustains those who are anti-athletic today. With that illogical thinking only politicians would be able to what?....right, comment about other politicians. Lets try another one. And only doctors could...point out flaws of other doctors. See if you can get this one on your own. What would be the prerequisite for becoming a sports writer? Thats pretty tough, I know.

This is my last post in this thread but not my last on this board.

Most coaching staffs will tell a player to sit on the 20 and if it goes over their head to fake the catch and let it go.  No need to muff the punt and give the other team a really short field and momentum to boot.  I thought it was stupid to put him on the 10 (in front of the section I was sitting in), because it allows almost no room for error.  The defense did good in only allowing ASU to put up 3 instead of 7.

Most coaches tell players to sit on the 10, not the 20.

I'll respond to each of your points.

We need to find out now if our new coach will need to recruit a top high school QB this recruiting season.

I would hope our coach would go after a top high school QB every year regardless of what we have coming back. Most of the top programs do this. Look at UT for instance, McCoy was returning as a RS Freshmen, yet Brown still signs Snead out of Stephenville, one of the top QB recruits in the nation.

Screw the red shirt let the kid show us what he's got. If he proves worthy then we have him for 3 solid years.

Burning a redshirt on a young man when our OL is having a difficult time providing protection is ridiculous. Honestly, I don't want Tune exposed to our coaching staff more than he has to be. It appears that Meager, Wilson and Phillips have all regressed.

The other three QB's are more D1AA in my most humble opinion.

I would hold off judgement until they receive proper coaching.

Also, if I were the head coach last Saturday night Muzzy would have been pulled from the game and delegated to the bench until the contest was over, period!

Considering the coach instructed him to field the punt to keep from giving up additional yardage on the roll, maybe you should yank the Special Teams coach.

Please try to keep you political views from clouding your opinions. This is a sport's board afterall.

Would I be totally out of my mind in saying that Meager actually looked pretty good on Saturday?

Running and Throwing.

I came out of the game thinking "Meager may be getting it."

The TD pass was absolutely beautiful. Plus he showed he's got some serious speed in the open field.

The interception he sailed over Nwigwe's head was ugly, but I honestly thought he made some really good plays, especially in the first half. (Although he still can't seem to get the play off in time. He's got to keep working on that.)

But if the season's gone, I would just as soon see what Meager has. He's just a soph.

I saw some good plays from Meager and I saw some bad plays. I recall one series, in particular, in which Meager fell down on 1st, fumbled the snap on second and (I think) he threw a pick on 3rd. The specifics escape me because I've tried to block it out of my mind but it was bad, bad, bad.

However, I will say that Meager had some good passes and some nice runs. That being said, Rex Grossman had some nice passes in his dismal 2-fumble, 4-interception performance last Monday night against Arizona.

I am at a loss for what to do with the remainder of this season. Meager has the most experience and no one else has really stepped up to take advantage of the playing time they've been given this season. I think Phillips is a better "game" player than he is a "practice" player and Woody...well, it all revolves around the O-line. If we can't pass-block then it doesn't matter who's behind center. Woody needs a little protection, before it can break down and he can scramble up the field.

Everyone is already suggesting that we go after a top QB recruit this season. While I think we need to recruit top QB prospects each and every year, I think a stronger emphasis needs to be placed on recruiting offensive linemen. I think everyone on this board has enough football savvy to know that any offense on any level revolves around the o-line. We can't run the ball because we can't block. We can't pass the ball, because teams aren't concerned about the run...because we can't block. Play-action passes don't work when teams aren't concerned about the run. QBs can't find receivers when they're lying on their backs.

And we don't necessarily have to recruit beef to be successful. Denver consistently has one of the smallest o-lines in the NFL, yet their rushing attack is generally one of the league's best year-in and year-out. They excel with their speed and pull blocking schemes.

Ok, that's my rant for now.

Probably the most foolish and absurd comment I read concerned the ludicrous assertion that only those who are now playing football or have played football have the right to comment about a players performance. Something to that extent.

This is an example of where the "dumb jock" label came from and it is this exact attitude that played a roll in some students starting a movement to abolish football in the early 1970's and it is the fuel that sustains those who are anti-athletic today. With that illogical thinking only politicians would be able to what?....right, comment about other politicians. Lets try another one. And only doctors could...point out flaws of other doctors. See if you can get this one on your own. What would be the prerequisite for becoming a sports writer? Thats pretty tough, I know.

My point was simply that if you do not know the basics of what you are talking about, you do not have the authority to attack a player's flaw.

If you want to use the math example, 2+2=5, you are right, you can correct that person if you can do math.

BUT, if you can't do math you have no room to talk to him.

If you have never been between the lines, you have no business ripping a player for a mistake he made between the lines. They are out there doing something that you have no experience with, therefore you have no credibility.

Enough said...nothing about being a jock, I would not judge an accountant on their practices at work if I wasn't an accountant

My point was simply that if you do not know the basics of what you are talking about, you do not have the authority to attack a player's flaw.

If you want to use the math example, 2+2=5, you are right, you can correct that person if you can do math.

BUT, if you can't do math you have no room to talk to him.

If you have never been between the lines, you have no business ripping a player for a mistake he made between the lines.  They are out there doing something that you have no experience with, therefore you have no credibility.

Enough said...nothing about being a jock, I would not judge an accountant on their practices at work if I wasn't an accountant

Sorry but this is the MOST MISUSED comeback when it comes to football, basketball, etc.

It’s always amazing how someone will finally pull out the “if you didn’t play you can’t comment card. Let me ask a question – If you played High School, but not College then I guess it’s OK to comment on High School??? So people who played in College but did not make it to the Pro’s can only make educated comments about the college game??????

We me guess you never give your opinion on ….

Basketball

Baseball

Hockey

NFL Football

Politics

The war in Iraq

The weather

The list could go on and on and on

I guess your also one of the people who thinks Mel Kiper should not be used by ESPN

This is awesome. I'll never have to write another internal affairs letter in my career. I can sum up my response to every complaint with "There's no way that was police brutality, unprofessional service, derelection of duty, etc because these citizens have never been police officers. They don't know what they're talking about."