Carson Coffman chooses KState over NT

OldTimer

I'm not sure what to think about what some people say on this board. A lot of people whine and cry that we don't go after highly rated recruits, and when we do some of the same people whine and cry that we "put all our eggs in one basket", and the like. For NT to go after highly rated recruits I would assume that we would have to pitch playing time and being THE guy to get him to come here. NT doesn't have the ability, or the resources for that matter, to go after a lot of highly rated recruits. Anyways, just something I was thinking about. I'm sure someone will come set me straight about how we should be battling UT and OU for all the same recruits.

Then I wonder how we ever recruited the top ranked Texas HS recruit in 1977, ie, **Milton Collins. TAMU (among about 75 other schools) wanted him very much, too, but that was back in the day when NT leadership didn't "po' boy" everything about NT, yet instilled a "can do" spirit and pride that even little ol' NORTH TEXAS could swim with the sharks and also go after high profile recruits while even being able to sign some of them, too. We just simply had a higher self esteem about ourselves back in that day.

A university's constituency most always seems to adopt the attitude of those in charge or at the top. Garbage in--garbage out<>*<>if you think you can't--you probably can't and you probably won't.

** Nevermind the fact that Milton Collins was not the raging success all Texas D1-A schools (& many across the USA) who recruited him thought he would be collegiately, but the fact remains that it was UNT (out of all those others) who was still the one who signed him on that cold, snowy national recruiting signing day back in February, circa 1977.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**** None of this has never, never been about a person's character, worth or their personal integrity, but just merely what many feel are simply limitations of talents and abilities as to how far up they can actually take us up the NCAA ladder and away from our present standing among the balance of NCAA D1-A membership (outside the Sun Belt Conference).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm gratified that the coaching staff went after someone that they thought would help the program. However, I think that they should have better spent their time and energy on players that really wanted to be here, and were more........motivated.

I believe that Scott Hall came here because he was motivated to succeed at QB, and no other program was willing to give him a shot at QB.

I was re-reading an article recently in an old Texas Football about my favorite QB Jordan Case. Case was overlooked because he was injured in HS. He went to Sul Ross St and played one year there. He was either newcomer of the year or freshman of the year in that league. He then wrote a letter to the North Texas coaching staff, asking that he be given a chance to play at North Texas.

I'm assuming that the coaching staff at that time was impressed both by his freshman showing (in a less than impressive league) as well as his level of motivation to be here. The rest, (for those who had the pleasure of watching him play) is history. Jordan Case was a player with outstanding talent, as well as an incredible drive to succeed. He was also a person of incredible character.

To me, being able to assess/judge those things in a recruit is a very valuable asset as a coach/recruiter.

Edited by SilverEagle

The coaches are correct to pursue the highest caliber players that will listen to their pitch. I always say "If you want to park in the front row, you have to LOOK in the front row."

I'm not sure what to think about what some people say on this board. A lot of people whine and cry that we don't go after highly rated recruits, and when we do some of the same people whine and cry that we "put all our eggs in one basket", and the like. For NT to go after highly rated recruits I would assume that we would have to pitch playing time and being THE guy to get him to come here. NT doesn't have the ability, or the resources for that matter, to go after a lot of highly rated recruits. Anyways, just something I was thinking about. I'm sure someone will come set me straight about how we should be battling UT and OU for all the same recruits.

Since my quote is noted in your post, I'm sure this was aimed at me. My complaint is that we should do both, pick a highly rated QB, go after him, but have a backup plan in place. Instead, NT goes after one, loses out on him to another school and has nothing to show for it.