UNT coaching changes announced today

cjones

North Texas - Announced the retirement of running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Bruce Bell; announced the resignations of defensive backs coach Van Malone and tight ends coach Duke Atterberry; promoted defensive coordinator Kenny Evans to assistant head coach; named Fred Bleil defensive coordinator.

North Texas - Announced the retirement of running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Bruce Bell; announced the resignations of defensive backs coach Van Malone and tight ends coach Duke Atterberry; promoted defensive coordinator Kenny Evans to assistant head coach; named Fred Bleil defensive coordinator.

Man, Atterberry didn't stick around long. Here is something from Bleil's last stop:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...1s6azreact.html

Man, Atterberry didn't stick around long.  Here is something from Bleil's last stop:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...1s6azreact.html

Ok, for those who were around in the 96-97 seasons when Bleil was already here, what can we expect? Sounds like he came to us instead of us searching him out.

What are we to think of all these coaching changes? Unrest within the staff or simply a "cleaning house" of sorts?

OK, I was at UNT with Bliel. One of my favorite coaches at NT. He is intense, he is a great secondary coach and well respected nationally for that. I think he will do a great job at NT. I realize this is a coach bashing board, but you got love getting a guy who has been at NT and wanted to come back! I wish him all the best and lookforward to seeing his Defense next year!

GMG!

OK, I was at UNT with Bliel. One of my favorite coaches at NT. He is intense, he is a great secondary coach and well respected nationally for that. I think he will do a great job at NT. I realize this is a coach bashing board, but you got love getting a guy who has been at NT and wanted to come back!  I wish him all the best and lookforward to seeing his Defense next year!

GMG!

Glad to hear that.............anyone else?

Edited by Zeke

So, we lost three and hired one? Are they prepping Evans to take DD's place in the future? Seems to me that the loss of Bell, Malone and Atterbury will hurt the most in recruiting especially in the Houston area. I would hope that the new coaches are in place by the start of Spring practice.

so we lose 3 coaches who are great recruiters for the Houston yet once again we get no one from the Dallas ISD, which had a ton of talent and we keep that recruiter, no wonder coaches do not stay here long.

Think we will be missing these guys greatly next season, didn't Atterberry also recruit Oklahoma also??

so we lose 3 coaches who are great recruiters for the Houston yet once again we get no one from the Dallas ISD, which had a ton of talent and we keep that recruiter, no wonder coaches do not stay here long.

Think we will be missing these guys greatly next season, didn't Atterberry also recruit Oklahoma also??

I don't believe Duke recruited the Houston area...he was from Pawuska Ok and his ability to recruit the East Half of OK came from the fact he knew all the HS coaches and they all like him....he was also good friends with the coaches at NEO and coffeville JUCO schools which made him a big asset. I thought he was a great person....but, some of the TE's wanted to go after him instead of the guy they were suppose to be blocking..I won't say anymore than that because he is a good friend and he always was a straight shooter with me and besides..if they can't take a hard time from the coach then they can go play D-2 ball somewhere. I wish him the best!

Edited by MeanGreenPOP

I don't believe Duke recruited the Houston area...he was from Pawuska Ok and his ability to recruit the East Half of OK came from the fact he knew all the HS coaches and they all like him....he was also good friends with the coaches at NEO and coffeville JUCO schools which made him a big asset.  I thought he was a great person....but, some of the TE's wanted to go after him instead of the guy they were suppose to be blocking..I won't say anymore than that because he is a good friend and he always was a straight shooter with me and besides..if they can't take a hard time from the coach then they can go play D-2 ball somewhere.  I wish him the best!

Sounds like he was disciplinarian, which the team needed, but now lack even more.

How much of this changing of the "guard" is because Coach Dickey is on the HOT SEAT this year???

Does he want to keep the same staff that has placed UNT in the precarious situation that we now face??? For example being #110 out of 117 D-1A teams, having a pourous defense and having an sporatic offense.

Men who coach college football know the risks of unproductive programs.

I do wish the coaches who were released the best of luck in finding new positions for them and their families.

So what kind of D did Bleil run at SDSU?  Is he known to use blitz's heavily etc?

Anyone care to speculate if he'll bring a new system with him?

I am not sure what they were running in SD. When he was here last, it was the same 4-3 cover 2 shell you have been seeing. I think he probably blitzes more than Evans may have. You never know what he will do till we see it. I truly believe we got the right guy. Can't wait to see it in Austin.