Coach Dickey's Health

Huff

I visited with Coach Dickey for a few minutes in his office just before the start of the press confernce today. He said that on Sunday after the final recruits had left the office area he started to sweat a lot. He said that he felt a real tightness and hurting in his chest. Once they got him to the hospital all the "big stuff" was ruled out. He said he does not have a heart problem of any kind and that all the major problems that he could have had have been eliminated. He said that they were still waiting on the results from some tests that were run while he was in the hospital. He said that he had never been poked and prodded so much in all his life. He said it was the only time in his life that he had been flat on his back for three straight days. He looked very tired. At the press confernce he started by thanking all the North Texas fans who had contacted him and/or offered their prayers or other means of support. Eric Capper mentioned that Coach Dickey had been in the hospital so his remarks would be very brief. Coach Dickey went over the recruits from the podium in a very general way. Eric then suggested that he sit down to answer any questions. Coach Dickey did sit down but then realized that the press confernce was being televised so returned to the podium to answer questions. When all the questions ended, Eric Capper then thanked everyone for coming and ended the confernce. Coach Dickey sat down and several reporters (and a few others) came to where he was sitting to ask a few more follow up questions. Rick Villerreal indicated to me that Coach Dickey's gall bladdar might have to be removed. He did not mention where he got that information or when the surgery might be done. That surgery is not nearly as serious as it once was. My wife had it done on an outpatient basis a few years ago. Rick seemed to feel like the problems were as a result of Coach Dickey going very hard during recruiting while not being home to try to eat right or get enough rest.

I think we are all delighted that Coach Dickey's condition is not related to his heart or any of the "big stuff" (as he put it). A little time, some rest, and some of his wife's great cooking should put him on the road back to good health before too long.

Thanks for the update.

There are three things that can cause that kind of pain in the chest. Heart, hernia, and gall bladder. I am glad that it is not the heart or anything else life threatining at this point. Continued prayers for DD and for his doctors to determine the exact cause. If some kind of surgery(and that is obviously speculation right now) is necesarry immediately, who will lead Spring Practice in a couple of weeks?

Guest JohnDenver

There are three things that can cause that kind of pain in the chest. Heart, hernia, and gall bladder. I am glad that it is not the heart or anything else life threatining at this point. Continued prayers for DD and for his doctors to determine the exact cause. If some kind of surgery(and that is obviously speculation right now) is necesarry immediately, who will lead Spring Practice in a couple of weeks?

There are more too.

1) Pulmonary Embolism -- brought on by his smoking

Symptoms:

* a sudden feeling of apprehension

* shortness of breath

* sharp chest pain

* rapid pulse

* sweating

* cough with bloody sputum

* fainting

2) Severe Panic attack -- brought on my recruiting season

Symptom:

During a panic attack, most likely your heart will pound and you may feel sweaty, weak, faint, or dizzy. Your hands may tingle or feel numb, and you might feel flushed or chilled. You may have nausea, chest pain or smothering sensations ...

There are more too.

1) Pulmonary Embolism -- brought on by his smoking

Symptoms:

*  a sudden feeling of apprehension

* shortness of breath

* sharp chest pain

* rapid pulse

* sweating

* cough with bloody sputum

* fainting

2) Severe Panic attack -- brought on my recruiting season

Symptom:

During a panic attack, most likely your heart will pound and you may feel sweaty, weak, faint, or dizzy. Your hands may tingle or feel numb, and you might feel flushed or chilled. You may have nausea, chest pain or smothering sensations ...

A pulmonary embolism would be considered one of the "big things" and kinda fits with the whole heart thing. I think your guess about a panic attack is really good though.

If it's his gallbladder, and if he has "band-aid" surgery (like my wife did), he'll be able to preside over spring ball. But he'll need to have it done this week.

I am very sorry to hear about this. I am very relieved that it doesn't appear to be cardio-vascular in nature.

He needs to stop smoking.......as does everyone who smokes.