What is Wrong With The Tennis Team?

UNTLifer

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just out of curiosity, have you been to an NT match this season?

saw a little of the UNT tournament back in the Fall, work, family and other commitments kept me away this spring. Caught a few matches last year.

Had hoped to catch the SHSU/UNT match but rain forced it indoors.

You mentioned that you had coached before. If you don't mind my asking where did you coach and why aren't you still coaching?

2 yrs Asst SHSU, 1 yr Asst UNT (mid-year switch from Traxler to Prevette as coach), stopped after SunBelt 2001 due to Graduation and a family illness, plus it just was not much fun anymore at the time.

Miss it sometimes but not the travel.

Poor Dawna ran into a buzzsaw in the match in 99' played Vladka Uhlirova, who subsequently transferred to UT and finished Top 30 in the nation.

The team was lackluster this year but the talent is there.

Have the #2 player from SW Zone, a former 5A state champion, #2 JUCO player, young but talented English player, another SW Zone player.

Did not help losing 2 of their top 6 at semester one to injury and one to transfer.

Edited by untbowler

so what do you think is the primary problem with the team this year and what do you think will be the most prominent problem with the team next year??

what are your ideas on recruiting and the current team members' strength and weaknesses?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just now getting into college tennis.

so what do you think is the primary problem with the team this year and what do you think will be the most prominent problem with the team next year??

what are your ideas on recruiting and the current team members' strength and weaknesses?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just now getting into college tennis.

This year look like injuries and a depleted roster hurt, losing #3 player at break hurts, the Hungarian recruit for January did not make it into UNT, found a good #6 player from TJC, but lack strength at #1-2 positions hurt.

That has been the main detriment it seems for the past few years is the lack of a strong #1 or #2 player in the line-up.

Dawna did put together strong doubles teams but that only constitutes 1 point in D1.

Recruting wise not sure what would be good route, not sure if the restraints have been loosened on foreign recruiting. I do not advocate having more than 2-3 foreign players, but they should all be playing Top 4 since you can find American players by the dozen to play the #4-6 players.

Keeping players also needs to be focused, we have lost to many players each year for whatever reason, happened all 3 years I coached also. Tennis has way to many transfers due to lax rules that allow immediate eligibility at the new school.

Mostly now just waiting to see who the new coach will be, I can name a few that I think would fit well but I am of course not the one making the decisions, I am just a fan.

thanks for your thoughts, you have some interesting points.

I don't mean this to come out the wrong way, but you don't really sound like a fan of this team. You kinda bash the team a lot.

My girlfriend lives with two of the players so I hear a lot about the team from her and it just sounds like there's a lot more to it than what you see on the outside.

thanks for your thoughts, you have some interesting points.

I don't mean this to come out the wrong way, but you don't really sound like a fan of this team. You kinda bash the team a lot.

My girlfriend lives with two of the players so I hear a lot about the team from her and it just sounds like there's a lot more to it than what you see on the outside.

I just see results and compare to the level of the talent just does not seem like the results are there for the talent. Not trying to bash them, just hope for better showings than a high of 7th place.

Plus I talk with other local coaches and play tennis with others who also hear about the program.

Hoping 2006-07 is a better year and coaching the ladies at any school is always an adventure.

I just see results and compare to the level of the talent just does not seem like the results are there for the talent. Not trying to bash them, just hope for better showings than a high of 7th place.

Plus I talk with other local coaches and play tennis with others who also hear about the program.

Hoping 2006-07 is a better year and coaching the ladies at any school is always an adventure.

If you'd been to a matgch you'd know what a poor coach we had. Her idea of coaching was distracting the players during every changover. A lot of stories about her reprehensible conduct after losses. Not enough tennis at practice and too much running resulting in a lot of shin splints. Team looked silly with their shins taped for the matches. You may be right about the freshman leaving - hearing that from several sources. She was the only consistent player.

2 yrs Asst SHSU, 1 yr Asst UNT (mid-year switch from Traxler to Prevette as coach), stopped after SunBelt 2001 due to Graduation and a family illness, plus it just was not much fun anymore at the time.

Miss it sometimes but not the travel.

Poor Dawna ran into a buzzsaw in the match in 99' played Vladka Uhlirova, who subsequently transferred to UT and finished Top 30 in the nation.

The team was lackluster this year but the talent is there.

Have the #2 player from SW Zone, a former 5A state champion, #2 JUCO player, young but talented English player, another SW Zone player.

Did not help losing 2 of their top 6 at semester one to injury and one to transfer.

So you were an assistant under Prevette. Wow. That explains a lot. You saw her conduct first hand and now you wonder why players get fed up and leave? You say you do your reaserch, but you haven't figured out that the weakness is in positions 3-6 where the players had fewer wins than the freshman while they played the weaker opponents in the lower positions. If you'd been to a match you'd know that players 3-6 usually beat themselves with inconsistent play.

If you'd been to a matgch you'd know what a poor coach we had.  Her idea of coaching was distracting the players during every changover.  A lot of stories about her reprehensible conduct after losses.  Not enough tennis at practice and too much running resulting in a lot of shin splints.  Team looked silly with their shins taped for the matches.  You may be right about the freshman leaving - hearing that from several sources.  She was the only consistent player.

I am not going to get into bashing but 3 Asst Coaches with the same opinions says something.

In all honesty I think DP would have been better finding an Asst. Coach position for 1-2 years then maybe seek a HC position but Alan Ward hired her with no searching and threw her into the mix in the middle of the season with no training or experience.

Record-wise looks good but player development was a huge disappointment.

Yes lines 3-6 were not the best and maybe a lack of gameplan or focus in matches.

I had heard of the overtraining from a former walk-on.

Hopefully RV will get serious and do a good search for a new coach.

If you'd been to a matgch you'd know what a poor coach we had.  Her idea of coaching was distracting the players during every changover.  A lot of stories about her reprehensible conduct after losses.  Not enough tennis at practice and too much running resulting in a lot of shin splints.  Team looked silly with their shins taped for the matches.  You may be right about the freshman leaving - hearing that from several sources.  She was the only consistent player.

When you went to the matches how much coaching did the Asst do?

He has a much better track record of coaching if he was allowed to coach and not just be a ball boy/waterboy during practice.

When you went to the matches how much coaching did the Asst do?

He has a much better track record of coaching if he was allowed to coach and not just be a ball boy/waterboy during practice.

The assistant would have been a capable coach - but heading back to Hungary.

He was as frustrated as some of the players with the conduct of the coach.

Retention might have been much better if he had been the coach. He could fix strokes and playing problems while DP was unable to do so.

Too bad SHSU coach is moving out of the area - a class act who knew how to coach and treat his players with respect.

yeah I was disappointed to see Shankles move on from SHSU. Will be competitive on getting a coach right now b/c UNT, UT-Arlington, and SHSU all have positions right now.

I am hoping Shane Zimmerman the NCTC coach applies he would be a great addition and knows the area well with recruits and also has connections in Brazil and Sweden for players.

Greenster shoot me a PM sometime, would like to meet you or chat some more off the board.

Just wanted to set the record straight...

As for UNTbowler's comment... I know from other resources that Scott Shankles is in fact not going to be applying for the head coaching job. He is moving out of Huntsville to a different town in Texas not close to Denton.

As for the comment about the new freshman having the best record (unless you are talking about fall and spring combined) that is not true. The number 6 and 4 had the 2 best records in the spring.

I know some of the players, and Dawna wasn't as bad as all of yall are saying. Sure she had her moments but she did so much for the team and the players.

As for UNTbowler's comment... I know from other resources that Scott Shankles is in fact not going to be applying for the head coaching job. He is moving out of Huntsville to a different town in Texas not close to Denton.

As for the comment about the new freshman having the best record (unless you are talking about fall and spring combined) that is not true. The number 6 and 4 had the 2 best records in the spring.

I know some of the players, and Dawna wasn't as bad as all of yall are saying. Sure she had her moments but she did so much for the team and the players.

thank you for that post... 4 and 6 definitely were the strongest. a lot of teams win their matches in the lower line-up and with the doubles point.

In the spring Sara Giles was a solid pick-up for the #6 spot. Not sure what happened with Ina should was the top recruit last year, must have been injured. Lynley looked like a very good pick-up and played well at 1&2. Sammie stepped up nice at the #4 spot and moved upto the 3 spot.

Overall though the players and coaches could not get the team over the plateau and beat a Top 75 team or come close.

I'll reiterate if RV and company are serious about finding experience Kim Kettleson would be a top pick (Asst. at TJC) or shane Zimmerman (HC @ NCTC), who has 5 years of HC and 1 AC experience.

The HC at TX State might be good but she is new to the position. Brenda Neimeyer at UTSA is a fantastic coach but she is firmly committed to UTSA I believe.

Just my thoughts.

In the spring Sara Giles was a solid pick-up for the #6 spot. Not sure what happened with Ina should was the top recruit last year, must have been injured. Lynley looked like a very good pick-up and played well at 1&2. Sammie stepped up nice at the #4 spot and moved upto the 3 spot.

Overall though the players and coaches could not get the team over the plateau and beat a Top 75 team or come close.

I'll reiterate if RV and company are serious about finding experience Kim Kettleson would be a top pick (Asst. at TJC) or shane Zimmerman (HC @ NCTC), who has 5 years of HC and 1 AC experience.

The HC at TX State might be good but she is new to the position. Brenda Neimeyer at UTSA is a fantastic coach but she is firmly committed to UTSA I believe.

Just my thoughts.

[/quote

Do you know if Shane Zimmerman has applyed for the job or is that just someone you have in mind?