Practice Report

Harry

I witnessed most of the practice today. A couple of things to keep in mind - these practices are in shoulder pads and shorts so it is really difficult to access how certain positions are doing especially in the line and with the linebackers. That said, there are some things to gather in watching the skill positions especially in the 7-on-7 drills.

Here are some of my observations by positions:

- there is a 4-5 quarterback rotation that goes in order, Dan Meager/Woody Wilson/Matt Phillips/Jon Ieans/Cullen Mills (yes he is baaack) and Kellen Haynes. On this day Mills might have been the best but both Wilson and Meager had their moments. Phillips was not particularly sharp. But it's early.

Since Wilson is the new guy let me pontificate on him for a bit. He's not a really big guy but he has the look of an athlete. He has a fairly nice throwing motion and decent arm strength. He is not a pure passer and whether or not he can throw the long ball with consistency remains a question in my mind.

Meager looks bigger and stronger. Still has the lapses in the short passing games at times but also had some really nice throws, especially a deep one that drew a high five from Coach Flanigan.

- At running back, Jamario has lost about 10-pounds and appears to have reclaimed his speed. Running behind him is Evan Robertson and I like Robertson's hands out of the backfield. Deavin Cox has moved over as reported in the DRC and will be an interesting player there. He has really good speed and is probably the strongest running back we have sans Kerona Henderson. The usual suspects are also there including James Mitchell etc.. Henderson is the fullback in most sets that require one.

- WR - Quinn is running track and so I saw a lot of Jo-El Nwigwe, Brandon Jackson, Brock Stickler, and Zach Muzzy. Casey Fitzgerald had a nice day and so did Korey Washington. I just have a sense that Washington will be something special for us - I love his speed. We are deep at receiver folks. I think Jackson will be a really good player, Muzzy has great hands and Stickler seems to be back in form. Others getting looks included Isiah Smith and Art Stubblefield. I do not think Roy Covington is with the team anymore as there was another player wearing his jersey number. There's a guy named Guy Fernandez that is scary fast and tall. If he could ever catch a pass he could be something special.

- TE - Finally got to see Brian Carlson and let me tell you he is a load. Every bit of 6-5, 255/260 and could be bigger. I was fairly impressed with him but lets please wait until the pads are on. Surprise for me, Beau Davidson is back for another year although he is wearing a red shirt meaning he can't be hit...he's still not 100% but I like that he could be back. He musto received a medical redshirt from last season. Also getting reps were Robert Harmon, Charley Brown and Ronald Hull has returned from severe injuries to be back with the team.

DB - Really like some of the athletes we have here. Desmond Chatman is a physical specimen at corner. The rumors of Antoine Bush's ability at cover corner are true and Dom Green looks like he hasn't lost a step. The starters at corner are Tyrone Carter who is smallish but very technically sound and Green. At safety I saw a lot of Steve Warren who looks like he really has pumped the iron and Roderick Cotton. Aaron Weathers is sitting out of drills for some reason but he looks ok. They are really getting some good coaching from Fred Bliel who impressed me a lot today. You can tell he trying to build a strong and trusting relationship with his players from the start. Biggest surprise was seeing Gary Oubre out there in the mix. Looks like he has made his way back.

OL - Stanley is playing center behind Rose. I swear I saw Bryan Glass back out there. Starting OLine is Rose, Venegas, Brown (at guard) and Foster and Josh Alexander at tackle. It will change. Jack Crumes and Ajani Banks are playing second team guard. Not much to report here.

LB At linebacker we have 4 starters which look right now to be Holman and Monroe in the inside and Gilmore and Graves on the outside positions. I was intrigued with this lineup as it presented a mixture of speed, size, and ability. It dawned on me that we have a lot of different types of linebackers that can play. The challenge will be to find the right mix. Nwigwe looks big and strong as does Mendoza. Don't forget about Davenport and Mahan either.

DL - Issac Thomas looks healthy again, and Bugar was praising Jon Stewart and interestingly they had Burris over there as well. It's just too early to draw any conclusions over here. The usual suspects, Joe Miller, Montey Stevenson, etc were there. No surprises and no proven playmakers.

It's early so a lot more will be able to be evaluated once the pads come on as always.

I am pretty sure I saw the RB Coaching candidate in attendance. Brewster is coaching the O-Line along with Ethridge which is nice to see. Barela is working with the RB's. Dickey looks a lot better and seems more like his old self. I can't emphasize enough what a nice impression I had of Bliel - I really like the way this guy runs his practices and he seems to do very well with the players.

That's it for now. The first day of full pads looks like Friday and it would be a nice practice to visit if you can. Everyone has a clean slate on defense and I imagine they will be trying to make a good impression for Bliel...should be fun!

Harry, can you fill me in on Gary Qubue I remember last year he was the rave of the new guys and then I've read that he fell out of favor from some individuals on this board? Who is guard Glass that you mentioned, I don't recall his name?

Vryan Glass was a true freshman last year (redshirted) The media guide shows him OL, 6-0, 280 from Paris HS in Paris, TX. I believe last year there was a question of a back disability which prevented him from playing. Reportedly he has been cleared to play. Don't know how much he has improved in his weight. Someone...?...wasn't he the OL that Stallings said he would have recruited at Alabama?

There's a guy named Guy Fernandez that is scary fast and tall. If he could ever catch a pass he could be something special.

Ahh, the return of Featherstone! I thought his eligibility was up.

Noticed Lineberry wasn't mentioned along the OL. Is he injured?

Yes Lineberry had the same surgery that Dan Meager had on his shoulder. Lineberry is there but he is not practicing.

Oubre is there and he looked pretty good. He's a guy that can help us if he is healthy and has his head on straight. I was surprised to see him out there I thought he had left the team.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I hate to say anything about a person's size but Oubre is short. He does seem to have good speed and perhaps coverage skills but 5'7" cornerbacks don't usually make it in Division 1-A. I realize that Carter is in the same boat and Green isn't much taller.

I'm glad to hear that Bush and Chatman are doing well. I was pulling for those two along with Washington and Stubblefield to solve our cornerback problem. But, I think of Washington as an offensive player and I'm glad that they are using his skills there. It's still early for Stubblefield and maybe he could move up.

Corner is my greatest concern of all the positions. We have almost no experience there, even though there does seem to be o.k. talent.

Good write up, Harry. I was surprised that Roy Covington was not with the team?This was supposed to be his year. Any word on what happend there? Also, Darrell Dickey was on the halftime show with George Dunham last night (Bball game) and said J-mo was not running track this year so he could focus on football and not have groin issues this year. I'm surprised he is okay with Quinn running track again? If your best RB isnt worth risking, why let your best WR run? Seems like a risk based on J-Mo's injury last season...

Good stuff! Still wating to see what happens with the QB spot, but looks like a good session of spring ball coming.

GMG!!!

I hate to say anything about a person's size but Oubre is short.  He does seem to have good speed and perhaps coverage skills but 5'7" cornerbacks don't usually make it in Division 1-A.  I realize that Carter is in the same boat and Green isn't much taller. 

I'm glad to hear that Bush and Chatman are doing well.  I was pulling for those two along with Washington and Stubblefield to solve our cornerback problem.  But, I think of Washington as an offensive player and I'm glad that they are using his skills there.  It's still early for Stubblefield and maybe he could move up. 

Corner is my greatest concern of all the positions.  We have almost no experience there, even though there does seem to be o.k. talent.

The funny thing is how small a role Oubre's height plays into his difficulty. For a guy who is so obviously fast, he has a tough time staying with recievers. I really can't say I've ever seen his height be a detriment, because I really haven't noticed him lose a jumpball, which, really, is the main reason you want tall guys at reciever and DB.

Tyrone Carter is another guy who you don't want covering the step back fade on the goal line, but he is very technically sound and might be the best blend of experience, technique, and skill we have. He stayed step for step with his guy on the deep routes, although the crossing routes and quick slants sometimes give him trouble. But then again, those routes give anyone trouble when the main focus is not giving up the big play.

Bush and Green will probably both log significant playing time. I remember remarking to Harry at the Arky State game that, after T.J. Covington was yanked for blowing off his coverage assignments, and Green went in cold and performed just as well as a Senior who had the prototype NFL CB body, that we might have something in him. Bush got a solid redshirt year in and has drawn praise as probably the best cover corner on the team.

Chatman is something of an enigma. He has 4.5 speed and a great CB frame, and has made a few good plays, but really hasn't distinguished himself from the pack.

If the UT game were tomorrow, I'd start Carter and Green, with Bush in on nickel situations.

Stubblefield (#15) is lining up at WR.

Wasn't venegas a pretty highly regarded recruit?  Nice to see him in the mix.  He has some good size.

Hopefully this year we can have a line where all the starters weigh over 290. I'm sorry but when you have a guy on the O-line who only weighs 268, that a problem. Now with juco all-american Stanley at center this should be a much improved line. Hopefully Venegas and/or Banks can break into the starting line.

Any predictions on the starting day O-line?

I think and hope that DD might go after a late juco OL.