What is Wrong With The Tennis Team?

UNTLifer

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what about Kim Kettleson?

I am not sure about Kim Kettleson, I just threw his name out there. I know in 2000 he applied for the SHSU job when it opened but they did not interview b/c he did not have a Master's, their loss personally.

I would hope he would apply but with the UT-Arlington and SHSU jobs both open currently there will be some good competition in order to get the best candidate.

As far as job level right now UTA would be the prime pick due to level of success.

UNT has a new facility, but SHSU pays more and they have a very active and supportive AD when it regards tennis and reaching out to the community.

Zimmerman would be a perfect fit for the job, but IMO he is better suited for SHSU which would actually pay for a good coach, and if you read their job description they expect their coach to be visible in the community, which he has been by trying to expand tennis in Denton and its schools.

Not sure about the no release clause, may need you to shoot me a PM on it, I think I know what you're talking about but not sure.

(If it is what I think it is then it is new, b/c it I can think of 2 players who left not on their own account, one transferred to SFA for Sr. year and the other went home after a year of basic hell and demotions)

Edited by untbowler

TJC, NCTC, SHSU? wow is this the best a DIV 1 University with a brand new tennis facility can do? Just wondering, I'm not saying these are not OK choices but any thoughts on getting a better D1 head  or assistant coach to come? just a thought....

well it will be a lot better than bringing someone that has absolutely no experience, like the previous coach.

As for Kim Kettleson, he basically runs the Tennis Tech school at TJC, plus he was an asstistant at UT.

Zimmerman has coaching experience at NCAA and NJCAA level

Shankles though out of coaching now, developed new program in Colorado, and brought a bad Sam Houston State team to respectability. Also SHSU beat UNT this year without 2 of their Top 6 healthy.

All of them have recruiting ties that would help immdeiately.

TJC is also better than many D1 schools.

In order to get a better D1 HC then the department will have to shell out some money which outside of Football and Basketball seem relunctant, unwilling, or unable to pay.

TJC, NCTC, SHSU? wow is this the best a DIV 1 University with a brand new tennis facility can do? Just wondering, I'm not saying these are not OK choices but any thoughts on getting a better D1 head  or assistant coach to come? just a thought....

do you think that RV will look more locally versus nationally for a HC? wouldn't someone with HC coaching experience be more qualified than a JuCo coach?

do you think that RV will look more locally versus nationally for a HC? wouldn't someone with HC coaching experience be more qualified than a JuCo coach?

Depends on the school and coach.

For instance you can take a HC from another school that did average or a JUCO that is consistently ranked Top 5 in the nation and has players that are always sought after by NCAA schools, i.e. Broward had a girl picked up by TCU (Top 15 program), Tyler had 2 girls picked-up by UNT and in previous years by Arkansas and Texas A&M.

I would be more inclined to recruit a girl from TJC, Lee, Broward, or NCTC (4 girls went to NCAA schools after last year 2-E Washington, 1-ULM, 1-Lynn #5 D2) versus say CCCC (good but not great women) or Johnson CC (KS).

A JUCO coach can be just as good as a D1 head coach, I believe it is Jason Haynes at Lee CC near Houston would also be a good pick if willing to move.

Depends on the school and coach.

For instance you can take a HC from another school that did average or a JUCO that is consistently ranked Top 5 in the nation and has players that are always sought after by NCAA schools, i.e. Broward had a girl picked up by TCU (Top 15 program), Tyler had 2 girls picked-up by UNT and in previous years by Arkansas and Texas A&M.

I would be more inclined to recruit a girl from TJC, Lee, Broward, or NCTC (4 girls went to NCAA schools after last year 2-E Washington, 1-ULM, 1-Lynn #5 D2) versus say CCCC (good but not great women) or Johnson CC (KS).

A JUCO coach can be just as good as a D1 head coach, I believe it is Jason Haynes at Lee CC near Houston would also be a good pick if willing to move.

I saw yesterday that U of Colorado terminated the men's program for lack of funding. Had to raise 1mm to cover next 3 years by deadline, only able to raise 500k, and only 100k paid in to date. Now there's another candidate that is available, and players too. Don't know if either would work out here, but it is a big conference school playing big competition.........does someone need to be on a plane to check it out face to face? unsure.gif

I saw yesterday that U of Colorado terminated the men's program for lack of funding.  Had to raise 1mm to cover next 3 years by deadline, only able to raise 500k, and only 100k paid in to date. Now there's another candidate that is available, and players too.  Don't know if either would work out here, but it is a big conference school playing big competition.........does someone need to be on a plane to check it out face to face? unsure.gif

unfortunately it is only the men's program and not the women's program. The coach would be nice, but we could not dress any of their guys up in skirts and play them biggrin.gif .

Pretty pathetic on the part of the CU AD and President. The team finish this year ranked #23 in the nation. Very similar to Kansas dumping their program a few years back while ranked Top 20 in the country.

Guess all those lawsuits mean less chance for men's athletics.

CU also is not at the NCAA minimum of 16 Varsity Sports.

Just sad to see another MEN's program go away.

here is the Colorado Coaches Bio: Very Impressive IMO.

Sam Winterbotham enters his fourth season as the Colorado men’s tennis head coach continuing to build the Buffaloes into a competitive program not just among his Big 12 Conference peers, but on a national level.

In his previous three years in Boulder, Winterbotham is taking CU to new heights. With an exciting approach on the sideline, he is developing the men’s tennis program into a well-respected group of student-athletes among the nation.

“I have a fine group of men that really care about CU,” said Winterbotham. “They train and work hard at practices. They really are a lot of fun.”

Last season, Coach Winterbotham and his young Buffaloes were nationally ranked the entire spring season that saw 19 nationally ranked opponents grace the spring schedule. Despite a team not having one senior, CU remained steady throughout the dual campaign ranked as high as No. 43 and finishing No. 59. It’s their highest ranking in the ITA polls since the 1995-96 season.

The 2005 spring saw the Buffs tally five impressive wins over the nation’s elite teams defeating No. 15 Harvard, No. 33 New Mexico (twice), No. 47 Oklahoma, and No. 66 Nebraska. In conference play, CU won a pair of matches to finish the regular season tied for fifth. Prior to dual match play, Winterbotham guided the Buffaloes to their second straight appearance at the Mountain Region Indoor Playoff. Seeded No. 4 a year ago, CU improved it’s placing in the Fall of 2004 with a No. 3 regional ranking.

Individually, senior Marko Bundalo, who earned All-Big 12 singles honors among the conference coaches cracked the ITA’s elite singles ranking finishing the spring at No. 99 nationally. Bundalo won a team-best 20 victories was also awarded the ITA Mountain Region Player to Watch (awarded to a student-athlete having an outstanding season and is expected to perform at a high level for his remaining collegiate career).

During his previous two seasons in Boulder, Winterbotham guided the youthful Buffs to a pair of sixth place finishes in the 2003 and 2004 Big 12 standings, respectively. In addition, to 2004, Winterbotham coached current junior Peter Bjork to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Region VII Rookie of the Year.

Winterbotham has also made an immediate mark on the CU program, being selected as one of six members to represent the Mountain Region on the ITA Region VII Committee.

“The University of Colorado has an excellent athletic department ... one of the best in the country,” said Winterbotham. “I am proud to be a part of it and my goal is to build a tennis program that competes at the highest level, consistently fighting for championships at the conference and national levels.”

Prior to coming to Boulder, Winterbotham spent the previous three years at Baylor helping the Bears become a national power in the collegiate game. In addition to assisting the Bears with the day-to-day operation, Winterbotham was responsible for recruiting one of the best teams in the nation that eventually won the first national championship in Baylor history Baylor, as the Bears were crowned NCAA Champions in 2004.

While at Baylor, Winterbotham was named the 2002 Region VI Assistant Coach of the Year after helping the Bears win the Big 12 regular season and conference tournament. Baylor advanced to the 2002 NCAA Sweet 16 and finished the season ranked seventh nationally.

Prior to his stint at Baylor, Winterbotham attended Oklahoma Christian University in Oklahoma City where he was a four-year NAIA All-American. In 1997, he won top honors as the NAIA Rolex National Singles Champion.

At OCU, Winterbotham also was the 1999 Sooner Athletic Conference Player of the Year in soccer, where he was named to the all-region first team and honorable mention all-America team. He graduated in April 1999 with a degree in marketing and was honored as OCU’s international business student of the year for 1999. He is currently pursuing a master’s degree in sports management.

A native of Stoke on Trent, Great Britain, Winterbotham is a certified LTA Tennis Professional (LTA is Great Britain’s USTA). As a player, he played numerous professional tournaments at the Future/Satellite level, was ranked as one of the top juniors in Great Britain.

Born Oct. 1, 1973, he is married to the former Tara McClure, a native of Asher, Oklahoma. The Winterbotham’s have two daughters, Zoe and Ryann.

Would be an awesome catch but a very long shot, I am thinking UNT might want a female coach.

here is the Colorado Coaches Bio: Very Impressive  IMO.

Sam Winterbotham enters his fourth season as the Colorado men’s tennis head coach continuing to build the Buffaloes into a competitive program not just among his Big 12 Conference peers, but on a national level.

In his previous three years in Boulder, Winterbotham is taking CU to new heights. With an exciting approach on the sideline, he is developing the men’s tennis program into a well-respected group of student-athletes among the nation.

“I have a fine group of men that really care about CU,” said Winterbotham. “They train and work hard at practices. They really are a lot of fun.”

Last season, Coach Winterbotham and his young Buffaloes were nationally ranked the entire spring season that saw 19 nationally ranked opponents grace the spring schedule. Despite a team not having one senior, CU remained steady throughout the dual campaign ranked as high as No. 43 and finishing No. 59. It’s their highest ranking in the ITA polls since the 1995-96 season.

The 2005 spring saw the Buffs tally five impressive wins over the nation’s elite teams defeating No. 15 Harvard, No. 33 New Mexico (twice), No. 47 Oklahoma, and No. 66 Nebraska. In conference play, CU won a pair of matches to finish the regular season tied for fifth. Prior to dual match play, Winterbotham guided the Buffaloes to their second straight appearance at the Mountain Region Indoor Playoff. Seeded No. 4 a year ago, CU improved it’s placing in the Fall of 2004 with a No. 3 regional ranking.

Individually, senior Marko Bundalo, who earned All-Big 12 singles honors among the conference coaches cracked the ITA’s elite singles ranking finishing the spring at No. 99 nationally. Bundalo won a team-best 20 victories was also awarded the ITA Mountain Region Player to Watch (awarded to a student-athlete having an outstanding season and is expected to perform at a high level for his remaining collegiate career).

During his previous two seasons in Boulder, Winterbotham guided the youthful Buffs to a pair of sixth place finishes in the 2003 and 2004 Big 12 standings, respectively. In addition, to 2004, Winterbotham coached current junior Peter Bjork to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Region VII Rookie of the Year.

Winterbotham has also made an immediate mark on the CU program, being selected as one of six members to represent the Mountain Region on the ITA Region VII Committee.

“The University of Colorado has an excellent athletic department ... one of the best in the country,” said Winterbotham. “I am proud to be a part of it and my goal is to build a tennis program that competes at the highest level, consistently fighting for championships at the conference and national levels.”

Prior to coming to Boulder, Winterbotham spent the previous three years at Baylor helping the Bears become a national power in the collegiate game. In addition to assisting the Bears with the day-to-day operation, Winterbotham was responsible for recruiting one of the best teams in the nation that eventually won the first national championship in Baylor history Baylor, as the Bears were crowned NCAA Champions in 2004.

While at Baylor, Winterbotham was named the 2002 Region VI Assistant Coach of the Year after helping the Bears win the Big 12 regular season and conference tournament. Baylor advanced to the 2002 NCAA Sweet 16 and finished the season ranked seventh nationally.

Prior to his stint at Baylor, Winterbotham attended Oklahoma Christian University in Oklahoma City where he was a four-year NAIA All-American. In 1997, he won top honors as the NAIA Rolex National Singles Champion.

At OCU, Winterbotham also was the 1999 Sooner Athletic Conference Player of the Year in soccer, where he was named to the all-region first team and honorable mention all-America team. He graduated in April 1999 with a degree in marketing and was honored as OCU’s international business student of the year for 1999. He is currently pursuing a master’s degree in sports management.

A native of Stoke on Trent, Great Britain, Winterbotham is a certified LTA Tennis Professional (LTA is Great Britain’s USTA). As a player, he played numerous professional tournaments at the Future/Satellite level, was ranked as one of the top juniors in Great Britain.

Born Oct. 1, 1973, he is married to the former Tara McClure, a native of Asher, Oklahoma. The Winterbotham’s have two daughters, Zoe and Ryann.

Would be an awesome catch but a very long shot, I am thinking UNT might want a female coach.

Well, I saw this too, and what jumped out was the Texas (Baylor), and Okla. roots, as well as his desire to pursue MBA in Sports Management, which I happen to think is a pretty good program at UNT. Your point is well taken on men vs. women, however. Seems to have spent career in men program.

Well, I saw this too, and what jumped out was the Texas (Baylor), and Okla. roots, as well as his desire to pursue MBA in Sports Management, which I happen to think is a pretty good program at UNT.  Your point is well taken on men vs. women, however. Seems to have spent career in men program.

I bet he could make a good transition though into the women's game, he has awesome credentials with playing background and then basically resurrecting the Colorado program, still feel horrible that all of his work went for not.

I bet he could make a good transition though into the women's game, he has awesome credentials with playing background and then basically resurrecting the Colorado program, still feel horrible that all of his work went for not.

Well, in case this happens to have flown under RV's radar , you got an inside channel to give them all heads up? Never know until he is asked.........

Well, in case this happens to have flown under RV's radar , you got an inside channel to give them all heads up?  Never know until he is asked.........

Well unfortunately he is probably under contract until after the NCAA Championships, he has a singles player who advanced into the tournament and that does not even start until mid next week.

Wonder if RV or anyone follows the board still or if they think we are blowing to much smoke??

Well unfortunately he is probably under contract until after the NCAA Championships, he has a singles player who advanced into the tournament and that does not even start until mid next week.

Wonder if RV or anyone follows the board still or if they think we are blowing to much smoke??

I'm new enough to the blog I couldn't say, but from some of the posts I've seen in past few months, there is a lot of smoke (or something) to blow through.... but, in that smoke there is some pretty good insight and theory, and some pretty accurate speculation-turned-fact. I would like to think they do follow the pulse of the board, it is just one more information tool that is out there.....several of us appear to be very close to the subjects we write about. wink.gif

I hope NT gets the best person for the job. I thought DP did the best job she could with what she was given. Any thoughts of where she will go?

DP was lazy - didn't scout the opposition - could have won more matches with better preparation. Had enough talent to win but demoralized the team with her repulsive behavior. Had zero interpersonal skills and little common courtesy. Her assistant would have had a better record this year as head coach. Our AD would be wise to consider a male coach if a good one like Colorado is available.

I hope NT gets the best person for the job. I thought DP did the best job she could with what she was given. Any thoughts of where she will go?

I am not sure I understand your comment?

Coach Traxler did just as much as DP but with less pay (he was considered Part-time) and worse facilities and when they came in lesser recruits.

So not sure about your comment, DP had the best chance of any NT Tennis coach.

Coaches have applied from the PAC 10 and Big 10.  Do not know who they are or if they come from decent programs.

ohmy.gif

hmm interesting, hopefully RV and company will be willing to shell out and also allow the coach to actively recruit all areas and not just stateside.

DP was lazy - didn't scout the opposition - could have won more matches with better preparation.  Had enough talent to win but demoralized the team with her repulsive behavior.  Had zero interpersonal skills and little common courtesy.  Her assistant would have had a better record this year as head coach.  Our AD would be wise to consider a male coach if a good one like Colorado is available.

I totally disagree with your comment. I believe DP did all she could with what she had. It just wasn't a good year. She def. wasn't lazy. She had a lot injured, and not because of all the running they did because they didn't run that much this spring season, so I have heard. She just had a rough year.

hmm interesting, hopefully RV and company will be willing to shell out and also allow the coach to actively recruit all areas and not just stateside.

I hope they can find some US recruits. I know that the really good teams have all foreign players, but give the americans a chance too. There are many americans out there that are just as good. Not to say I'm against the foreigners or anything, but come on where are we living? DP did a good job of looking at americans first then foreigners.

I hope they can find some US recruits. I know that the really good teams have all foreign players, but give the americans a chance too. There are many americans out there that are just as good. Not to say I'm against the foreigners or anything, but come on where are we living? DP did a good job of looking at americans first then foreigners.

I don't advocate going all foreign, but only maybe 5 teams nationwide can win with all americans. I think a good mix is getting 1-2 Foreign players who can step right in and play #1 or #2.

I love UNT but we are not in position to be able to get a Top American that can win consistently at the Top of the line-up. For instance Lynley Wasson is a good player but ideally she should be playing around #3 or 4.

I can not stand teams that recruit all foreign (i.e Baylor, USA, UNO, UALR, Troy), but there are far to many players out there who want to play, I have see way to many american players basically get a scholarship and then just float thru rather than really show a love for the game and want to play.

DP was lazy - didn't scout the opposition - could have won more matches with better preparation.  Had enough talent to win but demoralized the team with her repulsive behavior.  Had zero interpersonal skills and little common courtesy.  Her assistant would have had a better record this year as head coach.  Our AD would be wise to consider a male coach if a good one like Colorado is available.

I am not going into personal attacks and feel it is unwarranted.

Dawna was/is a very intense coach and wants to win. So I would not say she is lazy, I think alot of times her emotions got to her, but she was put into a tough situation taking a D1 Tennis program with no experience. Learning on the fly is tough, I was lucky to have had a great tutor in Vicki Markowsky at SHSU to learn the ins and out of college Tennis and recruting. Dawna was never afforded that opportunity and basically was thrown into the Deep end and had to sink or swim. She did well for 5 years but I think she hit a ceiling on the improvement of the team.

I would hope she learns from her experience at UNT and if she wants to takes another position somewhere else and does well.