DW*Telegram Harold Steward exceeding expectations

OldTimer

COLLEGES INSIDER NORTH TEXAS MEN'S BASKETBALLFreshman is exceeding expectationsBy Jeff WilsonStar-Telegram Staff WriterDENTON -- As first impressions go, Harold Stewart was left overwhelmed.

The incoming North Texas freshman learned quickly that Division I college basketball players are much bigger and stronger than those he had faced in District 15-4A as the star for Crowley High.

Only a few summer pickup games with the Mean Green left Stewart feeling lean and green and seeing red. But not for long

"One night I talked to my dad about redshirting," he said. "But then practice started, I started getting in the rotation and playing good, and redshirting was out the window."

A player who started the season hoping to get "six minutes" a game has emerged as one of UNT's top post defenders, despite weighing only 185 pounds.

Forget six minutes. The 6-foot-8 forward from Fort Worth has become a starter for the defensive-minded Mean Green.

"I thought he had a great deal of skills, but I didn't know how much he'd play because of his size," UNT coach Johnny Jones said. "You look at him, and he's wiry. But he's strong, quick, a competitor in the post, and he knows how to play."

Jones said Stewart is the team's best athlete, combining his long arms, soft hands, quick feet and energy into a player who can defend inside and out.

He's second on the team in blocked shots, and his steal on the perimeter and ensuing layup Jan. 16 secured a key 72-70 Sun Belt Conference victory over Denver. He scored the final two baskets against the Pioneers, finishing with eight points, seven rebounds, four steals and a blocked shot.

"I wasn't sure if he'd be this far along," Jones said. "He does an excellent job defending on the perimeter. He can go out and play against [guards] if he has to."

Stewart also has a knack for creating and getting to loose balls. He overcame four Troy players last week for a rebound to extend a late possession and help preserve an 84-77 victory.

"The best thing I think I do is play hard and not being scared of anybody," Stewart said. "No matter who it is, I'm going to play the same against everybody."

Stewart said he didn't turn his attention to basketball until seventh grade. He developed quickly, impressing scouts at various summer tournaments in 2004. He averaged 16.9 points and 11.6 rebounds as a senior at Crowley.

He was averaging 5.1 points and 3.9 rebounds entering Thursday's game at Louisiana-Lafayette. He leads the team in field-goal percentage (57.4 percent) and had a career-high 16 points Dec. 30 against Stephen F. Austin.

He and Jones expect his offense to improve as he adds bulk and improves his jump shot.

"I think size is limiting me a little bit right now," said Stewart, 19. "I'm still a little raw. I want to develop ballhandling and shooting. In the off-season, that's when I'm going to try to get better."