What is Wrong With The Tennis Team?

UNTLifer

I am not going into personal attacks and feel it is unwarranted.

Dawna was/is a very intense coach and wants to win. So I would not say she is lazy, I think alot of times her emotions got to her, but she was put into a tough situation taking a D1 Tennis program with no experience. Learning on the fly is tough, I was lucky to have had a great tutor in Vicki Markowsky at SHSU to learn the ins and out of college Tennis and recruting. Dawna was never afforded that opportunity and basically was thrown into the Deep end and had to sink or swim. She did well for 5 years but I think she hit a ceiling on the improvement of the team.

I would hope she learns from her experience at UNT and if she wants to takes another position somewhere else and does well.

Not a personal attack - just job analysis. If you had been to a match you might have heard her say she knew nothing about the oponent's team - showing that she didn't bother to look up their record or their strong areas. No preparation.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what about Kim Kettleson?

I am not sure about Kim Kettleson, I just threw his name out there. I know in 2000 he applied for the SHSU job when it opened but they did not interview b/c he did not have a Master's, their loss personally.

I would hope he would apply but with the UT-Arlington and SHSU jobs both open currently there will be some good competition in order to get the best candidate.

As far as job level right now UTA would be the prime pick due to level of success.

UNT has a new facility, but SHSU pays more and they have a very active and supportive AD when it regards tennis and reaching out to the community.

I am not sure about Kim Kettleson, I just threw his name out there. I know in 2000 he applied for the SHSU job when it opened but they did not interview b/c he did not have a Master's, their loss personally.

I would hope he would apply but with the UT-Arlington and SHSU jobs both open currently there will be some good competition in order to get the best candidate.

As far as job level right now UTA would be the prime pick due to level of success.

UNT has a new facility, but SHSU pays more and they have a very active and supportive AD when it regards tennis and reaching out to the community.

Do you know anything about possible applicants from the Pac 10 and Big 10 that have left their schools recently?

Latest news I have heard is they have extended interviews to whom I do not know, should be interresting on who they hire. The coach should have 1-2 scholarships available to recruit with, although it is getting late on the recruiting scene.

Latest news I have heard is they have extended interviews to whom I do not know, should be interresting on who they hire. The coach should have 1-2 scholarships available to recruit with, although it is getting late on the recruiting scene.

I heard the coach would have 3-4 scholarships to fill. Did they fill some already? Also, do you know when they are supposed to make a decision?

I heard the coach would have 3-4 scholarships to fill. Did they fill some already? Also, do you know when they are supposed to make a decision?

3-4 means more than 1 player is not returning.

They graduate 1 (Ingrid) and I heard one was leaving. I sure hope it is not 3-4.

For all you DP fans out there saying how much she brought down the program, and did such a horrible job at NT in the "arm pit" of a conference, it is to my understanding that yall must be the only ones to think she did such a horrible job. She must be good to have been picked up by a Big 12 Tennis program rank within the top 5 of the nation. So she can’t be doing as bad of a job as yall made it out to be.

I for one am proud that Dawna is onto bigger and better things, and I bet soon yall will be biting your tongues wishing she were back at North Texas.

For all you DP fans out there saying how much she brought down the program, and did such a horrible job at NT in the "arm pit" of a conference, it is to my understanding that yall must be the only ones to think she did such a horrible job. She must be good to have been picked up by a Big 12 Tennis program rank within the top 5 of the nation. So she can’t be doing as bad of a job as yall made it out to be.

I for one am proud that Dawna is onto bigger and better things, and I bet soon yall will be biting your tongues wishing she were back at North Texas.

Go LadyGreen! I couldn't agree with you more... at least there is someone out there who supports her besides me!

Oh well, best of luck to her as an Assistant @ Baylor. Obviously you never had to work with her, just ask her four previous Assistant Coaches and players. ph34r.gif

kinda surprising hire considering who they had in prior (a former Top 25 NCAA player from UT).

Oh well lets see if UNT can make a good hire.

I am and many others will not be biting our tongues, this next hire will be all RV.

Edited by untbowler

Oh well, best of luck to her as an Assistant @ Baylor. Obviously you never had to work with her, just ask her four previous Assistant Coaches and players. ph34r.gif

kinda surprising hire considering who they had in prior (a former Top 25 NCAA player from UT).

I am and many others will not be biting our tongues, this next hire will be all RV.

its awfully easy to criticize from here... good luck to her and on to bigger and better things at UNT!

I dont need to ask previous assistant coaches, or players. I have worked with her more then you ever have and I have never had any problems with her.

I dont need to ask previous assistant coaches, or players. I have worked with her more then you ever have and I have never had any problems with her.

I agree... I know many people who either worked with her or played for her who had no problem with her. And yes I attended some of the matches and watched her. She did fine! I hope she is very successful at Baylor!

That has to be the most ill-informed comment yet on this subject. If she got the job it was because of her sales skills - the same sales skills she used on recruits who found out later what she was all about. Too bad for Baylor - look for them to have shin splints and wrist injuries.

Oh well, best of luck to her as an Assistant @ Baylor. Obviously you never had to work with her, just ask her four previous Assistant Coaches and players. :ph34r:

Isn't Baylor the place where a player was discovered to be a foreign pro and suspended for a year? I wonder if Baylor is also looking for a new AD?

Isn't Baylor the place where a player was discovered to be a foreign pro and suspended for a year?    I wonder if Baylor is also looking for a new AD?

Your talking about the Baylor Men, they have been exonerated everytime it gets brought up, also reason why NCAA changed the age loophole since many of the players were going out and playing ATP Tournaments and with Foreign players they could earn money there and also in the Club Tennis thru out Europe.

It is similar to the women, but they are not as rampant, but Baylor is basically a mini-Czech national team.

Rumor has it the Arizona freshman won her transfer appeal over the AD who was trying to prevent her from playing next year, so she won't be back.  Real nice move by our AD.

She did get released, or so I heard. Good luck to her. I have also heard that if a coach resignes the AD cannot keep anyone if they wanted to leave.

I agree... I know many people who either worked with her or played for her who had no problem with her.I hope she is very successful at Baylor!

One has to wonder why so many players left then during her five years.

Lost one going into 2001 to SFA, one going into 2002 transfer to NW Region, 1 going into 2003 believe stayed home, lost one headed in 2005 at last second, lost one at the end of Fall 2005. Lose another at end of 05-06, plus one who was ready to leave after only one semester. Yes tennis has a lot of transfers but that is a large amount.

Plus there was not an overly glowing endorsement from the previous coach.

Main reason she is gone probably is due to the lack of progression of the program compared to other programs of similar level at the time.

Oh well gone now and best of luck with Baylor.

One has to wonder why so many players left then during her five years.

Lost one going into 2001 to SFA, one going into 2002 transfer to NW Region, 1 going into 2003 believe stayed home, lost one headed in 2005 at last second, lost one at the end of Fall 2005. Lose another at end of 05-06, plus one who was ready to leave after only one semester. Yes tennis has a lot of transfers but that is a large amount.

Plus there was not an overly glowing endorsement from the previous coach.

Main reason she is gone probably is due to the lack of progression of the program compared to other programs of similar level at the time.

Oh well gone now and best of luck with Baylor.

Why do you say gone? She was not fired, she left. She had one bad year and you jump all over her. Give it a rest. You with the rest of them are a bunch a fair weathered fans, if there is one bad season - fire them! Come on give it a rest already and lay your personal feelings aside for once.

fair-weather fan, your opinion, or not I do not count the success by wins and losses. You can schedule Tx State, Lamar, Idaho level schools plus a few JUCO's and there are you wins.

Look at how UNT compares to other schools and the progression.

UNT should be ahead of Arkansas State and UALR but they have lost to them regularly.

I hope they would have been able to hang in and follow Denver's lead but they blew past us. At least the team did not lose to UNO again. Still could not get by NMSU. They lost to SHSU who was behind UNT years ago.

Finally hope they would have at some point been competitive with a Top 75 program but 6-1, 7-0 losses are not competitive.

Again much like Football and Basketball if your left wanting more your just a fair-weather fan. Guess I'll just deal with the shame of being labeled a fair-weather fan sad.gif

Why do you say gone? She was not fired, she left. She had one bad year and you jump all over her. Give it a rest. You with the rest of them are a bunch a fair weathered fans, if there is one bad season - fire them! Come on give it a rest already and lay your personal feelings aside for once.

First, this has to be a world record thread for NT tennis. IMO the former coach was hired with little experience and probably was not ready at that point. She was available and probably relatively cheap. The building of the new tennis center greatly raised the antee in a sport that was at best an afterthought at NT in the past. A question to your point about one bad season, when was her good season? I don't recall NT ever finishing in the first half in the Belt and imo NT must at least strive for the top of the conference(no matter how bad you think it is).

Did she have the necessary tools and budget to be successful? I have no idea, but I doubt that she had great support. Hopefully, as is often the case; the new coach will be better supported. This may not be fair but is a normal progression. I wish her the best of luck and think that being an assistant at a top ranked school could pay great dividends in her career.

fair-weather fan, your opinion, or not I do not count the success by wins and losses. You can schedule Tx State, Lamar, Idaho level schools plus a few JUCO's and there are you wins.

Look at how UNT compares to other schools and the progression.

UNT should be ahead of Arkansas State and UALR but they have lost to them regularly.

I hope they would have been able to hang in and follow Denver's lead but they blew past us. At least the team did not lose to UNO again. Still could not get by NMSU. They lost to SHSU who was behind UNT years ago.

Finally hope they would have at some point been competitive with a Top 75 program but 6-1, 7-0 losses are not competitive.

Again much like Football and Basketball if your left wanting more your just a fair-weather fan. Guess I'll just deal with the shame of being labeled a fair-weather fan  sad.gif

GET OVER DENVER!!! Stop comparing UNT to Denver... It's different. Team, Coach, Town, Atmosphere!!!

Do you really think she resigned so she could be the secretary/assistant at Baylor?

She got fired - give it a rest. Big pressure on RV now - another royal screw up and he'll be an assistant at Baylor too.