What is Wrong With The Tennis Team?

UNTLifer

UTA Works Past Mean Green Tennis For 7-0 Victory

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 04/12/2006

Courtesy: Rick Yeatts

ARLINGTON (4/12/06) -- The North Texas women’s tennis team (5-16) dropped a 7-0 decision against UT-Arlington (10-7) on Wednesday afternoon at the UTA Tennis Center.

While the Mean Green played several close matches, the Mavericks were still able to sweep both the doubles and singles competition. The Mean Green dropped two matches in a full three sets, while two other flights featured three sets decided by just two points.

North Texas entered the match coming off a 4-1 victory over Stephen F. Austin last Sunday. UTA won its seventh consecutive match, including a victory over No. 66 Louisiana-Lafayette last week.

North Texas returns to the court Saturday when it travels to No. 51 SMU to take on the Mustangs at 10 a.m.

RESULTS

UT-Arlington, 7

North Texas, 0

SINGLES

1. Klara Jagosova (UTA) def. Ina Wieding (NT) 6-1, 6-1

2. Daniela Novakova (UTA) def. Lynley Wasson (NT) 6-4, 7-5

3. Simri van Rooyen (UTA) def. Sammie Moreton (NT) 6-2, 6-0

4. Monika Peciulionyte (UTA) def. Megan Schmulbach (NT) 2-6, 6-2, 10-6

5. Anete Rozkalne (UTA) def. Aziza Aba Butain (NT) 5-7, 7-6, 10-3

6. Marissa Brown (UTA) def. Sara Giles (NT) 7-5, 6-2

DOUBLES

1. Klara Jagosova/Daniela Novakova (UTA) def. Ina Wieding/Aziza Aba Butain (NT) 8-0

2. Monika Peciulionyte/Simri van Rooyen (UTA) def. Megan Schmulbach/Sammie Moreton (NT) 8-4

3. Anete Rozkalne/Marissa Brown (UTA) def. Sara Giles/Lynley Wasson (NT) 8-3

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

players leaving before start of year and at mid-year.

lack of a strong #1-2 punch (a bust on a Top 5 JUCO recruit, again).

Can not close out tight matches, to many win the first set only to lose in 3 sets, lost a ton of 4-3 matches.

A few minor injuries.

They should have 2 scholarships for next year, possibly more if players leave which seems to be a constant over the last 5 years.

UTA is a very good team also, even after their coach resigned last week.

Edited by untbowler

players leaving before start of year and at mid-year.

lack of a strong #1-2 punch (a bust on a Top 5 JUCO recruit, again).

Can not close out tight matches, to many win the first set only to lose in 3 sets, lost a ton of 4-3 matches.

A few minor injuries.

They should have 2 scholarships for next year, possibly more if players leave which seems to be a constant over the last 5 years.

UTA is a very good team also, even after their coach resigned last week.

Nah. We could only afford to hire a tennis coach that would accept $8.50 an hour to coach womens tennis.

• 2 weeks later...

Greenster it is probably not wise to post things on here until it has been official.

If your right then kudos for being an insider but if your wrong, it is not cool to post stuff like that.

I have found nothing to back up your info so far.

Is it "official" that the top player/freshman is leaving? Where did you hear this? Not a good idea to post things here unless it's official.

Is it official that the coach is gone? She is still on the athletic's website.

You guys are sure fast to jump all over Prevette after one bad season due to most players not playing at peek preference due to injury.

Dont forget all the good that she has done for the program:

-In just a little over four years, Prevette has piled up 59 victories that ranks as the second most in school history.

-She has led the Mean Green to double-figure victories the last four season, marking the first time in the program’s 27-year history that the feat has been accomplished.

-Prevette led the Mean Green to 15 victories in 2004, which was the most by any Mean Green squad since the 1986-87 season and the fourth most in school history

She seems to be doing better then any coach we have had before. I would be very surprised if she got fired, after all she has done for the program over one bad season - hell Dickey is still here isnt he, he had a bad season.

Edited by LadyGreen

the main focus should be getting into the Top4 of Conference and also into the NCAA Tournament, highest finish in Conference is 6th.

Has never beaten or come close to beating a Top 75 program.

Has consistently lost players each year, transfer, personal whatever.

I compare to Denver b/c in 2001 both programs were equal, both had new coaches and Denver beat UNT 5-4 then. Now UNT is still near the bottom of the Belt and Denver has played in the Sun Belt Finals 2/3 year including one trip to NCAA.

Somewhat easy to gain wins depending on competition and UNT has never focused on Tennis or finding/keeping experienced tennis coaches. If Coach Prevette is still here great, but improvement has to be made and retainment of players has to improve.

the main focus should be getting into the Top4 of Conference and also into the NCAA Tournament, highest finish in Conference is 6th.

Has never beaten or come close to beating a Top 75 program.

Has consistently lost players each year, transfer, personal whatever.

I compare to Denver b/c in 2001 both programs were equal, both had new coaches and Denver beat UNT 5-4 then. Now UNT is still near the bottom of the Belt and Denver has played in the Sun Belt Finals 2/3 year including one trip to NCAA.

Somewhat easy to gain wins depending on competition and UNT has never focused on Tennis or finding/keeping experienced tennis coaches. If Coach Prevette is still here great, but improvement has to be made and retainment of players has to improve.

How do you guys know all of this stuff?? the tennis team definitely struggled this year. I mean, 5-16? or whatever their record was this year. That's horrible. I heard they had a lot of injuries though. But I mean, don't other teams have injuries??

How do you guys know all of this stuff?? the tennis team definitely struggled this year. I mean, 5-16? or whatever their record was this year. That's horrible. I heard they had a lot of injuries though. But I mean, don't other teams have injuries??

I just follow Tennis and College Tennis very closely, plus I was an Asst. Coach for 3 years at the D1 level so I followed a lot of players and still follow rankings at the Junior, College, Senior, and Pro level. I am a dork stats. Plus I still talk with many tennis pros in the Denton/Dallas areas so I see the talent level.

I have seen how many programs that were at the same level or just below UNT start to flourish (i.e. Denver, FIU, SE Louisiana, Sam Houston) while UNT has been stuck in basically neutral for the past 5-6 years.

Part of it is talent, I am thinking there is a limit on who is recruited. I know RV is a strong proponent of limiting foreign players, but honestly 99% of schools need to have 2-3 foreign players, but they need to be top of the line-up not #4-6 players.

UNT has one true foreign recruit and had 2 transfers.

I just hope the team improves and makes better showings next year, b/c the SBC getting stronger with the addtion of Troy this year (finished 3rd), FAU and ULM next year and both of the those teams are young, FAU lose no one (plus have a coach with Tour Experience), and ULM has a first year coach and barely lost to UNT 4-3 this year.

I just follow Tennis and College Tennis very closely, plus I was an Asst. Coach for 3 years at the D1 level so I followed a lot of players and still follow rankings at the Junior, College, Senior, and Pro level. I am a dork stats. Plus I still talk with many tennis pros in the Denton/Dallas areas so I see the talent level.

I have seen how many programs that were at the same level or just below UNT start to flourish (i.e. Denver, FIU, SE Louisiana, Sam Houston) while UNT has been stuck in basically neutral for the past 5-6 years.

Part of it is talent, I am thinking there is a limit on who is recruited. I know RV is a strong proponent of limiting foreign players, but honestly 99% of schools need to have 2-3 foreign players, but they need to be top of the line-up not #4-6 players.

UNT has one true foreign recruit and had 2 transfers.

I just hope the team improves and makes better showings next year, b/c the SBC getting stronger with the addtion of Troy this year (finished 3rd), FAU and ULM next year and both of the those teams are young, FAU lose no one (plus have a coach with Tour Experience), and ULM has a first year coach and barely lost to UNT 4-3 this year.

Well, I read your post comparing the NT team to the DU team when they both had new head coaches and I may be wrong about this but i don't agree with your comparison. The only similarity I see between the two programs is that they both got new head coaches that year. I mean, DU was already established as a strong team all around. NT was not as strong as DU. I'm talking about rankings and performance history. Just because NT lost to DU in a close match doesn't meant that NT was on par with DU. Any team can get to a 4-3 match against any other team on any given day.

You said you are a stats nerd but just out of curiosity, have you ever been to a match?

Well, I read your post comparing the NT team to the DU team when they both had new head coaches and I may be wrong about this but i don't agree with your comparison. The only similarity I see between the two programs is that they both got new head coaches that year. I mean, DU was already established as a strong team all around. NT was not as strong as DU. I'm talking about rankings and performance history. Just because NT lost to DU in a close match doesn't meant that NT was on par with DU. Any team can get to a 4-3 match against any other team on any given day. 

You said you are a stats nerd but just out of curiosity, have you ever been to a match?

DU was not a strong establishd team at that time. At the time of the match UNT was the #8 seed and Denver was the #9 seed. I was at the match also in Mobile. I also coached against Dawna herself in Spring 1999. So the comparision would be accurate. Denver only the last 3years has established themselves as the #2 team in the Sun Belt behind FIU and ahead of perennial favorite USA.

****Taken from DU website on Review of 2000-01 Season******

Closing out the season, Denver finished the year winning just one more match in its final five outings to cap the campaign with a 5-13 mark. That lone win came in the team's final match at the Sun Belt Conference Tournament, earning the Pioneers a ninth place SBC finish.

So Denver was not a power. They beat UNT 5-4 (forgot they were still using old scoring system) as match came down to I believe Line 4 Singles with Kristen Beedy playing Rossi Thomas.

Edited by untbowler