UNT vs. SMU, who will win

UNT_playmaker

As of right at this moment, SMU seems to have a little more going for them then us, they beat UTEP, at el paso, does anyone remember our last win, FI?

Coach Dickey, and company, if SMU gets more votes, than that shows the confidence of mean green nation, in what we think of you and also the team you are going to put on the field.

The UNT - SMU game is the biggest game at fouts in years, forget, that, biggest game in years for both of these long-time rivals. the winner takes bragging rights for being the hot team in the metro plex and also has a head up in recruiting, donations, and exposure.

With Dickey in the Driver's seat, SMU has the clear edge unfortunately.

Remember this game is important to the fans, and it is Out of Conference.

Plus SMU won't just roll over.

All things necessary for DD to blow off the game. mad.gif

Could be another Tulsa. wink.gif

There is actually more truth to this than you may think.

I think SMU is going to suprise a lot of people this year. They finished strong, and were "in" all of their games (with the exception of A&M and a random Tulane game). They barely lost to Tulsa and beat UTEP and Houston to finish the season. From what I understand, they didnt lose very many starters.

Basically, we have a lot more question marks than they do. I wouldnt just assume this is a win as this isnt the same SMU team as years past.

Edited by Eagle1855

With Dickey in the Driver's seat, SMU has the clear edge unfortunately.

Remember this game is important to the fans, and it is Out of Conference.

Plus SMU won't just roll over.

All things necessary for DD to blow off the game. mad.gif

I don't know if it will be DD's fault if we lose this game - but a nice set up to pin his job on an opponent we won't be favored against.

If we lose to Texas I would fire Van Malone. Oh, dang it...

We win this one, and for the reasons we all saw in spring ball..

1. Jamario is back in the drivers seat. I loved PC too, but rotating RB's and not having the consistency makes a difference. Jamario is ready and will be a force again.

2. DL. For the first time since BK left, we have a legitimate pass-rushing DT in Isaac Thomas and a DE in Ransom. I think Chapman is a good player, but he is more of a containment and tackles guy. Ransome. Burruss, and Gilmore give us outside speed to the QB. Yes, there are still questions on about the DL... but have you guys seen SMU's offensive line? I did twice in person last year and most of those guys are coming back. Not great for Pony fans, but good for Thomas, Burruss, and Ransom.

3. The 3-4 defense. Take away the middle routes and there goes TE Vincent chase. His brother Bobby is a very big WR at 6-4 and has speed, and the 3-4 defense allows the safeties to stay back in coverage. I would be shocked if Weathers doesnt have at least one pick while playing back on Bobby Chase. (Last year's SMU offensive MVP) SMU also has Phillip Burley coming in as a freshman WR-burner. We need our secondary stay back, and to not have to play up in run support. Our strength on defense has got to be LB speed. Graves, Monroe. Nwigwe, Holman, Mahan.... we have more speed reading the ball then most 3-4's. I feel good about our matchup there. Of course for the 3-4 to work we have to get pressure from the front three. Anyone who saw spring ball knows we are better there.

4. OL. I have to admit I am not sure how much better we are relating to skill, but size and althleticism????..we are just bigger and better. I am not sure who we end up with as a starters, but Jamario benefits from the holes that will be open up front this year. It seemed at times last year that the holes were not there often, and PC had to create lanes on his own. If what we saw in the spring is an indicator, we should be okay at OL. The only problem they had was Isaac Thomas, and I suspect other teams are about to get their dose of him too.

5. WR. After watching the SMU secondary last year I noticed a pattern. FIrst, they are aggressive, which is why they had the interceptions they had in the second half of the season. But they also got beat deep a LOT, which is why they lost at leat three of those games. That secondary takes chances...and gives up the big play. Johnny Quinn, Brandon Jackson, and Joel Nwigwe are burners. I see huge oportunities there. Muzzy and Stickler are very good crossing-route kinda guys who can get you first downs. I have to like our chances there too? I watched Baylor torch that SMU secondary with the Dime package in there. The SMU defense is geared for the battle up front. Good front four with good linebacker speed. I think Johnny Quinn has a career game.

There are plenty of reasons to feel good about this game, but it will come down to play-calling as much as matchups. I hope RF is up to the task. I would feel better about our chances if we could get out to a 14 point lead and let our 3-4 have some fun blitzing. At least with Romo back their last year, the blitz tore him up. He is gone now and SMU will have a new signal caller. (Chris Phillips) I think we have what it takes to rattle him.

I think we hear a lot of "tackle made for a 5 yard loss by Isaac Thomas"...

GMG!!! biggrin.gif

Maybe so... or maybe our team will surprise everyone.. I certainly hope so...

Also I REALLY like the helmet, except maybe the NT could be a little larger... you know, make a statement!

everybody i knew thought we would beat tulsa, a private school from okie, in our own home turf. but man was i shocked, i compare smu and tulsa and their similarities, and what can happen to us from SMU, we will be a better team no doubt, i can assure you of that. But i am so fed up from our coach's being outcoached.

You can begin to imagine the Campaign to Fire Coach Dickey, if we lost to SMU, if thought it was bad after the tulsa loss, wait till after a SMU loss....

Down with SMUt

you have no idea what a UNT win will

quicker stadium built, donations will rise, SMUt donations will drop, he he, and Craig James will start to say i almost considered playing for NT at one time....

Nt will have a great OOC win to have under its belt and will look good for the La Tech game

Amen, Brother Green!!!

nobody hates smu more than me, but i want to get our team and especially our coach fired up about this game, if we lose to SMU i will be so heart broken

---The "group" that hates SMU the most are those of us who were alive to remember when they "shot down" our bid to enter the SWC which changed our athletic history "big time". We have also enduring years of insults from their officials in the media (especially in DMN) and their arrogance especially when they have nothing to be arrogant about. Most of all are the times when they claim they have the only "whatever" program in the metroplex when they know very well we have the same program and often a more successful one.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Oh how I hate SMU, but what's funny, a very good friend of mine hates SMU and he's a SMU ALUM!!

I've almost got him convinced to wear a shirt saying "This SMU Alum hates SMU" and cheer on our side of the field.  biggrin.gif

Emmitt knows a good shirtmaker. And we could probably gather up funds for the shirt pretty quick.