Favorite Bonfire & Homecoming Photo thread.

FirefightnRick

Few folks outside the NT family have ever seen photo's of our Bonfire, the largest, hand-built bonfire around. There have been many impressive structures built over the years so I ask if you have any photos of bonfire or homecoming to share them here on this thread.

user posted image

I believe this photo is from either the '01 or '02 Bonfire.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Ok,  let me be dumb bonfire guy for a moment.    I keep reading "largest hand built bonfire in Texas",  but since A&M gave up on bonfires would ours now be considered largest bonfire period?

Probably so. A&M's did not apply to the term "Hand Built" because they used industrial fork lifts and crane equipment to build theirs, which initially is why they don't have one anymore I suppose?

The only other university I know of anywhere near the metroplex that still does a bonfire for homecoming is Tarleton and it's no where near the size of NT's. This year NT's will be smaller than usual because of the restriction this year due to the drought. I have no idea what the restriction is suppose to prevent from happening, maybe too much light into the regional space after dark? I don't know. But it's better than nothing.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The 2001 Bonfire was definitly the biggest one - partially by accident - of recent memory.  And that thing was hotter than hell, even as Bonfires go.

That would be of the first photo I posted by the way. Would you say about 35 yards in width and possibly 35 feet high? I don't have any night photos of it but the one from '89 or '90 was extremely tall compared to the current ones. MiniCooper can probably remember better than me how large that was, but the '01 definately was the largest.

Rick

I was thinking maybe 40+ feet wide and somewhere around 30 feet high. I believe that was the year Gus came out and said ---

"There can be nothing over this"

---- While pointing to a rod that was sticking out of one of the poles. I went one level over that, just enough to hide said rod. laugh.gif

user posted image

MeanGreenMiniCooper took this of the '04 Bonfire, which is my favorite.

Rick

was this the one that was so hot it started melting the paint of cars parked on the bonnie brae side of the radisson? I thought I remembered them telling everyone to move their cars that were parked over there.

Either way, the 2004 one was one of my personal faves as well. lots of people turned out, was a great time

Edited by Eagle1855

was this the one that was so hot it started melting the paint of cars parked on the bonnie brae side of the radisson? I thought I remembered them telling everyone to move their cars that were parked over there.

Actually we warned ppl of that every year as far back as '96(I'm sure longer, but that would be pre-my era). Apparently the magnets on the Denton firetruck that babysat the fire routinely melted off, but I heard that 2nd hand.

Edited by CMJ

• 2 weeks later...